94/5 SC bumper & skirts on 96 T-Bird done! (pics) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

94/95 SC bumper & skirts on 96 T-Bird done! (pics)

Well I've had the bumper and skirts for over a year but got lazy and cheap. Finally I decided to bite the bullet and open my wallet wide to let a body shop paint the pieces.

So I now have a 96 T-Bird with a 95 SC rear bumper & side skirts. I had the body shop weld up the holes on the trunk where the emblems were and paint that also. Boy it wasn't cheap... and they didn't match the paint on the skirts all that well on the first try. I took it back and had them repainted (we split the cost that time).

Anyway, here are some pics, I think the car looks fantastic now. Thoughts...? Comments...?

It almost gives the car a bit of a lowered appearance without touching the suspension (you don't want to go too low in my city with all the potholes and uneven streets)

I also added some cheap clear corner lamps I got off eBay

And for a few pics of the installation / fitment (I did the install):

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech.com
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement

Last edited by 96PRLBRD; 11-30-2014 at 01:46 PM.
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:39 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Nice!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Poster

Wow, that looks great. Good job.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 08:02 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I think it looks great

My thoughts/comments? Since you asked, I think the front either needs some sort of GFX to carry out the look. That or better yet a 94/5 bumper like Earls 96 had when he got it. I'd have also cut the cladding and mount the GFX in the factory location. The door GFX drooping below would drive me nuts.

-Matt
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
I think it looks great

My thoughts/comments? Since you asked, I think the front either needs some sort of GFX to carry out the look. That or better yet a 94/5 bumper like Earls 96 had when he got it. I'd have also cut the cladding and mount the GFX in the factory location. The door GFX drooping below would drive me nuts.
I agree that the front bumper needs something. The closest thing that I like is the Xenon front bumper. That's way down on my list though, I have other things I'll do first. Too much work to change out to a 94/5 front bumper. Besides I have two brand new OEM headlights (96) that I am installing.

Cutting the side skirts would have been a major pain in the butt, like major, to get the cuts perfectly lined up (especially on a white car). Right now the skirts sit lower but if the door is closed you can't tell at all. Plus there's no way to modify (shorten) the aluminum door pieces if you did cut the urethane pieces so it might not fit correctly anyway.

I'm soooo glad I had them weld up the holes on the trunk, that really cleaned things up. The skirts/bumper has been on my "want" list since I bought the car just over 2 years ago so I'm glad I was finally able to get 'er done.

In hindsight, I wish I had drilled two holes (one in each end of the door) to help hold the door pieces on more like the factory did. I didn't want to drill so I used double-sided tape across the entire top edge, on each end, and on the plastic pieces at the ends. So the door pieces are held on pretty well but if I did it again (or if they fall off), I'll just drill the holes.

I did drill a bunch of holes under the car and used plastic trim clips (same ones used on stock rear bumpers) to hold on the ground effects. They are held on really well, they're not going anywhere.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
96/7 lights hood and and header panel all work with the 94/5 bumper. You'd only need to swap crash foam, otherwise it's a direct swap.

I undertand why no cutting was done on the cladding or GFX I just know how OCD I am and how much that lip would bug me for the few seconds of entry/exit It looks great though, don't get me wrong.

-Matt
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
...I just know how OCD I am and how much that lip would bug me for the few seconds of entry/exit It looks great though, don't get me wrong.
I get that, I'm an*l about certain things too.

I thought the hood and headlights needed to be swapped to go with the 94/5 bumper. Oh well I'm not worried about that just yet... because my 4.10 gears arrived yesterday. Now I need to get my butt in gear in the "peripheral" things needed. Rear lube mod, driveshaft, speedcal, etc. to go along with that. I have most parts needed.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I agree 94/95 front bumper would look good-I played with a few looks but went back to the 95 bumper.

