Trunk Leak discussion thread. - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 05:44 PM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Cat View Post
Any pictures of exactly where those seams are? Are they the really thin seams parallel to the quarter panels that lead into the trunk jams?

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
rodsv6cougar@cs.com
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 PM
PostWhore

On my tbird here's where the leak is coming from .....

You can see the side closest to the fender the sealer is lifting. Pretty much all around it has lifted. It's not a bad leak, but if you get enough rain it will leak. It was worse when the leaves fell clogging up that area with tree gunk cause it held the moisture there instead of letting it drain out.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Mine leaked at the tail lights. it would seep in and run under the carpet and fill up the spare tire compartment. Drove me insane trying to find for a long time.

95 SC 5-speed The Toy in Storage now.
95 SC Auto Newest storage queen.
91 Festiva 1.3L baby 5 speed
03 Crown Vic Sport 4.6... driver
10 Flex Brick Twin Turbos
*Rodney*
post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:47 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Mine leaked at the same spot though on the passenger's side as well. The panel was replaced in its life due to a family member's accident, but I had the trunk lifter torsion rod go out.

The newer one that went in increased the stress on the seam sealer and the water came in and filled up the spare tire well as well.

I've temporarily patched it with metal adhering silcone sealant until I get the bodywork done.

Was a bugger to find, so this thread is valuable in many senses to those that get this issue.
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
Mine leaked at the tail lights. it would seep in and run under the carpet and fill up the spare tire compartment. Drove me insane trying to find for a long time.
This is where mine leaked from I replaced the corner tail light and the leak topped.

1995 LX 4.6 Stock for now.
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
Checked these seams on my cougar, and they are indead split, very very small cracks but I guess water doesn't need much room to get in. I think I'll have to use a metal pick and just pull the old sealer out and use RTV as some of you suggested. We will see what happens I suppose!

I drive an endangered species...they are being crushed at an alarming rate. Please do your part to preserve the Cougar species, and ensure they live on into the future.

1995 Mercury Cougar XR-7 4.6L 2V 5 Speed
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Collector's Edition Car#94
2009 BMW 535i M Sport Package
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Poster

Mine was also hit in the rear by an F-250. I straigntned the metal that holds the trunk seal but never thought to check the tail light seal. Thanks for the info!
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
PostWhore

Anyone ever have leaks where the spoiler bolts on? On a 95 T-Bird, there appears to be 4 studs holding it on (based on # of pieces of black elec tape patches covering the holes below!)

Thinking about removing it and adding clear silicone under the old seals, unless you can get new seals?

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
If it's a 95 it's an aftermarket/dealer installed spoiler so the seals used could be questionable or even non present. Clear silicone should do the job.

-Matt
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Raoul Duke

For what it's worth, mine has started leaking again. The last time it happened, I cleaned out the quarter-to-trunk-panel seams and filled them with caulk. I then installed a rear strut tower brace from Rod (which is great, by the way) to help remove some of the body flex.

Once the temperature goes back up, I will clean out those seams and seal 'em up again. I also need to grind out the rockers and POR-15 the hell out of the rust.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles

Last edited by cougarcragar; 02-20-2012 at 06:13 PM.
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:55 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Not for nothing, but this ought to be a sticky thread somewhere.
post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Raoul Duke

Perhaps it can be consolidated with the thread I started regarding the quarter panel seams.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarcragar View Post
Perhaps it can be consolidated with the thread I started regarding the quarter panel seams.
Done!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Raoul Duke

Thanks, Joe. I will continue to post my findings and, with any luck, this thread will help other members now and in the future.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:16 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
If it's a 95 it's an aftermarket/dealer installed spoiler so the seals used could be questionable or even non present. Clear silicone should do the job.
You can see seals under there. The dealer must have installed a lot of spoilers then cause I have seen other 95's with them.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
They did, there were a few spoilers made for these cars by aftermarket suppliers at the time that dealers would gladly offer and install. Sort of like the bostonian or other vinyl brougham half tops on Cougars seen all the time.

