TCCoA Forums banner

Slimming your car down

59K views 145 replies 47 participants last post by  XR7-4.6 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been reading several different websites and compiling information that was consistantly reported. If I was leary about the information I didn't use it. I originally was searching for my own purposes and realized there wasn't really a one stop place for all this information, so I decided to do something for my community. If there is any major discrepencies please let me know and I will adjust. Also I am sure there is some things I have missed or couldn't find, so I would appreciate that information as well.

Spare Tires
-Stock steel T-Bird doughnut 27lbs
-Mark 8 alluminum spare 18lbs
-Mark 8 alluminum spare WITHOUT Tyre 10lbs

Drive Shaft
-Stock T-bird/Cougar driveshaft 21.5lbs
-Mark 8 Driveshaft 14lbs

Differential
-Stock Iron T-bird/Cougar 3.27 trac lock pumpkin 80lbs
-FRPP 3.73 trac lock pumpkin 62lbs

Engines
-Explorer/Mountaineer complete aluminum 4.6 100lbs lighter
-96+ Romeo iron blocks: 154lbs, fully assembled 500lbs
-96-99 cobra / 93-98 mark 8 Teksid block: 85.40lbs, fully assembled 425lbs
-2001+ WAP block (NA Cobra) 80.40lbs

-Early cast crank = 46lbs (93 and 97 tested)
-Late cast crank = 44lbs (2002 tested)

-2V heads = 46lbs each
-4V B Heads = 60lbs each

-2V Plastic PI Intake = 12lbs
-2V Bullitt Intake = 37lbs

-Cast iron flywheel = 21lbs
-Spec Aluminum dual pattern flywheel = 12lbs

Doors
-Stock T-bird door 70lbs
-Fiberglass T-bird door 17lbs

Battery
-Stock T-Bird/Cougar 48lbs
-Optima Red Top 33lbs
-Odessey battery 12lbs

Hood
-Stock Hood 58lbs
-Fiberglass Hairyglass hood 18lbs

Trunk lid
-Stock T-bird deck lid 37lbs
-Fiberglass Hairyglass deck lid 9lbs

Lower Rear Control A-arms
-Stock A arms 27lbs (each side)
-Aluminum A arms 14lbs (each side)

Seats
-Electric Seats w/leather 56lbs
-Manual Cloth 30lbs

Engine Cradle
-Stock MN12 cradle ***lbs
-Tubular cradle ***lbs

Brake Calipers (unloaded)
-Stock Front non-sport 8.75 lbs (each side)
-Stcok Front Sport 8.3 lbs (each side)
-Stock Rear Sport and non-sport 9.2 lbs (each side)
-PBR GT Front 10.4 lbs (each side)
-Brembo Cobra R Front 8.4 lbs (each side)

Brake Rotors
-Stock Front non-sport 15.7 lbs (each side)
-Stock Front Sport 17.5 lbs (each side)
-Stock Rear Sport and non-sport 9.6 lbs (each side)
-Brembo GT Front Slotted/Vented 15 lbs (each side)
-Brembo 13” Front Slotted/Vented 18.6 lbs (each side)

C.Hill

See less See more
#3 ·
Untill verified, I will take it out. Thanks.

C.Hill

#4 ·
i believe stock mn12 angine cradle without suspension just bare cradle is about 50-60 lbs.

#5 ·
The stock front K-member, with the LCA's and strut rods still attached weighs 82 lbs.

-Rod

#6 ·
Are those arms an economical weight loss with the cost of those spring perches that are custom parts? I have thought about buying them though, but the cost of the spring perches seems prohibitive.

#7 ·
A stock ''94-'95 model hood is 74 lbs,and the '96-'97 is 75lbs. Both measured without the hood liner.
JL

#48 ·
the stock 96 hood was 60 pounds and my cobra r hood was 30

Once again I have conflicting weights. Anyone else? I would like to fix it if I can get a concencous. Thanks again.

C.Hill

#12 ·
I didn't realize someone was making fiberglass doors and trunk lids.

Joe

#15 ·
rear lower control arms, stock and mark 8?
two piece rotors (aluminum hat)?
forged aluminum wheels?
manual steering rack (no more pump)?
removing front and rear bumpers (metal)?

#18 ·
Anyone want to venture a guess at what the whole of the dash assembly weighs? Unfortunately, I took mine out in peices with cutting tools. I should have wighed it. I would guess that it's a 100lb unit.
Also intesting to see would be fold-down vs regualr rear seats, exhaust systems, sound systems, carpets and plastic, etc.
I dont suppose anyone was diligent enough to collect all of the sound deadener and weigh it? Mine was mostly turned to dust. :(

#20 ·
I'm in the process of taking out all the sound deadener, by heating it up and scraping it out....I'm throwing it all into a box, and will weigh it when done.

Also, the dash is not a 100 lbs....I my self can take the dash in and out of the car myself, if it was a 100lbs, I don't think I could.

#25 ·
I've done all of that. :) I searched back and read some of your stuff, and I'm thinking I've removed more at this point than you have. You've gotten me very optimistic about my weight. :D You've removed some suspension stuff that I still need, though.

I wasn't careful with my wires....as a result I not only took out 15lb of wire, but also my 50lb TEVES braking system. I ate the harness and fudged the system. Rather than try to rewire, I just went with a booster and master cylinder. The TEVES ABS unit is a PIG!

#105 ·
that sounds about right. my scp cobra r ram air hood doesnt feel as light as it should when im holding it up. honestly it didnt feel much lighter than my stock one. but thats just me. idk. im sure its somewhere around that 30. i thought it felt a little heavier. my guess would be about 40lbs.---i should take it off. set it on a stool thats already on the scale. and subtract the stools weight fromt that...just for you guys haha.

#31 ·
hairyglass.com

Reactions: burkowski82114
#34 ·
the way it looks those front ends and rear ends are for tube chassis back halfing and front halfing. i.e. hardcore drag racing. and the thought of fiberglass being between me and the countless idiots trying to t-bone me would be kinda unnerving. i like steel cars.

#47 ·
cool....Also, where the door lock comes through, I'm going to shorten it down, put some kind of rubber bushing where it protrudes out of the door, and put something on the end of it....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.