Niteshades for your taillights and 96-97 Headlight/Corner Light Painting - Page 3 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 01:37 PM
PostWhore

go to a junkyard and buy a set of el cheapos and slap them on. Then, when you show the cop it's fixed, go home and put the niteshades back on lol

I don't know how to get that off, but I'm sure aircraft paint stripper would work...it's like gorilla glue in paint stripper form....don't know what it'd do the headlights though, since that crap would have to be sanded down almost...

89 Cougar XR-7...slightly modded, 240 rwhp / 340 rwtq, Best time as of 4/22/12 = 13.11 @ 103.82, 1.78 60'
post #62 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 04:53 PM
PostSlut

i hate this crap!

makes it very hard for other drivers to see your brake lights during the day!

This post is not directed toward anyone here.....just ranting!

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #63 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
i hate this crap!

Dude, it's funny you should mention that. Yesterday on my way back from Kentucky (at night), I was looking at this Mustang that the tailights were so dim, I thought his alternator must not be working and he's killing his battery. When he hit his brake lights, they were almost as bright as everybody else's tailights. Well, after I passed him, I could see his headlights in the mirror and they were VERY bright; I figured he must have had those blacked out tailights.

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #64 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 08:54 PM
PostWhore

I had the GTS headlight and taillight covers when I was in high school and those were dangerous as #$%^ at night. I can't believe I drove with those things on at night - couldn't see anything. I'd forget to take them off and leave a brightly lit parking lot and woah! Not worth the hassle of taking them off and putting them back on

89 Cougar XR-7...slightly modded, 240 rwhp / 340 rwtq, Best time as of 4/22/12 = 13.11 @ 103.82, 1.78 60'
post #65 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:04 PM
4th Gear Poster

It depends on how dark you go. I did mine a few weaks ago and installed brighter bulbs. Worked great at night and real good in the day. Hell its better then no brake lights like alot of them around here.
- Robert
post #66 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduty View Post
It depends on how dark you go. I did mine a few weaks ago and installed brighter bulbs. Worked great at night and real good in the day. Hell its better then no brake lights like alot of them around here.
- Robert
What bulbs did you use? I did mine today. I think they look great.

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
post #67 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph15 View Post
I did mine about 3months ago. I taped the bird and cut the outline with a box cutter so the paint wouldnt touch it,

Photobucket
I am doing this! It would look so sweet on the black bird!!

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts 14.56@90.54MPH
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Inject tech chip, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with Tru-X core, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #68 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
i hate this crap!

I agree 1,000,000,000% !!!

Dudes - get covers. Or make some.

WHY go out of your way to make it hard to see your car at night?

WHY not just close your eyes and drive????

I'll direct it to EVERYONE who does this stupid, idiotic crap on street cars.

(Trailer queens and show only cars? Darken to your heart's content. If it hits the street - I really DO hope the police pull your plates and your license for driving such a stupidly moronic piece of crap on the road.)

RwP
post #69 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 04:52 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
I agree 1,000,000,000% !!!

Dudes - get covers. Or make some.

WHY go out of your way to make it hard to see your car at night?

WHY not just close your eyes and drive????

I'll direct it to EVERYONE who does this stupid, idiotic crap on street cars.

(Trailer queens and show only cars? Darken to your heart's content. If it hits the street - I really DO hope the police pull your plates and your license for driving such a stupidly moronic piece of crap on the road.)

RwP
Now, that wasn't really called for, was it? Just because you don't like it/think it's unsafe, whatever, don't flame others for doing it. I don't agree with doing it with the headlights, as the OP also said, but as long as you don't completely blacken out your tail lights, what the F is the problem? You can see them just fine at night, and just fine during the day, as long as they are done right. Having a non-smoked third brake light helps as well It's not like everyone who does it is purposely making their car hard to see at night, read all the posts, they are looking for brighter lights as well, or adding LED strips, looking for better ways to brighten the lights up after doing this. I never once got pulled over for smoking my tail lights, why? Well, maybe BECAUSE THEY COULD BE SEEN AND WERE PERFECTLY SAFE!

This was not a "post your dumb opinions about using Niteshades on your car" thread, it was made by the OP to show others how to do it right, let's leave it that way.

1994 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 SOHC........Air silencer delete, muffler delete (LOL), and smoked tails......SOLD!

Current: 1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5.0 HO 3.27 gears
post #70 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

+1 I agree with you bird. And get covers, They do the same thing. Except they look worse.

Will

post #71 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to ThunderRoad
Cool use acetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8tiveJuggalo17 View Post
Hey Guys I Need Some Help ASAP!...i did the VHT NightShades on My 97 Bird With 3-4Coats and Then I Added 3-4 Coats Of Clear Coat..But Yesterday I Got Pulled Over And If I Do Not Remove It In 10 Days I Will Be Fined...What Is The Quickest Easiest Way To Get Off 3-4Coats Of VHT & 3-4Coats Of Clear? I Tried Paint Thinner But It Didnt Seem To Be Doing The Job....Just Running Off Or Somthing...
Thanks Peeps!

