Black on Black & Stroked 'n' Polked!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Johnny Bling Bling

Send a message via AIM to 93 lx
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast4u
These cars have the same bolt pattern as the mn12.
BOLT PATTERN 5X4.25 OR (5X108)

FITMENTS

LINCOLN LS 00-04
just bought a 2000 ls sport with the 17" wheels. will my stock fanblades fit easily, or need adapters? they will be for winter use only. thanks.

2003 Ford Expedition: 5.4L, harley supercharger, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, jlp cai, LFP SBTB, FTSP, Magnaflow 3" catback, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, ddm hid's, 379 rwhp, 465 rwtq sold 11/3/12

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Johnny Bling Bling

Send a message via AIM to 93 lx
bump, anyone?

2003 Ford Expedition: 5.4L, harley supercharger, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, jlp cai, LFP SBTB, FTSP, Magnaflow 3" catback, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, ddm hid's, 379 rwhp, 465 rwtq sold 11/3/12

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD

post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 11:58 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1138
For instance, a 17x8" wheel with a backspace of 4" will have an offset of 0, since the mounting surface is right on the centerline.
This is not exactly true since the 8" width does not account for the wheel lip. You need to factor in that wheel lip (usually around 1") when determining backspacing from offset. So if that 17" x 8" wheel had a 0 offset, the backspacing would actually be somewhere around 4.5".

This is why you need to know both the offset and backspacing.

Chris
1998 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC
1996 Thunderbird LX
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 02:51 AM

16" 7-spoke cast aluminum wheels with P225/60R16 Goodyear Eagle GT+4 touring tires (included only with Sport Edition)

Is this OE wheel hard to come by or expensive?

I tend to like the OE style wheels are there any OE 17" wheels from say a Mark VIII that would bolt right on to my '95 XR-7?
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 04:21 AM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to cudaz101
Not sure if this belongs in this thread...

Anyways the Cat wheels are in the for sale section at times...Rare??? I dunno...Spendy??? If you buy from the dealership YES, if you buy in the for sale forum here No...

Yes the MarkVIII wheels will bolt on to your 95 XR7. Same bolt pattern with a lil higher offset. Should be plenty of room.

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 11:52 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
does anybody know the backspacing on the stock 1994 15x6.5 tbird rims? i know how to measure it i'm just feeling to lazy to pull a wheel off to check
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 12:56 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
i'm just looking to put a pair of 15x7 weld pro stars on the front of this thing so i was just curious as to what backspacing would be appropriate to keep me from rubbing. thanks
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 04:27 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to Lithsanatrex
i think that if you read it would tell you "36~42mm" should work, look for wheels for a FWD car.
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 05:41 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008DodgeChallenger
I tend to like the OE style wheels are there any OE 17" wheels from say a Mark VIII that would bolt right on to my '95 XR-7?
Mark VIII wheels are 16"

~Brian~

*1990 Mustang Coupe, 5.4L*
post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 06:03 PM
PostWhore

i'm goin' with a weld, i've already got the rears and personally i think too many of the options for our stock bolt pattern are gaudy or to ricerlike. so pretty much i just need the stock bs in inches so i can order the fronts.
post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Who is John Galt?

Just go and measure them:
Wheels 101??

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Poster

whats the offset for 97 lx thunderbird stock rims?
post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 10:07 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coggonobrien
i'm goin' with a weld, i've already got the rears and personally i think too many of the options for our stock bolt pattern are gaudy or to ricerlike. so pretty much i just need the stock bs in inches so i can order the fronts.
I hope you bought your Weld's after this post, or at least got a line on some used ones. Weld Wheels filed for bankrupcy this past August. I think "American Racing" might have bought them out since, but I'm not 100%.

~Brian~

*1990 Mustang Coupe, 5.4L*
post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 10:28 PM
2nd Gear Poster

How does the Lincoln LS wheels work on an MN-12?

