New wheel/tire size picked. Need opinions or help - TCCoA Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
New wheel/tire size picked. Need opinions or help

Years ago I put the wrong wheels on my 94 V8. I put 255/40/17's on a 17x7.5" wheel with +51 offset. For years I've loved the tire size but hated how far into the car the wheels sank due to the offset. It's time to fix it.

I've picked VCT Bossini 18x8" wheels with +40 offset, matched with 255/35/18" tires. I like the overall width and height of the tire and am most concerned about the stance of the car and wheel with the new offset. If I did the calculations correct on willtheyfit.com, the 18x8.5" wheel will poke out .5" (11.7mm) more than stock. The new wheel/tire combo will poke out .64" (16.4mm) than my current incorrect 17's. I explored the site a bit and like the pictures of the cars with 18x8" wheels with +35.

Three questions:
1) Will an offset of +35 provide a better overall look and stance? We're talking a very small difference (1/4" or so) but I want to get it right. Bossinis aren't made with 5x108 +35 so I'd look for a different wheel.
2) I like the look of the lip of the Bossini and the offset is calculated based on the centerline of the wheel. The lip won't affect the mounting depth, correct?
3) Your overall opinion or thoughts?
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Any help?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 09:55 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
I have a thread that might help.

93 cobra wheel offset

Those wheels are hideous IMHO.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 10:15 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhughes909 View Post
Years ago I put the wrong wheels on my 94 V8. I put 255/40/17's on a 17x7.5" wheel with +51 offset. For years I've loved the tire size but hated how far into the car the wheels sank due to the offset. It's time to fix it.

I've picked VCT Bossini 18x8" wheels with +40 offset, matched with 255/35/18" tires. I like the overall width and height of the tire and am most concerned about the stance of the car and wheel with the new offset. If I did the calculations correct on willtheyfit.com, the 18x8.5" wheel will poke out .5" (11.7mm) more than stock. The new wheel/tire combo will poke out .64" (16.4mm) than my current incorrect 17's. I explored the site a bit and like the pictures of the cars with 18x8" wheels with +35.

Three questions:
1) Will an offset of +35 provide a better overall look and stance? We're talking a very small difference (1/4" or so) but I want to get it right. Bossinis aren't made with 5x108 +35 so I'd look for a different wheel.
2) I like the look of the lip of the Bossini and the offset is calculated based on the centerline of the wheel. The lip won't affect the mounting depth, correct?
3) Your overall opinion or thoughts?
+35 offset on an 18x8 will be fine, I am not running 18x8 but I am running 18x9" wheels with a 5x108 bolt pattern and they do have a +35 offset. They fit perfectly. No rubbing, no problems. Didn't have to roll the fenders or anything. According to this calc, they will have the same overall fit, just 1" less width. Personally I don't know if I would trust a +40 offset on the 18x8, just because you're getting VERY close to the wheel well. Normal driving would be fine, especially at stock ride height, but if lowered, you might need to roll the fender lips to prevent rubbing on bumps.

I am running 255/40/18 tires, and LOVE them. Little shorter than stock, 26" OD vs 26.6, but if you were to run a 245/45/18 they would be the same OD as a stock 225/60/16 and give you an accurate speedo without having to change gears or use a speedcal. The 255/35 you are looking at are a 25" tall tire, it will be VERY short and dramatically affect your speedo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Favorite pic of GTBird small.jpg (1.31 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg New Shoes 1.jpg (2.23 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg New Shoes 2.jpg (2.49 MB, 3 views)

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.

Last edited by Woodman; 10-30-2016 at 10:24 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 10:18 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbird95 View Post
I have a thread that might help.

93 cobra wheel offset

Those wheels are hideous IMHO.
I like the fanblade 17's. Look like the 15" fanblades which other than the SC/Sport wheels were my favorite "stock" wheels.
ogbird95 likes this.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.