Niteshades for your taillights and 96-97 Headlight/Corner Light Painting - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Raoul Duke

Let's use this information and add/subtract from it as necessary.

Note: Always check your local laws regarding tinted/smoked headlights or taillights. Perform these modifications at your own risk.

VHT Niteshades:
This is a transparent black spray paint used on taillights and other lenses. It can often be purchased from Summit Racing, Jegs, or eBay.
When using Niteshades, it's often a good idea to remove the light from the vehicle and set it up properly to avoid runs. For example, you can remove the "taillight bar" from a Cougar and lay it flat for optimum results. It is absolutely imperative that you clean the surface well before applying the paint. You will not be using a primer (for obvious reasons), so the surface must be perfectly clean to lessen the chance of "fish eyes" and other paint flaws. I've always used rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush to get wax out of the raised lettering. You may have success using Prep-All or a similar preparation product.
With VHT Niteshades, 2-3 coats will give you a smoked effect and 4+ coats will give you the blacked-out effect. I've always been satisfied with 2-3 coats, but it's entirely up to you. Be aware that you will have progressively decreased light output for each additional coat. Don't overdo it. Also, Niteshades has a propensity to be removed via polishing compounds and waxes. After several waxes of the car, I've noticed that the taillights are slowly returning to their normal state. The polishing and buffing will remove a small amount of the paint each time you do it. (I wax just about everything).

This is how two coats will appear:

How two coats look with darker ambient light:

Painted Headlights & Corners:

Write-up:
http://members.tccoa.com/thndrn1/howto/index.html

This is a fairly basic modification. It involves painting the surfaces of your headlights that don't reflect light forward and corner lights to achieve a smoked effect. In short, you can paint the bottoms and sides inside the housing, but not the faceted rear section. Many modern vehicles, such as the Grand Cherokee, have this exact setup for the same reason. I used high-temp satin black paint for mine and they've held up very well for nearly two years. This process involves disassembling the lights, painting the non-reflective areas, then sealing them back up.
The headlights are simple to take apart and reassemble, with just four clips and some basic adhesive. Some will suggest you put them in the oven for a few minutes to soften the adhesive, but I've had excellent results by just soaking the lights in very hot water for about 20 minutes. Now, the corners were a total nightmare. I spent almost two hours per corner during the project. Most of the time invested was using the Dremel and cut-off wheels to cut through the housings. There is no way to pry them apart to break a seal, as the plastic will just fracture. They must be cleanly cut all the way around and sealed back up at that joint. I used a lot of clear silicone sealant.
For those who have been frustrated by this project, it is possible to do it properly and enjoy condensation-free lights for several years. My lights are a perfect example. You must be patient and use caution when cutting the corner lights.

This is how the lights will appear after the painting process:

For those who want to use Niteshades on their headlights to get the smoked effect, you may run into problems. Niteshades is very prone to paint defects due to the fact that you can't use a primer. Most of the small flaws (fish eyes, orange peel, runs) aren't very noticeable in taillights due to their color and reflective qualities. However, headlights and corner lights will show nearly every flaw. It's best to use the painting method for a clean and reliable way to customize them. You may also purchase aftermarket covers, usually made by GTS, but they are fast-becoming difficult to find. They pop up on eBay every now and then.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles

Last edited by cougarcragar; 02-20-2012 at 08:17 PM.
post #2 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Poster

I sprayed my taillights with nightshades 3 years ago, 3 or 4 coats I think, and they still look amazing great stuff.