-Matt
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Poster

If it turn out you need the rubber seal give Steele Rubber a try. I needed a new gasket but could not find one through Ford, so I found these guys. I was very nervous about aftermarket rubber, as I have had some crappy replacements in the past. But this rubber seal was really nice, and $53 delivered. Another bonus is they are made in the USA in NC.
I am not affiliated in any way, just pleased and I figured with the age of our cars, others will need this stuff. They have door seals as well, but I have not tried them yet.

http://www.steelerubber.com/
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 06:38 PM
4th Gear Poster

can you put a pic of this issue I have this leak too!!!
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 04:39 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by msp252 View Post
can you put a pic of this issue I have this leak too!!!
Check posts 31 and 32, pictures are right there.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Poster

If you lift the bottom corner of the rear window molding you'll most likely see the crack continue and possibly even get bigger and spread apart. I filled it up under the rubber with silicone n i'll have to see what happens
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Poster

The silicone under the window molding helped some, but didn't cure itt. Figured out that at the roof line where the body lines go under the window molding gives water a direct path to the trunk. Filled it up with silicone too n the leak finally stopped! Hope this helps
post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Poster

Well, my trunk is still dry, but after a whole day of pretty good rain i was cleaning the insides of the windows i brushed up against the headliner and my arm came back wet. So i guess with stopping the water from going to trunk it just backs up on top of the rear window. This might be where alll of our problems with a wet trunk originated. Gonna try to reseal it n go from there
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:57 PM

Garage
As it seems to be the case with many of you, the seam for the rear fender was my leaky culprit. Pulled about 2 gallons from the trunk when I first noticed. To seal it, I cleaned the area with a de-greaser and then used Marine grade Goop. Fantastic stuff and it worked 100% as I just checked after this rare NY winter thunderstorm just passed through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0708.jpg (1.35 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0709.jpg (1.71 MB, 2 views)
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:41 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Appreciate what has worked for others, this is my experience:

About two months ago, I noticed a musty odor in the trunk of my 95 LX. Remembering this thread I had read on tccoa.com, I checked it out to find a couple inches or rusty water in the spare tire well. I had my car in my one-car garage working other issues from late December through January, and it looked like the water had been in there at least that long. So I'm left wondering where did the water come from. In addition to the car being outside from last summer through December, occasionally I run a sprinkler under the car during the winter/spring to wash off the salt from underneath. So I was racking my brain about where could the water have come from.

The donut spare although rust on the wheel appears to still be usable. Pumped it up to the recommended 60 PSI. I heavily oiled up and worked the jack and it also appears to still be usable. Pulled the floor covering out of the luggage compartment (trunk) and cleaned the rust stains off of that. Pulled out the lower cushion of the back seat, no water found there.

Starting off with a dry trunk, I lined it with kraft paper, thinking it would allow me to see the source of a leak. Then washed the car and ran the sprinkler underneath it. No water found in the trunk. Then with the trunk lid open I ran the hose on the area around the trunk outside of the weatherstripping, no water leaking into the trunk. Still not finding the source of the leak.

Last week I did a thousand miles of highway driving, mostly in the rain. The Washington to Boston 500 and back. It poured while I was there. No water in the trunk.

After I got home, I reinstalled the luggage compartment floor cover and plastic piece that attaches to the rear of the luggage compartment. After I installed it, I noticed that the plastic piece was overlapping the trunk weatherstripping. Speculated that that could cause water to leak into the trunk. I fixed that, pulled the weatherstripping so it was outside of the plastic piece that runs the width of the rear of the luggage compartment.

I'm concluding that the reason for the trunk of my car collecting water in the spare compartment is because either the trunk weatherstripping wasn't properly sealing around the rear trunk plate, or maybe, I left the car out in the rain with the trunk lid not closed tightly and rain got in. In any event, on my '95 LX, I think the problem was because of an insufficient seal of the trunk weatherstripping. I think the water leaked in when it rolled down the trunk lid around the weatherstripping until it fell into the trunk through an untight seal at the bottom. If in the future I find otherwise I'll provide an update on this site as needed.

Good luck finding the source of any leaks if you have this problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.