Jeremy
try a small spot first need a lotto rags you can get it at auto zone
post #72 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Raoul Duke

Wouldn't acetone melt the plastic?

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
post #73 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Banned

Cool thats why i said try a small spot first

I WAS ABLE TO DO MINE BY QUICK WIPING NOT LEAVING THE ACETONE STAY ON LONG ....LOAD THE RAG WITH ACETONE WIPE QUICK LET DRY DO AGAIN THATS WHY NEED A LOT OF RAGS THE PAINT SUCKS INTO THE RAGS THEY ARE NO GOOD SO A NEW ONE MUST BE USED AFTER EACH WIPE
post #74 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

Cool If You Use 50 Watt Fog Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduty View Post
- Robert
TURNED ON WITH HEADS IT IS GREAT
post #75 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
I WAS ABLE TO DO MINE BY QUICK WIPING NOT LEAVING THE ACETONE STAY ON LONG ....LOAD THE RAG WITH ACETONE WIPE QUICK LET DRY DO AGAIN THATS WHY NEED A LOT OF RAGS THE PAINT SUCKS INTO THE RAGS THEY ARE NO GOOD SO A NEW ONE MUST BE USED AFTER EACH WIPE
Really, both posts stop yelling.

Will

post #76 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by '94bird View Post
Now, that wasn't really called for, was it? Just because you don't like it/think it's unsafe, whatever, don't flame others for doing it. I don't agree with doing it with the headlights, as the OP also said, but as long as you don't completely blacken out your tail lights, what the F is the problem? You can see them just fine at night, and just fine during the day, as long as they are done right. Having a non-smoked third brake light helps as well It's not like everyone who does it is purposely making their car hard to see at night, read all the posts, they are looking for brighter lights as well, or adding LED strips, looking for better ways to brighten the lights up after doing this. I never once got pulled over for smoking my tail lights, why? Well, maybe BECAUSE THEY COULD BE SEEN AND WERE PERFECTLY SAFE!

This was not a "post your dumb opinions about using Niteshades on your car" thread, it was made by the OP to show others how to do it right, let's leave it that way.
Niteshades applied lightly will allow a proper amount of light to pass through if the bulb wattage is raised, but using 20 coats till the lens is no longer transparent diminishes light output immensely and becomes a major hazzard to other drivers, day or night. Half the cars in this thread are dangerously dark, and the majority of the ones on the road are even worse. Trying to figure out how to make it safer after the fact doesnt make it any better, that should be thought of before the can is even shaken.

Also this thread is not "whore your overly applied nightshades thread" either, its supposed to be a TECH thread(as in, don't post unless you have tech to add). This thread needs serious pruning and a lock.

-Matt
post #77 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 02:00 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice217 View Post
With brake lights

Im sorry but if you can't see this during the day then you sir are the hazzard on the road.

MMMMMMMMMMMMM..........MMM..........MMMMMMMMMMMMM
.......MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM........
MMMMM........................................

THUNDERBIRD: because everyone else drives a mustang.
post #78 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 02:36 PM
3rd Gear Poster

damn it seems like we have a bunch of gandpappies in here i love dark taillights but the best way to tint them is with tinted clear it looks more professional. J.M.T.C.

1989 THUNDERBIRD
3.8 LITER
BLOWN HEAD GASKETS
H\G fixed
post #79 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 AM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8tiveJuggalo17 View Post
Hey Guys I Need Some Help ASAP!...i did the VHT NightShades on My 97 Bird With 3-4Coats and Then I Added 3-4 Coats Of Clear Coat..But Yesterday I Got Pulled Over And If I Do Not Remove It In 10 Days I Will Be Fined...What Is The Quickest Easiest Way To Get Off 3-4Coats Of VHT & 3-4Coats Of Clear? I Tried Paint Thinner But It Didnt Seem To Be Doing The Job....Just Running Off Or Somthing...
Thanks Peeps!

Jeremy
I know this is late but I just finished taking the shades off of my buddies 97. !!!DO NOT USE THINNER!!! We tried this at first and it started to eat at the plastic. What I finally did was take the assembly off and RO sand with 800 grit to get the night shades off and then wet sanded with 2000 grit until it was smooth to the touch. Finally a little Meguiars headlight restorer to buff and polish and BAM good as new...actually better then new! It takes time but it is worth it

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l sohc - lots of plans but short on time and cash
post #80 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:04 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKLHED View Post
I thought this was a cool effect on the bird.. Where we taped them off the spray couldnt get into the grooves around them. The effect @ night looks like neon trim! haha
For the light behind the tbird logo, did you just install some lights? im debating on doing that as well
post #81 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

All 94-97 Thunderbirds had led panels in the deck lights, if your 96 dosent yours probably burned out, you can replace the led or get a working set off another car

Rob
2004 QSM Pontiac GTO 1 of 889 245,00 and counting
post #82 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 10:25 PM
3rd Gear Poster

hmmmm ive got the deck lid panels off my car now so ill check em out to see. only thing i know is when i took them off, there was 1 wire running, and that was for the reverse light, no other wires ran into the panel
post #83 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 10:32 PM
PostWhore

It's possible that someone cut the wires. Someone else had the exact same issue and when he ran new wires the panel worked perfectly. Years of not being used kept them in perfect condition.