2004 Cosmo GTO 6spd (Only 377 made)
1993 White Thunderbird LX 302 16.0 @ 92mph 1/4 mi
Underdrive pullies, Aluminum driveshaft, K/N airfilter, 16" wheels, Factory built 65mm SVO tb, 21lb injectors, 4.6L MAF, Eichbach springs, Tokico Blues.
1999 Gray Suburban (Grocery getter)
post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 06:42 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod Motor Cat View Post
I hope you bought your Weld's after this post, or at least got a line on some used ones. Weld Wheels filed for bankrupcy this past August. I think "American Racing" might have bought them out since, but I'm not 100%.
Thats correct. ARE bought out their inventory and some molds.
post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:19 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird View Post
Chrome is a plating. The wheels are still the same. Yes they do cost more, but if they were pure chrome they'd cost millions each.

You have to go to a shop to get tires mounted anyway. nothing special about chrome wheels. Most shops charge more to mount tires on chrome wheels because if they mess up, it costs them alot more than if it was a painted wheel.

How tire sizes work:

stock: 215/70-15

215: section width; how wide the tire is at it's widest point. Tread width can vary by model.

70: a percentage based on the section width. 70 would be 70%, and the sidewall would be 70% as tall as the tire is wide.

15: this is the wheel size in diameter.

You can change the section width and percentage to get better performance in different conditions, but the wheel diameter MUST match.

So for summer, you could run a 245/60-15 on the stock wheels, and you'd have more traction. In winter (if in snow region), you could use a 205/75-15 for better traction.
I have a set of 205/75/15 on my stock fanblades, I was thinking of getting some 235/60/15 on them this winter. From what you said here it seems I'd be better off with the 205s this winter? Or would the 235s be better?
post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:40 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thinner is better for winter. Thinner tires will have an easier time cutting through the snow and maintaining contact with the road. While wider tires will tend to go over it, riding on the snow, rather than through it.

A dedicated winter tire will be worth its weight in gold.
post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 06:12 PM
PostWhore

Wow, I never thought of it that way. Thanks for the tip, I suppose I won't be buying new tires quite yet then, since these will do perfectly.
post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Veteran Poster

cobra rims

just got a set of chrome cobras, now time for the brake upgrade and hub swap, need to know if that guy is still making those brakets for rear calipers
post #51 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 07:47 PM
JPT
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1138 View Post
Actually, backspace and offset are different ways to measure pretty much the same thing. Backspace is the distance from the inside of the mounting hub to the inside of the wheel. Essentially, it's the space that hangs back into the wheel well. Offset is the distance that the mounting surface is offset from the centerline of the width of the wheel.

For instance, a 17x8" wheel with a backspace of 4" will have an offset of 0, since the mounting surface is right on the centerline. If it has a backspace of 5" it will have an offset of 1". If it has a backspace of 3", it will have an offset of -1" (negative offset wheel). As you can see, offset is a useless measurement without knowing the width of the wheel. Backspacing can tell you at least how much the wheel will protrude into the wheel well.

Here's a picture that explains it better.

I am abit confused here. this says to measure with a straight edge from the OUTSIDE lip of the rim, is it not from the INSIDe of the lip of the rim? I am test fitting a set of 20x8.5 Foose wheels and need to be precise on the backspacing & offset. Thanks in advance, JPT.
[IMG][img=http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5337/apr1200021bq2.th.jpg][/IMG]
post #52 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:04 AM
PostWhore

And a word about Aluminum, or Polished Aluminum .... I live in Va. We have rain, snow, salty roads, sun, etc .... I currently have polished aluminum wheels on both my '85 and my '92 Thunderbirds, I've had polished aluminum on other vehicles. I also have had a Norton and two Triumphs with great deals of polished aluminum exposed.

I prefer polished aluminum with NO clear coatings. I can simply touch up a polish with Hipatchie SemiChrome once every year and simply wash the wheel with mild soapy water as I wash the car between and they look great. I never use a wheel cleaner on polished aluminum, I've never found one that doesn't spot unless used exactly "just so so" (and even then it's a crap shoot) .... and it's easier to just use soap. I apply protective coatings of SemiChrome or other good grade car wax in between.

