Mandrel Exhaust Systems - Page 5 - TCCoA Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
No, I'm not planning on putting it on myself. Yea, the shop I posted about is the same that KevinM had do his exhaust. It's Troy's Muffler & Performance Shop in Anderson, SC that I spoke of previously. It's a pretty good haul from Charlotte to Troy's.

There are some shops near me that I might consider or see if Robert can install it or might recommend someone near him.

I'm still trying to get ahold of Mandrel Exhaust systems to arrange payment for the front half of my order. I placed the orders seperately because I didn't have all the cash on hand for everything at once. I'll put the front half on my CC when I can get through to them; I've left two messages on their answering machine. I paid for the back half with pay-pal.

Oh well, I'm not in that big of a hurry. As long as everything is here by June. I guess they'll call me when they're ready to process my order. I'll let ya know how it goes as information becomes available.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:49 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
I'm still trying to get ahold of Mandrel Exhaust systems to arrange payment for the front half of my order. I placed the orders seperately because I didn't have all the cash on hand for everything at once. I'll put the front half on my CC when I can get through to them; I've left two messages on their answering machine. I paid for the back half with pay-pal.

Oh well, I'm not in that big of a hurry. As long as everything is here by June. I guess they'll call me when they're ready to process my order. I'll let ya know how it goes as information becomes available.
I left several messages on their machines and never got any calls back. They replied to my emails days later, but never any phone replies. So if you really want that by June, you might have to use paypal for the rest of your stuff

Jason Marsh
jasonLmarsh@yahoo.com
(364 rwhp 439 rwtq) on a Mustang Dyno
post #123 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Seasoned Geek

Thank you Ron for the info . I hope I get lucky in my order I paid for it all

post #124 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:19 PM
4th Gear Poster

UPS guy just left 1/2 of my order on the porch. Looks like mine came with a welded on hanger and 4 exhaust clamps.

Jason Marsh
jasonLmarsh@yahoo.com
post #125 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Seasoned Geek

Looks sharp in the pic Jason
post #126 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Which mufflers did you go with Jason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonLmarsh View Post
I left several messages on their machines and never got any calls back. They replied to my emails days later, but never any phone replies. So if you really want that by June, you might have to use paypal for the rest of your stuff
Thanks, Yea, I just Pay-Paled the rest to them. They are impossible to reach by phone.

So, now I'm officially on the waiting list too. Well, it looks like Jason had to wait about a month for half of his order. We'll see how long the other half takes to arrive.

Keep us posted about order and delievery dates guys. So we can have some idea of how long these orders are taking to get out. Thanks.

Here are my dates:

Front and Back sections ordered: 2-20-2009
Payment for back section sent and received: 2-20-2009
Confirmation of receipt of payment for rear section received by email: 2-21-2009
Payment for front section sent 3-2-2009

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 03-02-2009 at 09:06 PM.
post #127 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:35 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Which mufflers did you go with Jason?
Magnaflow XL mufflers.

Jason Marsh
jasonLmarsh@yahoo.com
post #128 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to chris g
those socket conectors are kinda pricey..

COLD AIR INTAKE, MN12 PERFORMANCE FRONT SUSPENSION KIT, SILVER PAINTED AVS WINDOW GUARDS, SILVER PAINTED DASH PANELS, 28% MIRROR TINTED WINDOWS, SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES 2'' DROP, TRUE BENDS CUSTOM 2.5'' TRUE DUAL EXHAUST. 2nd generation SC wheels.
post #129 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris g View Post
those socket conectors are kinda pricey..
just alittle bit but no worries the band clamps work just as good

97 Ford Thunderbird
Check out my Gallery

vist the Man RobertP at www.robstireandauto.com
post #130 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to chris g
i'm gonna run the band clamps instead now jus gotta buy some.

