Mandrel Exhaust Systems - Page 6 - TCCoA Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:28 PM
4th Gear Poster

yea I think catless would be fine if they rotate the O2 bung a bit. I would have preferred to go catless myself but they denied my request for that. Fortunately there is good news in that. Anyone who wants to go catless, can just cut off the cats and run a straight piece of pipe and will still be able to take advantage of the mandrel bends on both ends. I think they put the cats so close to the manifold to tuck them in nice and high.

Jason Marsh
jasonLmarsh@yahoo.com
(364 rwhp 439 rwtq) on a Mustang Dyno
post #152 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Seasoned Geek

Well all in all worth what we paided for ? In Your option Jason You know the saying

They look nice setting in the basement

2017 Mustang GT Base/ Making my own premium

Last edited by Boston-Bull; 03-07-2009 at 03:21 PM.
post #153 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Jason,

You should email them those pictures and the description of the issues that you ran into and see what they say. It may not help you since you've already worked the problems out but it will help the rest of us who's orders may not have shipped yet. Thanks for the great post. It helps to know what we may be up against.

Darren,

I don't believe the saying "You get what you pay for" applies here at all. We all paid a fair price for a product that should work out of the box without the issues that Jason just described.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #154 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Seasoned Geek

Very true Ron.Going to make mine work regardless My Mufflers at the back should fit nicely. Going to put in new Sensors as well

post #155 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:55 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
I Would Like Them Pipes From Cat Back:d
Actually, it was the mufflers I was interested in. So, I guess you're next in line!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #156 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 08:27 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Cool Gonna pay 'em a visit!

Hey guys,

I just realized, Mandrel Exhaust Systems is in Miami and I'm headed there on Monday.

I'm going to swing by their shop next week and check it out. You know, say hello to the guys and talk to them about these installation issues and see what they say.

I'll take pictures and let you know what I find. Is there anything that anyone wants me to ask or find out? Let me know.

-Ron

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #157 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Seasoned Geek

Talk about cool & good timing

post #158 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 PM
4th Gear Poster

yes....if i do a doch swap will this still bolt up?

maybe even one of you guys here can answer that one....

Matt W.

post #159 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Not the front half, the DOHC has different exhaust manifolds

-Matt
post #160 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 09:18 PM
4th Gear Poster

I did fire off an email to them today. Not to complain, but more to let them know they have issues they should work out asap and they may be having a lot of people complaining.

For $300ish on the front half, I think the fit should have been better. I'm sure it's a small tooling issue on their part and hopefully they will correct it for those who have not had orders ship yet. The back half was most definitely worth the price paid.

Good luck to those of you still waiting for install.

Jason Marsh
jasonLmarsh@yahoo.com
post #161 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 09:21 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Cool. Thanks Jason. I look forward to meeting them in person and seeing the shop.

post #162 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
thanks for the update jason, i think i will wait a while before i purchase the front half and see if they can resolve the issue.

97 Ford Thunderbird
Check out my Gallery

vist the Man RobertP at www.robstireandauto.com
post #163 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

you guys do realize that the ebay ad says the x pipe does not connect

1997 Thunderbird LX, 4.6L, Performance White.
3.27 TL, 300hp J-Mod, Mid-Mount Magnaflow w/2.25" True Duals to 3" Magnaflow 15* Slash Cut Tips, PI Intake,
FR500 Steering Wheel, FRPP Wires, 180* T-Stat, 22C Plugs, Cobra Vert Rears, RSTB, SC "L" Braces. 175k and still flying!
post #164 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Average install time is 1-2 hours. We designed our x-pipes to achieve balanced scavenging for maximum horsepower. The sections at the "X" do connect to each other. Horsepower gains vary depending on the level of modification you already have with your vehicle. Average gains are usually 10-15 HP increase. The sound of our x-pipe is low and deep, without rasp.

||Under a black flag we sail.||
post #165 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to chris g
gonna start on mine this week..

COLD AIR INTAKE, MN12 PERFORMANCE FRONT SUSPENSION KIT, SILVER PAINTED AVS WINDOW GUARDS, SILVER PAINTED DASH PANELS, 28% MIRROR TINTED WINDOWS, SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES 2'' DROP, TRUE BENDS CUSTOM 2.5'' TRUE DUAL EXHAUST. 2nd generation SC wheels.
post #166 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencurse View Post
you guys do realize that the ebay ad says the x pipe does not connect
They DO connect, although I thought the opening between the 2 pipes would be a little larger than it is.

On a side note, I heard back from them today on the problems with my install. They said they havent' heard back from anyone else on any problems. So hopefully it was an isolated incident and you guys wont have the issues I had.

