Ground effects 91 need to remove if it's possible or are these pieces part of the car - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Removing 25 yr old ground effects

Anyone have suggestions first step to remove ground effects from 1991 southern body Thunderbird sport ..as far as how well the double sided tape is on there ? All the screws come out HEAT GUN maybe ? What kind of mess is hidden beneath it's all a gamble ?
I think I'm gonna rid them and go with out them on top of the fact I want to repaint the car and when I do I' need them refinished and want them painted off the car what's weird is they look like razzi effects but the 91 sport front bumper cover has the lines that came stock so I don't know if the kit was factory or aftermarket to match the front cover cause of the front bumper cover (factory) lines match the rest of the removable pieces
I'll show some photos .
I know the paint will be dull maybe have some blemishes but if anyone knows or has removed these let me know ..
I wheel paint for a living and remove vehicle wraps at my job but I'm not underestimating 25 yr old ground effects that are glued like cement ...
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:53 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Careful with a heat gun, too much and you can melt plastic real fast.
It'd be using the gun while applying pressure to pull the tape off... spurts of heat with constant pressure...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Notice the front bumper has factory lines that match the rest of the kit ...so I assume the rest is either aftermarket option from back when or it came that way .So if I remove the side skirts and the matching door molding will the car be smooth beneath like a regular LX . Not to mention I wanna find out what these are hiding as far as damage rust etc...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170618_175152340_1497822842005.jpg (4.30 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170618_175202675_1497822937610.jpg (4.11 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170618_175207672_1497822973313.jpg (4.46 MB, 3 views)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:13 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
That looks to be the Razzi kit. It's an aftermarket install so installation quality will vary but usually they're held on with 2 sided tape and screws in the wheel opening lips, so it should be completely smooth underneath. Rust too will vary depending on location. On SCs with factory installed GFX in a northern climate they tend to hide rust until the rockers can't support them anymore, aftermarket at be better since there aren't support tabs riveted into sheetmetal.

-Matt
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
That looks to be the Razzi kit. It's an aftermarket install so installation quality will vary but usually they're held on with 2 sided tape and screws in the wheel opening lips, so it should be completely smooth underneath. Rust too will vary depending on location. On SCs with factory installed GFX in a northern climate they tend to hide rust until the rockers can't support them anymore, aftermarket at be better since there aren't support tabs riveted into sheetmetal.
Well it's a Kentucky car that was garaged even in Kentuckys worst months ... It shows and never seen states north of Kentucky until I got it ... There is no rust on car anywhere except one spot driver front rocker where the fender meets sort of up by the lower door hinge ... And I'm assuming this is from the stupid excessive foaming they put behind rockers plus leafs and debris fill up in that area and water collects there i read somewhere on this forum But the door lips and everything else is spotless so I assume the door skin beneath should be at best faded ...
I just was wondering what do people use to begin to remove these kits .. aside from a heat gun
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:08 PM
̇

Garage
If you weren't painting the car, I would tell you to be careful removing the GFX..

I found an early Cougar in the junkyard that had this Razzi kit on it..The car had been crunched by a tree falling on it..
Anyways, aside from the screws in the fender wells holding the GFX on..It was all held on with 3M tape..

After removing the screws, it all peeled off the car very easily but left the tape behind..

I was originally going to install it on my car, but changed my mind and went a different direction with my car..
I ended up just giving it away to my buddy who had a 92 Sport at the time..

I guess you could save yourself some extra body work if you are careful removing the old tape..

Like you said though, it's going to be hard to tell how hardened that tape has become over the years..

I would at least soften it up before you try removing it though..
Basically saturate the entire length of tape with Acetone, and try removing it by hand after the tape has softened up significantly..

If you have to use heat, do it in baby steps..Like a hair dryer, then a heat gun on low..
I wouldn't suggest using a heat gun on the high setting to remove the tape..It could cause some unwanted paint damage..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:02 AM
PostWhore

Unless you're painting the car, I would just leave them on there. All said and done, I think it will be worse with them off with the paint fading, tape peeling paint off, and holes to patch.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
My suggestion would be to use some fishing line to get behind them and saw back and forth with it to work your way through the tape. Once they are off, there is a thing called an eraser wheel, which you chock in the end of a drill, and it will remove all leftover tape and residue off the car without hurting the paint.

And if you do remove them, how much for the door insert pieces? I picked up a 90 Cougar XR7 that has this kit, but is missing those 2 pieces.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:33 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
yeah, fishing line...I'd forgotten about that..

Can you take some pics of the entire car? I'm interested in seeing the whole thing
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
My suggestion would be to use some fishing line to get behind them and saw back and forth with it to work your way through the tape. Once they are off, there is a thing called an eraser wheel, which you chock in the end of a drill, and it will remove all leftover tape and residue off the car without hurting the paint.

And if you do remove them, how much for the door insert pieces? I picked up a 90 Cougar XR7 that has this kit, but is missing those 2 pieces.
Rather sell it all as a whole it's useless parting the kit out that leaves me with a few parts that likely no one will want separate
The kits in good shape especially the door inserts side skirts and rear valance it had been finished primed and painted gloss black at one point and most of it shows still good but over the years the front has taken some hits no cracks just stress fractures. Needs all sanded filled primed and painted consider kits go from 400-1000 $ unfinished over 1200$ painted/shipped from a few body kit stores
200$ for it all is fair and have the extras ... But you pay shipping outside 0f the 200 $

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.