COLD AIR INTAKE, MN12 PERFORMANCE FRONT SUSPENSION KIT, SILVER PAINTED AVS WINDOW GUARDS, SILVER PAINTED DASH PANELS, 28% MIRROR TINTED WINDOWS, SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES 2'' DROP, TRUE BENDS CUSTOM 2.5'' TRUE DUAL EXHAUST. 2nd generation SC wheels.
post #131 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Hey Jason whats the overall length of those magnaflows? do you plan on having the mufflers tucked up and dumped out the corners? or doing something else?

97 Ford Thunderbird
Check out my Gallery

post #132 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:45 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik97bird View Post
Hey Jason whats the overall length of those magnaflows? do you plan on having the mufflers tucked up and dumped out the corners? or doing something else?
The Magnaflow XL's are 14x9x4 Body, with an overall length of 20" including the inlet/outlet. I have SC GFX, everything is hidden anyway, so I went with the fully welded Stainless steel version. I think they have a show polished version too, for those of you who like to show off

Jason Marsh
jasonLmarsh@yahoo.com
post #133 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

cool thanks. your the man, man

97 Ford Thunderbird
Check out my Gallery

post #134 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 05:45 PM
6th Gear Poster

Maybe a repost, the original link is dead. This is the current link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-97...4506.m20.l1116

Shipping out to basic training for the army on april 12th!

Bird is on serious down time
post #135 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 07:37 PM
4th Gear Poster

UPS delivered package #2 I can't wait for Saturday!

Jason Marsh
jasonLmarsh@yahoo.com
post #136 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Seasoned Geek

NICE Cant wait . Already have a app to have mine installed when the time comes
post #137 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Purdy.... one question.

i see flange connections on the X pipe but none on the back half in the other pic? did yours come with the other flange piece?
2nd, does the driver side exhuast flange that bolts up to the manifold, does it have the single bolt that connects it to the manifold?

97 Ford Thunderbird
Check out my Gallery

post #138 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik97bird View Post
Purdy.... one question.

i see flange connections on the X pipe but none on the back half in the other pic? did yours come with the other flange piece?
2nd, does the driver side exhuast flange that bolts up to the manifold, does it have the single bolt that connects it to the manifold?
nope and nope. It's definitely not a "driveway install". The flanges on the back of the X pipe do not have a mate from what I can see in all the stuff. Also the pipe that meets up to the X pipe flanges will have to be flared to meet up with that socket, unless my exhaust guy has a weld in socket. On the driver side collector flange, it's just a normal 2 bolt flange like the other side has.

Jason Marsh
jasonLmarsh@yahoo.com
post #139 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Texas Chapter Director

Send a message via AIM to speed95 Send a message via Yahoo to speed95
Well crap I knew I should of jumped on this sooner. Looks like they got rid of free shipping.
post #140 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Veteran Poster

^ Yup, been kickin myself in the backside for the same reason.

95 Cougar XR-7
Sold it...

96 Thunderbird LX
Sold it...
post #141 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Seasoned Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed95 View Post
Well crap I knew I should of jumped on this sooner. Looks like they got rid of free shipping.
FYI Guys this may help you on the free shipping . Got this email from them

Yes, you can use our website. The shipping discount from ebay is $30.00... You can enter the code "EBAY30SHIP" on our website during the checkout process. This is a promo code for use on our website.
post #142 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 AM
4th Gear Poster

Got this email from them today. I have to say this IS the right way to do business!!!

Quote:
Good Morning,
I’m writing this email concerning your recent order from us for the Thunderbird Exhaust System. It was discovered the day after we shipped your exhaust, that a section of the system might have the wrong style connection used for installation. We processed a 2nd shipment the following day and sent a new part to be used for installation. There is no action needed on your part, you can choose to keep the left over part or recycle if you choose.

We think this occurred because the order was shipped in 2 boxes. None-the-less the 2nd part shipped will solve the installation.

For the record, you should be receiving 3 shipments from us. 1. The catback and mufflers. 2. The x-pipe. 3. The additional/new part used for installation.

