LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 11:09 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
I'm waiting for the 2v flavor, personally.
I'm waiting for the C head flavor personally

-Matt
post #62 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 11:25 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
I'm waiting for the C head flavor personally
Oh, look we have wealth gracing us with their presence! Permit us to roll out the red carpet for you, sire! Step right this way into my office, your throne of future destitute awaits you.
post #63 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 01:17 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
Ha! If I could afford a cnc bender, I'd already have one lol. now you're dreaming. Lets all be happy I'm even doing this There's other ways to achieve consistency. Remember, I am not an exhaust shop. Just a one-man army going against the grain armed with just a couple nifty tools, and a nice collection of jumbo-sized neurons.

I have my eye on a small 16 ton manual tube bender to experiment making my own dual exhaust configurations. Mostly how, and where the tips would exit. They're less than 200 bucks. Anyway, thought some flexible tubing that can be manipulated by hand, yet stay in place, and used as a template, might help avoid error waste. I doubt know. Something like air duct tubing, or something...

Thinking the same technique might be applied to a "quick change" dummy set of headers.

I have no doubt you've already thought of this. Just writing out loud for the greater good of all readers, lol. Mind you, I have no aspirations of building my own headers. My welds usually come out looking like bird poop. Let alone ss tigging under the inerts.

And please forgive my presumptuous ponder, your excellency.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l 97 Headlamps/Hood All Red Tails Muffler/Resonator Delete
2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
2008 Acadia Limited AWD

...still looking for a clean, low mileage, rust free 96/97 Thunderbird 4.6
post #64 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 02:06 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushtonracing View Post
I have my eye on a small 16 ton manual tube bender to experiment making my own dual exhaust configurations. Mostly how, and where the tips would exit. They're less than 200 bucks. Anyway, thought some flexible tubing that can be manipulated by hand, yet stay in place, and used as a template, might help avoid error waste. I doubt know. Something like air duct tubing, or something...

Thinking the same technique might be applied to a "quick change" dummy set of headers.

I have no doubt you've already thought of this. Just writing out loud for the greater good of all readers, lol. Mind you, I have no aspirations of building my own headers. My welds usually come out looking like bird poop. Let alone ss tigging under the inerts.

And please forgive my presumptuous ponder, your excellency.
I have a tubing bender and some dies, but I had decided long ago that the centerline radius of the bends simply would not be suitable for this kind of project. The J-bends I had previously used for my set and the other set I auctioned were of a much tighter bend radius, that you can pretty much only get with a mandrel-based bender, cnc not withstanding. But then the cost of the number of J-bends I would need would quickly escalate both my cost and the "consumer" pricing.

Lobster for dinner anyone?

Not my pic, but that's pretty much what I'll be working with. Three segments-per-45° bend on a 1.5" centerline-radius gives decent results in terms of approximating a mandrel bend, and leaves just enough material to weld them together. I might even sneak a 4th segment-per-45°-bend to get it just a smidge smoother (working on that ATM). While the smoothness of tight bends is limited to the segments because they have to be welded together, larger radius bends allow more flexibility, and all bends have an infinite adjust-ability for centerline-radius.

If you take a ruler to that picture on your monitor, the tubing at the ends should be 1-5/8", so it's not too bad IMO. The yellow arc is true circular. Those small bend-approximations shouldn't be too bad especially considering that the tubing will not be reduced to a compression-style bend that compromises the cross-sectional area from being constant/circular.

Last edited by guitar maestro; 05-31-2015 at 02:22 PM.
post #65 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 03:00 PM
PostWhore

As usual General Zod you're light yrs. a head of me. I mean you've got to give credit where credit is due. That lobster tail looks beautiful. And I'm sure your work will be no exception.

CAD design, infinite adjust-ability, reduced compression compromise for consistent concentricity. AND... at lower cost. Ah, the elegance of science.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l 97 Headlamps/Hood All Red Tails Muffler/Resonator Delete
2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
2008 Acadia Limited AWD

...still looking for a clean, low mileage, rust free 96/97 Thunderbird 4.6
post #66 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 07:48 PM

Uhm.........

What's wrong with the KOOKS again ?
post #67 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skule View Post
They killed my father once.

So yeah, I bought two Lincolns in a week.