Some clear coats can peal, get chips ... and then you have some surface uncoated, some coated, and the two never look the same, it looks like crap. A good factory applied clear coating will last for years (I have two Honda GoldWings, they both have some polished aluminum that's protected by a factory coating on the motors, it's good. I also have some uncoated polished aluminum parts on them, it's not hard to repolish once in a year or two), but when it starts chipping or pealing .... it's time to clean it all off and either recoat, or polish.

Anodized aluminum is a different deal.

(ps .... Mother's Aluminum Polish is great too!)

I polished these 10 spokes in 1997, I've maybe touched them uo once a year at most, took 20 minutes total to polish touch up with a smidgen of Mother's and a wrag the other day.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!

Last edited by CrystalPistol; 08-07-2008 at 04:36 PM.
post #53 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Poster

So are all T Bird wheels interchangeable between 89- 97?
Is there anything to watch out for?

My situation is this; I have a newly acquired 96 LX Bird, the tires on it are worthless. Most likely will be buying some dedicated winter tires for them.
Will a set of 16" rims from a 97 bolt right up to my 96. What about a set of 15" alloy wheels from my 92 Bird? What about my stock steel rims from my 89 Bird?
I guess what I'm asking is will any stock T Bird wheel bolt up to any T Bird? Or did they change backspace and offset over the years where it would make certain years not bolt up.
In the end I want a set of winter wheels weather they be on my old steel wheels or my 92 alloys .
I can then use my 96 alloys for summer tires.
Or if the deal is sweet enough I will be buying a set of 97 16" rims for summer use and I'll use my 96 alloys for winter.
Soon my 89 and 92 will be going away and I need to know what to save back if any.
Confused yet? sorry so am I.
I'm interested in trading for the tires needed winter or all season, but only if they are Blizzaks or firehawks. Sorry for being picky but those are the 2 best tires I have run over the last 9 years of owning a Bird for this area.
If anyone local wants to buy up a couple of cars cheap then come see me. The 89 (3.8)is, or was a daily driver until last month when I got the 96. The 92 has a blown 3.8 motor and tranny, bought that way and never touchd it except removing the alloys for my 89, but is still titled. I would consider both parts cars with good titles but both can be put back on the road with a little work. Both are in Northern KY area, spare hood $600 for all . email is Riverratfromky@aol(dot)com. I also have some new parts for rear brakes on the 89.
I need tires very soon and need the cash for them.

Tom Gibson

1996 T Bird Pacific Green Metallic, gray cloth interior,3.8 motor.
I hate deer need parts..
My Jeeps are my hobbies; 77 Honcho,81 J20
post #54 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 12:38 PM
PostWhore

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPT View Post
I am abit confused here. this says to measure with a straight edge from the OUTSIDE lip of the rim, is it not from the INSIDe of the lip of the rim? I am test fitting a set of 20x8.5 Foose wheels and need to be precise on the backspacing & offset. Thanks in advance, JPT.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5...0021bq2.th.jpg
In the example cited in the diagram, say it's a 7" wide wheel, say out side to outside measurement is 8 inches, center will always be center. It's halfway between the edges. Offset is a measurement expressed in mm (metric) and reflects the difference between this imaginary center line, and the mounting face of the wheel that sets against the brake rotor or drum.

Zero offset means they are the same.

Positive offset means the center of the rim is offset in-ward from the mounting surface, or that the mounting surface is towards the outside of the wheel. Like a front wheel drive car.

Negative offset means the center of the rim is offset out-ward from the mounting surface, or that the mounting surface is towards the inside of the wheel. Like the deep dish Cragars I had on my '65 GTO back in the day.

If you know the offset, and whether it's negative or positive, you can measure in / out from the mounting surface of your brake drum / rotor where the wheel sets and that is where the center of the wheel will be. If it's a 15 X 7 or a 16 X 8 wheel, the center will be .... the center of that rim width measurement.