Enjoy the new exhaust,

Josh
TruBendz Technology Inc.

Jason Marsh
jasonLmarsh@yahoo.com
post #143 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 11:06 AM
PostSlut

thats good customer service right there!

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #144 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:54 PM
4th Gear Poster

very good customer service.

good to hear

Matt W.

post #145 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:27 PM
smoothed and filled red pearl 94

Send a message via AIM to 94MN1246
thunderchecken or trunkmonkey, can you help out a fellow mid atlantic guy? if i send you some eversized paper would you mind making a tracing of each individual piece? that would really help me out in a couple months. let me know if you can help. thanks.

-John

MAMN-12 Fringe Member
post #146 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 05:54 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
Got my kit today
Darren,

What are doing with the Dynomax set up?

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #147 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Seasoned Geek

Keeping it Joe .I am thinking and hopeing that the catback will hook up to my new tubeing

Just unboxed the monster all parts in one big box And yep my Dynomax muffers will pop right on.
Joe your more than welcome to the pipes from the Cat-Back

Last edited by Boston-Bull; 03-07-2009 at 10:20 AM.
post #148 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to ThunderRoad
Cool hey if joe dosen't want them

I Would Like Them Pipes From Cat Back:d
post #149 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:15 PM
4th Gear Poster

Exhaust INSTALLED! The good, bad, and UGLY

Well guys I got my exhaust installed this morning.
First the good:
The back half was pretty well spot on. Everything lined up right and worked ok. Since I have SC GFX, I can't run the pipes straight out the back so we had to shorten the back part to move the muffler back from the bumper cover a bit so he could do a turn-down.

Now the bad:
The X-pipe lined up ok, but it's pretty much impossible to make it a slip-fit. One really needs ball & Socket clamps. Also on the front part of the X-pipe, its very difficult to get the pipes on. You have to put them on then raise the whole front half up into the car. I had that part welded so it's not coming back apart.

And the UGLY:
The down tube on the passenger side is WRONG! Anyone out there who bought the front half of this system should definitely test fit this piece first and decide whether you want to return it or "make it work". I chose to make it work. The angle of the downtube is off a bit, so the side of the cat is physically touching the starter. In addition to that issue, the O2 bung is pointed straight at the bellhousing where the starter mounts, making it physically impossible to get the O2 in there. I think even if you installed the O2 and raised the downtube, it would still hit. It's definitely not right and not something you can fix in your driveway without a welder. I had my exhaust guy cut the pipe off just after the cat. That allowed us to rotate the cat just enough to allow the O2 to clear and stop the cat from touching the starter. Then he modified that downtube to align with the new location of the cat and re-welded it. While we were looking in the end of the cat, we also found that they pushed the pipe too far into the cat housing, This causes a lip inside the cat all the way around. I'm sure this will catch airflow and cause turbulence inside there. I'm not sure how crucial that is, but there wasn't much we could do about it.

Overall impressions, It's a good system from the X-pipe back, very nice bends and I'm sure it flows well. I do have quite a drone around 1400~1800 rpm that I really dont like. Since I have 373 gears, I'm at 2200rpm @ 70mph so it's not too bad on the highway, but cruising around town I'm in that rpm range a lot. I will probably ditch the X-pipe and go back to a small mid-mount muffler to cure that.

Here's a pic showing where the O2 is pointed right at the bellhousing.

And here's where the cat was touching the starter.

Jason Marsh
jasonLmarsh@yahoo.com
post #150 of 683 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Illinois Chapter Director

Send a message via AIM to TydlwavS
My system was catless so I never saw that issue with the cats when I had my car. Good luck to you guys that make the purchase. That cat is VERY close to the manifold for some reason.

"That is the worst looking car in the whole world. I'd rather look at one of your dingle berries"

Check out what we've been up to....
http://forums.tccoa.com/54-illinois-chapter/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.