My LarryLand Automotive Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...61642343862942

My Scribd.com garbage: http://www.scribd.com/larry_vanzandt
post #68 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 08:16 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nothing.
post #69 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 11:33 PM

I like the Kooks...........They seem to be very well made.(strong big gauge thickness where they bolt on block) Excellent engineered design.(tuned sound doesn't come from crappy unequal lengthened pipes) no problems with them
post #70 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 06:29 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Quote:
They aren't long-tubes, they are mid-length headers, which will not give you the full performance benefit of long-tube headers.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #71 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 06:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Which is exactly why I've been waiting rather (im)patiently for MN12 longtubes to go into production again.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 233k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #72 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 12:31 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Which is exactly why I've been waiting rather (im)patiently for MN12 longtubes to go into production again.
It's only been two years since you missed the auction. And to think, those probably still aren't being used, lol. You could have been sporting them right now
post #73 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Poster

Hello,I would like to contact the cableguy about modifing a long tube header for 4.6 tbird?
I have a set and can ship it to you for modifications. I can pay
Thanks
post #74 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 07:27 PM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

I have long tubes on my 4.6 cougar.

Made by Sean Hyland motorsports.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
11.97@ 109.35
3880 lbs. w/driver.

Bradenton Spring Brake Shootout 03/04/2017.
post #75 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

this thread makes me wonder what happened to the set I auction off, lol.
post #76 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:40 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
this thread makes me wonder what happened to the set I auction off, lol.
I've been looking on Craigslist for them for years to no avail

-Matt
post #77 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I'm still waiting for a killer set of Texas sized pipes.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 233k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #78 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:54 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Anybody make long tube headers for a 95 bird?
post #79 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to CableguyJJS3 Send a message via Yahoo to CableguyJJS3
I'll put this here to answer the multiple PM's I got about headers. Sorry fellas I am no longer in the modifying headers game, way to many other projects on my plate so I apologize. But looks like GM has something cooking....
Thunderstruck95 likes this.

Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

"Any idiot can make a Mustang fast, but it takes a special kind of idiot to make a Thunderbird fast."
post #80 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
It's only been two years since you missed the auction. And to think, those probably still aren't being used, lol. You could have been sporting them right now

GM:
All of this holiday idle time has got me to thinking - how exactly did you mock up your headers for test fitment?
Did you start with an engine model in the header SW or does the header SW just pot angles for you? How did you determine if this would/would NOT interfere with the steering shaft?

Did you do any mock up? I saw some companies offer PVC-pipe based mockup systems which I'm sure can be copied or found elsewhere.
Example:
Custom Headers Built To Your Specifications

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #81 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Another basic question: for a diy setup, how would you go from a rectangular port on the header flange to a round exhaust tube?

While starting from a stock used set of mustang long tubes and clearencing them as needed would be the most cost effective option for me, the ROI isnt there over my stock setup for my application. If i was to go down the diy header front, it would be to enable something truly stupid like 180 degree headers (which make no sense on my engine build except for the glorious sound since i dont rev beyond 5000-5500 rpm anyway). Also, because ive run out of projects for my tbird and i have no room for a second car build (something CA street legal).
-g
post #82 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 11:38 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
GM:
All of this holiday idle time has got me to thinking - how exactly did you mock up your headers for test fitment?
Did you start with an engine model in the header SW or does the header SW just pot angles for you? How did you determine if this would/would NOT interfere with the steering shaft?

Did you do any mock up? I saw some companies offer PVC-pipe based mockup systems which I'm sure can be copied or found elsewhere.
Example:
Custom Headers Built To Your Specifications
The first time around, on my set, I pain-stakingly removed-and-reinstalled both the cylinder head and the steering column in and out of the car an obscene amount of times to get it right.

The second time around on the set that I auctioned off, I mocked the location of the steering column with a piece of tubing that was pretty much identical to the size of the steering column. That way, I could do everything outside of the car.

The header software I purchased later and used to setup some models for the 4V headers I've been wanting to work on for some people. Sadly, my work has consumed so much of my time to make much progress on that. When I had the 4V header flanges laser cut, I told the vendor to save the oval slugs. I had planned to drill the slugs, about 4 of them, bolt them together, then grind the outside to a roundish profile to use as a punch on the hydraulic press, in order to oval out the round tubing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.