The reason they used the out side to outside lip method is simple, it's easier placing a ruler / straightedge across a wheel's outer lip when it's setting on a flat surface, measure down to the flat surface and splitting that figure (say it's 8 inches, half is 4", thus 4" from the flat surface is the center whether measuring out to out or in to in). Then while the wheel is still lying on that flat surface, or by flipping it over and using a straight edge, measure from mounting surface to one of the same lips (say it's 3" from mounting surface to inside lip, you have 1" negative offset, or 25.4 mm negative offset when converted to metric).

Most wheels have the same size lips on both sides, but it's just easier measuring out side lips when dealing with measuring down through a center.

About "backspace", that is the way it used to always be done before metrics and all these front wheel drive cars and such. Properly, it does refer to the difference between the tire mounting surface of the inner lip and the wheel's mounting surface, not outer edge of inner lip as depicted. It can easily be 1/2 - 3/4" difference depending on the wheel. To do it correctly, I would measuer as shown, then measure the width of that inner lip back to tire bead surface and subtract that. A 15X 7 wheel with 3 " back space is telling me that 4" of that wheel's tire bead mounting width is outside towards the viewer and away from the brake drum / rotor.

Your T-Bird's wheels will almost always have positive offset, or else stick way outside the fenders.

Also, watch that front upper control arm @ ball joint & and ball joint stud sticking down.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!

Last edited by CrystalPistol; 09-25-2008 at 12:53 PM.
post #55 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

15 X 7

Hello

I you are going to use 15 X 7's your back spack will be more than 5 1/4"

Thats what mine are. They came from a Ranger or Explorer.
I need steel wheels. I have a set from a Ranger, Same ring size.
However different bolt pattern. They are 4 1/2in bolt pattern.
They do stick out more do to the wider. 7 VS 6.5

Paul

Paul Nm12tbirdracer@aol.com
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #56 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear Poster

whats the widest tire you can put on a stock cougar rim?
post #57 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Poster

so on my 90 Tbird SC....how wide i can go? currently i have 225/60/16....i jus want to increase the section width to like 245....if anyone has done it before can u guys let me know wats the maximum and safest limit i can go for on stocks....thank you
post #58 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:06 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to crash00527
will these work temporarily until i get the time & money to do a cobra brake and hub swap?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RIM-W...ht_4646wt_2210

1995 40th. Ann. Supercoupe
1 of 5,167
Black ~ AOD ~ Moonroof ~ 82K
SCCOA Member #3093
----------------------------------------------
CPL/0861/0844 USMC
Forward Observer/Fire Direction Center
Click below for Current PICS and MODS.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2466286
post #59 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Poster

Lightbulb wheel offset

a 17x8 wheel is actually 9"" wide because wheel backspacing goes to the outside
edge so a 17x8 wheel with a 4" backspace is actually 1/2" negative - tire guys
measure wheels inside to inside whereas wheel guys measure from outside to
outside hence the confusion - you also need to convert to millimeters because
wheelo mfgs post their specs in mm example: 17x9 wheel w/26mm offset =
6" backspace - as far as polished/chrome/powdercoated wheel upkeep
wax your wheels to seal them just like your paint! "
NEVERDULL IS TOO ABRASIVE!!! you would never use rubbibg compound on new
clearcoated paint, wheels are no different! too many guys put new wheels on and
figure there is some magical spray on hose off cleaners for upkeep - not true
the softest thing i have found is VIVA paper towels - even softer than baby diapers - keep a roll in your trunk for drying wheels
post #60 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to crash00527
Very true and a very good post. Good job!

1995 40th. Ann. Supercoupe
1 of 5,167
Black ~ AOD ~ Moonroof ~ 82K
SCCOA Member #3093
----------------------------------------------
CPL/0861/0844 USMC
Forward Observer/Fire Direction Center
Click below for Current PICS and MODS.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2466286

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.