TCCoA Forums banner

New project - '90 Super Coupe

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  scottjohnston 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. This is my first Super Coupe and its a 1990. I picked it up yesterday for $175. Overall, the body isnt too bad. The driver side rocker panel is shot. The interior is in good condition. The car has 113k on it and its a 5 speed.

From what I understand from the previous owner, he bought to fix up and found he didnt have the time. I guess the owner before him had put in a high performance camshaft. The camshaft was not installed properly and it came out. So you can imagine what might have happened. I purchased the car with the engine already torn apart. I found some goodies in the trunk. I found 1.7 Scorpion Roller Rockers, Comp Cams hardened pushrods, BBK 70 mm throttle body, some sort of aftermarket mass air, I found a super chips setup on the computer, it has a short throw shifter, and supposively a stage 2 clutch. The hard part will be putting this thing back together. I have thought out two different game plans. 1, being to repair what is needed and assemble, 2 would be do buy a new engine. I have yet to remove the heads so I have no clue what the valves look like. The camshaft is obviously boogered up. I am not seeing any damaged lifters though. So we shall see. Overall.. I am happy with the purchase. I only paid $175 for this thing so how can you go wrong??

See less See more
#2 ·
This is the camshaft. I actually have two of them. Not sure if the one is a stock cam. The first camshaft is the damaged one. This one is a custom cam. Not sure on the manufacturer but it has specs stamped on the end.

Then the other cam. Nothing wrong with it. But here is the ID.

#3 ·
With you having a 90 need to also be concerned about the ABS, and Ignition systems.

If it were me I'd just rebuild/repair the engine. Else you need a SC long block, or 4.2 block and crank with new forged rods, or a 01+ block with SC rotating assembly.

Depending on your goals need to make decision about the blower/plenum. Need to see what kind of work has been done to the heads. Personally I wouldn't do a new cam and rockers with out going to bigger valves, but you just need to see what was done.

#4 ·
Good point.. I have no clue on the heads. The guy that I bought it from told me that he thought the guy had the exhaust ported and polished. I have yet to pull the heads. I was going through the trunk and inventorying what I have. I will need new lifters. The ones that I have are either chewed up or missing the lower end. :frown2:

I will also need at least 1 retainer for the lifters. Does anyone know if the 5.0 roller lifters are the same? I have a set but not with me at the moment. To me, they look identical. The retainer pieces are different though. Perhaps someone on here might have 1 retainer piece.

#5 ·
I might have one but you would have better luck on SCCOA.

#6 ·
The 5.0 lifters are not the same, however the lifters are the same for all 3.8s and 4.2s, so they won't be hard to find. I would buy all new ones given the way that engine failed. I will also look in my stash of parts, I might have a lifter retainer for you.

#7 ·
I ended up throwing the lifters away. There were only 2 or 3 that were any good. I'm rather curious on what the exhaust ports look like. I can't imagine someone putting a stage 2 clutch in with an aftermarket cam with tb and Mass air and not touch the heads. I have the second cam that is not damaged. I have no clue what kind it is. Not seeing a Ford part number stamped on it.

#10 ·
Parts Request!

Willing to part with the shifter handle? I definitely want it! Also, the clear corners and the d/s tail lamp.

Are the roller rockers any good? I'd be interested in those if they are. Possibly the BBK 70mm TB.

#9 ·
Sorry to hear that, man. It's getting harder to find good 'Birds, especially here in the rust belt. At least the price was fair; looks like you can still come out on top, money-wise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.