Drl c186 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Drl c186

First of all, hi everyone!

New to this forum, I've been a proud owner of my '97 4.6L LX Limited Edition T-Bird for almost ten years. I recently tried to install the Daytime Running Light module and found after a lot of research that it should be pretty much plug & play. It should be plugged into the C186 located on the driver's side fender somewhere and the fuse should also be plugged in. I brought the car to an electrician who said after searching that he could not find the C186 plug and the DRL fuse slot is probably not even wired. Does anyone know if that is actually possible? Or could anyone provide a picture where the plug is visible?

I assumed all the 90's Fords would be pre-wired for the DRL module. I had a '98 Taurus before the Bird which had it installed and activated and worked perfectly.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards, Fabian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
They were only pre-wired for DRL in early supercoupes IIRC, definitely wouldn't be in a US spec 97

-Matt
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
They were only pre-wired for DRL in early supercoupes IIRC, definitely wouldn't be in a US spec 97
Thank you for your quick reply. I guess there is no easy way to have it installed even by someone who knows what he's doing? Unfortunately there was no manual or schematics showing which wire should go where...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Kind of slapped together

There is a schematic in the EVTM; I'd grab a set (EVTM and FSM) off Ebay.

RwP

Fuelly
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Ralph. Just checked, the shipping to Europe is extremely expensive for these heavy books... Since I only need the wiring for the DRL's it's some kind of an overkill. Together with the module and the custom built harness and plugs necessary these would get too expensive.

Would anyone be so kind and willing to share a picture or a scan just of the DRL section for me? This is a lot to ask I know but I don't think I can get hold of the EVTM & FSM over here...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
I'll snap a pic of mine this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
There is a schematic in the EVTM; I'd grab a set (EVTM and FSM) off Ebay.

RwP
Not all year EVTMs have the DRL diagram, my 95 one does, my 96 one doesn't, and I imagine 97 won't either.

-Matt
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
I'll snap a pic of mine this afternoon.

Not all year EVTMs have the DRL diagram, my 95 one does, my 96 one doesn't, and I imagine 97 won't either.
Thanks a lot, that's very kind of you. Didn't they export the 96 & 97 T-Bird to Canada at all? As I understood they all had to have the DRL working at that time - probably still do? I guess with LED's these days? I'm wondering why your diagrams don't have have it included because they said the module will fit the 97 where I bought it (rockauto.com.) Sorry but I'm very confused...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Yes they were sold in Canada, but I think there may have been regional manuals. My US 95 manual has it because SCs were still prewired for it that year(they had a jumper in place of the module), but LXs weren't. Ford bean counters didn't want to add unused copper to the high volume models.

-Matt
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:19 PM
PostWhore

I know the automatic DRL's were mandatory for a number of years, but I notice new cars don't seem to have them anymore? Are they manual instead of automatic now?

None of my cars have DRL's.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 66k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:45 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't think they were ever mandatory in the US, but many cars have them anyway, usually imports(the ones actually imported via container ship) since they cater to multiple markets.

Anyway, here's the full EVTM section.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0638.JPG (2.73 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0639.JPG (2.57 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0640.JPG (2.42 MB, 2 views)

-Matt
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much Matt, highly appreciated! I'll give these to my electrician, let's see if he can come up with something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
I know the automatic DRL's were mandatory for a number of years, but I notice new cars don't seem to have them anymore? Are they manual instead of automatic now?

None of my cars have DRL's.

Al
DRL's are never manual. They were mandatory for all cars in Canada from 89 or 90 on but I don't know until when. They also allowed indicators glowing brightly in amber I think, don't remember exactly... in the US they were always allowed but not mandatory as far as I know. In Europe they've been mandatory in a lot of countries since a couple of years (or if your car is too old to be equipped with them you have to switch on your standard headlights all the time) but they all have LED's and sometimes so low near the road that they don't do their job like they should... That's why I like the Canadian version; it's where usually the lights are and it beams high with reduced output so it isn't too bright but is still seen from a great distance.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Veteran Poster

When I want to drive in the daytime with the headlights on I usually just turn them on. Easier than a bunch of wiring and splicing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.