TCCoA Forums banner

air silencer..

10K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  GRNDPNDR 
#1 ·
Would removing the air silencer increase my gas mileage?

#3 ·
It will help but not enough that you will be able to tell.
With gas mileage it's a lot of little things you do that will all add up.

Proper tune, K&N filter, lightening the car and Synthetic oil will help.
Sythentic oil is probably the only thing that will make a noticeable difference on it's own unless it's poorly tuned.

The best thing you can do to improve mileage is to tape an egg to your brake and gas pedals. Seriously, the way you accelerate and decelerate will make more difference than anything else you do.

#10 ·
Here is mine check out the MPG trend. But 28 mpg in the city is a bit high, Have not checked mine in the city but i can tell by the fuel gauge its not that high

Just got back with the bird on a road trip. Checked mileage 153 miles on 5 gallons = 30.6 !! This was flat ground cruise . 273 miles on 10 gallons =27.3 this was hills coming up I-81 in VA. How in the world ??? I still cant belive that. It was a steady cruise trip 75 MPH 2300 or so RPMs

#11 ·
I get a combined of about 28. I drive a 90 mile commute round trip every day. I get a full week (5 round trips) before needing to fill up. I put roughly 16 Gallons in every fill-up.

90x5 = 450 miles
450miles/16gal = 28.12 MPG

Currently I have a stock tune (set up for the 3.27's). I'm going to get a tune on the car to REALLY make use of the 2.73's that are in the rear dif, and then see if I can get into the 30's.

#13 ·
I'm hoping for better with a more conservative tune if possible. I'm hoping to get into the 30's. I've already backed off my acceleration curve. I accelerate about as slowly as a delivery truck on my daily commute, and use cruise to keep me at about 60 MPH where I can use it.

#15 ·
Removing the air silencer will:

• Increase your mileage
  • Increase your horsepower
  • Dramatically improve your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times
  • Increase your top end by at least 100 MPH
  • Improve handling
  • Increase airflow and give you that amazing exhaust sound you've always wanted
  • Make you more appealing to the opposite sex
  • Increase the size of your manhood
  • Cause you to win the lottery
  • Cause world peace
  • Save the whales
  • Reverse global warming
  • Free Tibet

#17 ·
I never said 28 mpg city. I wish. I drive a total of 90 miles round trip to school and mostly drive freeway but hit traffic going to school and coming home. I got an average of 28 mpg and got a little over 350 miles with a quarter tank left. I probably could of got 30 mpg driving 65 the whole way with no traffic.

#21 ·
it's an 18 Gal tank, but about 16 Gal useable

#24 ·
I agree, I noticed no difference when I took mine out. I used to get avg of about 28 mpg mixed driving( NYC) but I went to change the plugs and I put in bosch plats 2s or what ever they are called and im down A LOT. so im thinking of going back to coppers but I wonder if anything else has caused this drop. and yes I am light on the pedal, dont go above 2k on acceleration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.