Jason Marsh
jasonLmarsh@yahoo.com
post #167 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to fordsvtbird
Remember, I still have my old setup which is direct bolt on for a DOHC motor.

It has the Borla XR-1 mufflers which are located directly under the driver and passenger seats. It's loud.. and very unique. I'm located in MD though..
post #168 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:22 PM
4th Gear Poster

how in the world did you keep from dragging those mufflers on the ground?

Jason Marsh
jasonLmarsh@yahoo.com
post #169 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonLmarsh View Post
how in the world did you keep from dragging those mufflers on the ground?
mine sit/dump right under the front seats....clears tons of things...and I run edelbrock mufflers.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #170 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 05:40 AM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to fordsvtbird
It's definitely possible.. just need to be tucked up properly. I only bumped my cats once for the entire time they were on the car.
post #171 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 01:27 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Update

After having sent an email to Mandrel Exhaust Systems regarding Jason's clearance issues and requesting that my system be corrected if it hadn't shipped yet I received the following reply today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrel Exhaust Systems

Ron,

Your order has shipped. There were actually many orders that shipped in the
month of February and so far the person that had these problems was the only
comment we had heard of.

I understand your position and concern. Unfortunately this seems like an
isolated case, but there are still several systems in transit such as yours
so we are unable to make certain a similar case will not happen.

Please understand we do stand behind our products and are willing to
exchange any parts needed that may not fit properly during installation. The
person listed below did have access to a saw and welder, which solved the
problem... but I understand not all our customers will have this option.

Please keep us updated.

Josh
I have some free time this afternoon and will try to get by their shop before 5 to meet them.

post #172 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Seasoned Geek

This has my curiosity up Here is my mine laying about the same as Jason's looks like the O2 Holes are in toward the inside. But for me not mounted up to the exhaust it is hard to tell

post #173 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 03:04 PM
4th Gear Poster

Darren, yours are laying on the wrong sides (in relation to how they would be in the car). In your Bottom picture, the one on the LEFT that you have written the letter "B" on is the passenger side. It definitely looks like that O2 bung is in the same place it was on mine.

Jason Marsh
jasonLmarsh@yahoo.com
post #174 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Seasoned Geek

yep thanks Jason That is what I was thinking that I will have the same issues as you. But it will be better with true duels on it and will make my SuperTurbo ( A bit quiet ) sound better also installing my ported manifolds as well

Last edited by Boston-Bull; 03-10-2009 at 06:47 PM.
post #175 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
smoothed and filled red pearl 94

Send a message via AIM to 94MN1246
Darren and Ron- thank you for having the decency to respond to my requests, it is appreciated and will not go forgotten. i know it was asking a lot for you to take 5 minutes to trace something. i hope your installs go as smoothly as jasonLmarsh's did. haha. i always enjoyed a challenge anyway. thanks guys.

-John

MAMN-12 Fringe Member
post #176 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94MN1246 View Post
thunderchecken or trunkmonkey, can you help out a fellow mid Atlantic guy? if i send you some eversized paper would you mind making a tracing of each individual piece? that would really help me out in a couple months. let me know if you can help. thanks.

-John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94MN1246 View Post
Darren and Ron- thank you for having the decency to respond to my requests, it is appreciated and will not go forgotten. i know it was asking a lot for you to take 5 minutes to trace something. i hope your installs go as smoothly as jasonLmarsh's did. haha. i always enjoyed a challenge anyway. thanks guys.

-John
Oh, I plan on having to make the same fixes that Jason did. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner than 6 days (A relativeley short period of time IMO). You did say you didn't need the sketch/trace for a few months.

My system didn't even arrive at the house in Charlotte until just yesterday and I'll be in Miami until at least the 20th; so you'll have to excuse me if I don't get right on this for you.

I would be happy to trace my pipes for you but I won't be free to do it until probably some time in late May; may be sooner but my work schedule is pretty hectic until then.

I was also curious why you can't afford to at least cough up the $120 for the back half? Let me guess. You're going to build it yourself for $10 or less.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 03-12-2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Spell check
post #177 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Seasoned Geek

First of all, I don’t appreciate your snide, sarcastic tone when you are asking a favor of me. As you really don’t know me, you do not know my schedule. As much as I enjoy tinkering on my thunderbird, it does not occupy all my time. I have other obligations, both personal and professional.

post #178 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:36 PM
̇

Garage
dayuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
First of all, I don’t appreciate your snide, sarcastic tone when you are asking a favor of me. As you really don’t know me, you do not know my schedule. As much as I enjoy tinkering on my thunderbird, it does not occupy all my time. I have other obligations, both personal and professional.
dayuum

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #179 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:52 PM
PostSlut

hehe

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #180 of 697 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
I hope you guys have better luck durring the install than Jason did, for the price I would expect those issues to be corrected.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.