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:50 PM
6th Gear Poster

looks good to me, nicer than my tbird and others lol
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 03:12 AM
PostWhore

Nice improvement. Esp. like the deleted truck lid emblems, i.e. the scrip "Thunderbird".
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 03:45 AM
PostWhore

Take a look a Phatbird's front air dam.

http://youtu.be/zW1aKanzVeY

I think I like that air dam better than any other I've seen. Looks good on the 96/97 bumper.

That car is an example of cladding delete also.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
PHATBRD's car started as a 94, so I wouldn't call it an example of cladding delete.

-Matt
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 08:52 AM
3rd Gear Poster

94-95 front bumper and that would complete it.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
PHATBRD's car started as a 94, so I wouldn't call it an example of cladding delete.

I do like '94/'95 Birds without the cladding compared to the '96/'97, esp. the latter when GFX's are installed.

Been doing some experimenting on the nose of my '95 T-Bird.
I have two non SC '95 bumpers. One on the car, the other stored. Installed a '96 header panel with '96 projection beam headlamps. It bolted right up, no problem. However, the '95 hood does not match. The cut out curve for the headlamps do not match the '96 lamps.

[IMG][/IMG]

The hood does close, and is latched all the way.

So I'll install a '96/'97 hood. Possibly one from this company...

http://fiberpartsconcepts.com/1298488.html

Ah, but the '96/'97 hood does not match the center character line of the '95 bumper. The "point" right above the chrome Thunderbird emblem.

[IMG][/IMG]

On the '96/'97 bumper that part is straight across with no point. There is no center high line on the '96/'97 hoods.

So, with a '96 bumper that I also have squirreled away, I will cut, and graft that part of the bumper onto the other '95 bumper that I have.

Hope no one feels I've jacked the thread. Just wanted the readers to know what are some challenges with making these kinds of swaps.

Race.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
This conversion has been well documented here over the last 15 years. The point in the bumper can be blunted a bit during prep to the point where it's unnoticeable with the hood after all is said and done. Even if it's not it's virtually unnoticeable when the bumper is properly aligned.

I think a 96/7 grille section would be neat but I have a hard time imagining the blending would turn out any neater than the stock 94/5 grille/96/7 hood combo. The grille section will cut right through that horizontal character line in the bumper.

-Matt
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 03:15 AM
PostWhore

Thank you for taking the time to post the great examples of what we're posting about.

For the record my idea is not to graft the whole grille, just that part of bumper above the emblem.

However, I absolutely value your judgement on such details, and once I acquire a hood will no doubt see the validity in your conviction.

What's cool too is that Kansas does not issue front license plates.

But, what is cold, is that Ford County Kansas charged me $780.00 for one yr. tabs on my 2013 daily driver, (Impala [yawn]) Not purchase tax mind you. Just for that little sticker on the plate. My jaw actually dropped to the counter. Dang.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:48 PM
CEO, WT Club

Send a message via AIM to GODSPEED Send a message via MSN to GODSPEED
Quote:

I miss that car... RIP. For what it's worth that is with no bumper or hood modifications, just took the time to align it well. Rushton, Where exactly in KS are you? I have a spare white 97 hood in the garage with some dents (interesting story) I'd let go if you were looking.

-Joel

Previous MN12s:
'95 Thunderbird 4.6L V8 - Performance White
Bought 01/12/08 w/ 33,000 original mi. Big plans, little execution. Sold as a fallen victim to life's happenings.
'95 Thunderbird 4.6L V8 - Performance White
Leaky shifter @ 137,441; what a good ride. Gone to the crusher, but not forgotten... moth and rust doth corrupt.

'13 Mustang GT Premium 5.0L V8, Auto, Brembo, Black - Daily Dark Horse
'11 Edge SEL AWD 3.5L V6, Loaded, Black - For the Misses
'98 F-150 XLT RegCab 8'Bed, 4.6L V8 4x4 ORP Oxford White - Work Truck

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:23 AM
PostWhore

I live in Dodge City, KS.. About 5 1/2 hrs. one way to KCMO. But the distance really isn't that big of deal to me. It's the fact that I currently have no way to haul a hood.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.