Projector Headlights - Page 15 - TCCoA Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #421 of 427 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Morimoto Mini H1. This will likely require some slight trimming of the housing to fit but shouldn't be too much. My retrofit has been held up for months due to lack of funds. One of these days I'll open up my new headlights I have waiting to mock it up and see how it sits.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 4.6L V8 - Full LED conversion almost complete - Daily Driver
2012 Mazda 3i Touring - Skyactiv-G 2.0L I4 - LED interior and tag lights, TRS Black Series Clear Lenses w/blocked squirrell finders, DDM 4500K HID low beams, 9011 HIR1 high beams - SOLD
2011 Mazda 2 Sport - 1.5L I4 - LED interior and tag lights, First Retrofitted Mazda 2 in North America using Morimoto Mini D2S projectors and Osram Xenarc 4300K D2S bulbs http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...it-your-Mazda2 - TOTALED
Now offering retrofitting services including projector swaps, lens swaps, painting, etc. PM for details
post #422 of 427 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 09:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Been done already - it does indeed require cutting.

http://forums.tccoa.com/15-exterior/137862-hid-retrofit-progress.html#post1415962

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 233k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #423 of 427 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Yeah except he cut the whole bottom out of the housing before even trimming the shroud at all. Looks like overkill to me.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 4.6L V8 - Full LED conversion almost complete - Daily Driver
2012 Mazda 3i Touring - Skyactiv-G 2.0L I4 - LED interior and tag lights, TRS Black Series Clear Lenses w/blocked squirrell finders, DDM 4500K HID low beams, 9011 HIR1 high beams - SOLD
2011 Mazda 2 Sport - 1.5L I4 - LED interior and tag lights, First Retrofitted Mazda 2 in North America using Morimoto Mini D2S projectors and Osram Xenarc 4300K D2S bulbs http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...it-your-Mazda2 - TOTALED
Now offering retrofitting services including projector swaps, lens swaps, painting, etc. PM for details
post #424 of 427 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 08:13 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post
My G1 projector kit has done well the last 4 years, but now one of the high beam solenoids is starting to stick. It usually clicks on after a couple of seconds. Ill need to take the headlight apart and see what's causing the problem. It might need a dab of oil.

Has anyone thought about stock lenses with led bulbs? The prices have come down and the quality gone up. I wonder if they can compare to or even exceed the projector retrofits?
I just finished an LED conversion in a new set of headlights. They are much nicer than my old projector conversion.
post #425 of 427 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:05 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Got pics? I was still thinking of getting bixenon projectors. How much glaring at oncoming traffic do you get with led? It also worries me that there is a cooling fan on many of the ones I have seen, meaning once the cheap fan goes out, the light will overheat. I am still a bit skeptical, but would like to see what's up.
post #426 of 427 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:48 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post
I just finished an LED conversion in a new set of headlights. They are much nicer than my old projector conversion.
The problem with stock lenses with LED lights is dispersion. It's not as bad as an HID light, but it still isn't as focused a beam as that of a projector, due to how the LED's are positioned on the housing. If you look at videos of the "drop in" 9007 LED's, they just don't focus the beam as well as a halogen or a projector, and you waste a lot of light. Yes, they're brighter, but brightness isn't the only thing you want, you want a usable beam that doesn't dazzle oncoming traffic or disperse too soon.

On a dry night, it probably won't be bad, in the rain, fog, or snow, I wouldn't want to be in the driver seat.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #427 of 427 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:11 PM
5th Gear Poster

Welcome to the latest LED generation. No fans and perfect beam patterns in the stock housings.

My LED Headlight Conversion (97 T-bird)
Woodman likes this.

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-15-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.