-Randy-
post #84 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

there should be a reverse light, and then there should be a white plug dangiling from behind the decklid kinda where the reverse lights are, the tail light should have the male end that plug IIRC

Rob
2004 QSM Pontiac GTO 1 of 889 245,00 and counting
post #85 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 05:43 AM
3rd Gear Poster

I'll check em out today and see if something just isnt/wasnt connected, if so check it and post back later. thanks for the info!
post #86 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 12:37 PM
3rd Gear Poster

yeah they ended up having them after all so your right :P they just werent plugged in is all
post #87 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 09:14 PM

any canadian members interested in doing this, you can buy the night shades paint from canadiantire $12 a can no shipping fees or times. i did my old sable tail lights with this and only used less than half a can...and i put to much on. anyone wondering 1 can is more then enough
post #88 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 09:21 PM

also i wouldnt do more then 4 coats i did i think 5 and during the day hours you could not see my brakes lights... kinda asking to get rear ended, i did my buddys and did 3 thin coats turned out perfect.
post #89 of 118 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
also i wouldnt do more then 4 coats i did i think 5 and during the day hours you could not see my brakes lights... kinda asking to get rear ended, i did my buddys and did 3 thin coats turned out perfect.
It all depends on how heavy you coat it. If you do it in moderation it can turn out safe and still look good.
post #90 of 118 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:05 AM
5th Gear Poster

Let me add to the headlight painting portion of this thread since some parts are kind of vague. I am currently painting the inside of my headlights and clear corners and it is a bittersweet process so far. The 1997 headlights are fairly easy to work on. To separate the lens from the reflector, I found that setting your oven to "warm" and heating it for twenty minutes or so on a cookie sheet works best. Take off the metal clips and put them aside as they are critical to holding the pieces together as they cool when the process is finished. Use a oven mitt when removing one headlight at a time. You should check them several times after twenty minutes and you will notice that the glue will begin to become pliable. Use a wide prying tool and carefully separate. It may take a few tries in and out of the oven before you finally get it. When all the pieces are apart, mask off the areas you don't want painted, and spray it up. No scuffing or special paint is needed. When dry, remove the tape and you may notice some areas that need some attention. For paint removal I carefully used Q-tips and nail polish remover. Be careful not to rub to long on the reflectors as the chrome will come off, showing the black undercoat. If this happens, don't worry, it's not too visible when complete. Do not pour the remover directly onto the plastic because it will chemically melt the plastic...so dip...don't pour. When you're satisfied with your work, put all four pieces back on your cookie sheet and bake for twenty, reversing your process. Eventually they will come back together without the use of any additional glue. Some may say that you do but you may notice that these are not sealed housings, as evidenced by the black tubes that allow moisture to escape and for fresh air to defog the lenses. Put the metal clips back on and let them cool. I put mine in the freezer to hasten the process.*

Clear corners are a completely different beast. There are primarily two types of glue used on clear corner lights...glue similar to that used on your headlights, or glue that is unaffected by heat. Throw your corners in the oven with the headlights to check which type you have. If they separate easily, give them the same treatment as you did the headlights. If not, you're in for some man-hours! Opening will require the use of a Dremel tool. You will need to cut the lens from the housing. This is not terribly hard. Cut along the edge closest to the housing. You will notice that in some areas your dremel cut-off wheel will not cut deep enough, so you will have to cut into the housing, making sure to keep the mounting tabs for the weatherseal intact. Once you have it separated, make sure to remove the silver metallic paint on the outside edge. Mask. Paint. Then use a caulking gun glue like Liquid Nails to reseal your edges. It may look rough on the outsides but once you get them bolted back into your header panel you will never notice.

A few things to remember while working on this project...
1) There is no need to do a crazy tape job when masking to match the spears at the end of the ribbed areas of the reflector as this attention to detail will not be noticed.
2) If you take out any of the bulb covers when painting...don't forget to put them BACK IN!!!
3) Wash all inside surfaces of the lens/reflector. You may never get a chance to get the grubby fingerprints off again.*
4) Take your time while doing this project. Take plenty of breaks to prevent frustration or part damage. Total time for this project is 10+ hours so make it a weekend deal

Once everything is done, you will be quite pleased with the new look to your Thunderbird/Cougar if you're into this type of thing. (Obviously you are if you are reading this thread)

May the Force be with you!

If you can't hear it before you see it...what's the point?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.