tail light problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Boost!!!

tail light problem

Hey guys, I didn't know if anyone has had this issue, because I couldn't find a thread on it...The bird me and my wife bought has developed a problem...Both the tail running lights have gone out completely, but not the reverse lights, or blinkers. Also the interior dash lights (gauges) quit working at the same time. We checked all the fuses, and none are blown...any ideas?

Blake

1996 thunderbird lx (the silver slut)
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=387

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 02:08 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Do you have headlights? I had a problem with mine (headlights and dash lights) and it was the headlight switch.

The multifunction switch can mess up a few things too when it goes bad, might want to look into that.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Boost!!!

Headlights work, but they are auto. The headlight and dimmer switch do nothing to the dash lights, but the dimmer switch does still turn on the dome light.

Blake

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 05:32 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Just dont hit the brakes!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Boost!!!

Brake lights work too. The running lights don't

Blake

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:53 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Did you check ALL the fuses (including those under the hood)?

I'd suspect the multi-function switch. Quite a few connections in that turn signal lever that cause lots of goofy issues when it goes bad. Motorcraft are still available on Rock Auto, and they tend to last about 20 years or so...

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Boost!!!

All fuses in kick panel and under hood are good. Any way to check the switch besides replacing it? Don't think I can get one tomorrow, and I'm only in town Saturday and part of Sunday every weekend to work on it... I'll check the auto parts store for a switch tomorrow.

Blake

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:53 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by modularbird View Post
All fuses in kick panel and under hood are good. Any way to check the switch besides replacing it? Don't think I can get one tomorrow, and I'm only in town Saturday and part of Sunday every weekend to work on it... I'll check the auto parts store for a switch tomorrow.
I haven't had good luck overall with parts store electronics. I'd say order a genuine Motorcraft unit from Rock Auto, and it'll be there for you to work on next weekend. It's a $35 part, easy to change, and the first step in troubleshooting goofy lighting issues.

2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Boost!!!

I'll probably take the switch from my car and try it on hers before I buy parts that might fix it. Just to save time. If it fixes it then I'll buy a new one.

Blake

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:40 AM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Isn't the switch for the autolight setup different than non auto units? I've a salvage yard switch, but I'm not sure it's an auto or non auto unit.
How to tell?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 11:08 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv View Post
Isn't the switch for the autolight setup different than non auto units? I've a salvage yard switch, but I'm not sure it's an auto or non auto unit.
How to tell?
The switch itself is the same, the auto lamps have an extra part that plugs in I believe.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Boost!!!

It has a dial like the dimmer switch for the autos.

Blake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.