Come to the dark side... We have cookies.
1988 Mercury Cougar Blue Max edition. Mustang headers, 2.5 inch H-pipe, flowmaster super 40's, ported E7's
My Cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/799588
post #3 of 118 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 03:21 PM

Just ordered me sum from SummitRacing.com, should get it around Weds. It cost w/shipping around $23. I thnk thats a little pricey for a can of "paint" but what are you guna do. Anyway ill post pics of before/after when im finished.
post #4 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 PM
5th Gear Poster

idk if this is a legit site, but i found night shade for $10.23.
http://www.trucknvans.com/VHT-Nite-Shades-p/sp999.htm
post #5 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 PM
5th Gear Poster

$10.95.... haha sorry, ...late...
post #6 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 01:50 PM
5th Gear Poster

bought the night shade from the site i listed above, comes through legit. havent tested it out yet though
post #7 of 118 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Poster

post #8 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:38 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Could you use something like paint thinner to soften the adhesive, specifically the corners? I don't own anything that would make that cut and would rather not slice up my future new corners.

Also, could you use nite shade on the inside of the corner lens ONLY behind the reflector deal, to darken that down?
post #9 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Raoul Duke

From what I recall, there is no thick adhesive on the corners that can be compromised with a solvent. I would imagine it's a very thin glue that practically welds the plastic seam and it might be extremely difficult to get any solvent in there to break the bond. As far as I could tell, a small cutting wheel (Dremel) was the only way to separate the lens from the housing.
In fact, I didn't cut directly at the joint in certain spots. You'll understand when you look at one up close.

You may be able to use Niteshades on the inside of the housing, but be aware that it shows all flaws. If you don't have a perfectly clean surface on that chrome coating, every defect will be obvious. I would suggest you avoid Niteshades for any of the front lights.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
post #10 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:46 PM
5th Gear Poster

i agree and i recall reading about people wanting to darken there headlights or corners that way and being shut down with a bunch of "bad idea"'s apparently it severely decreases the brightness of your lights, which makes sense because the chrome helps to reflect the light... but hey nothing beats doing it yourself and possibly failing and learning then by just reading about it... haha

also if your wondering why some people paint the inside of the headlight, they usually have HID headlights which always them to do it because the HIDs are actual projectors instead of just a bulb

MAC CAI/02 STANG MAF/SCT CHIP TUNED BY LONNIE
EIBACH 1.5 LOWERING SPRINGS- BILSTEIN GAS SHOCKS
90 SUPERCOUPE SIDE SKIRTS/REAR
18x9-FRONT: 245 REAR: 275
PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok
new tune for swapped parts (93 oct)

no longer the owner.... but its still my child its just released into the world....

Last edited by danalba; 06-17-2009 at 05:52 PM.
post #11 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:49 PM
5th Gear Poster

if your going to try it, do not paint the chrome, instead paint the outer perimeter of the front of the headlight, the plastic. first off you can remove it way easier if you mess it up, second it will give you a little different yet cool look, i think, may not be what your looking for though... ill try and find pictures of what i mean..

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

see how he just painted around the perimeter so the light can still project out.. but regardless itll dim it still or atleast cut down on the width range of his headlights

PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok

no longer the owner.... but its still my child its just released into the world....

Last edited by danalba; 06-17-2009 at 06:03 PM.
post #12 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Banned

please tell me how you got your covers so clear..... my are ugly, and I think may need replacement altogether.
post #13 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I'm not wanting to tint the whole lens, just right behind what is normally the amber corner. Just the prism reflector type portion. So I don't think it'd show flaws, not anymore than tail lights at least. Maybe I'll just do it on the outside.
post #14 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by danalba View Post
if your going to try it, do not paint the chrome, instead paint the outer perimeter of the front of the headlight, the plastic. first off you can remove it way easier if you mess it up
Painting the chrome on the inside of the housing won't effect light output as long as you don't paint the "diamond" portion. I did a side by side test when I did it to mine, there was no little difference.

Quote:
second it will give you a little different yet cool look
or ricey/****ty.

-Matt
post #15 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
if your going to try it, do not paint the chrome, instead paint the outer perimeter of the front of the headlight, the plastic. first off you can remove it way easier if you mess it up, second it will give you a little different yet cool look, i think, may not be what your looking for though... ill try and find pictures of what i mean..

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

see how he just painted around the perimeter so the light can still project out.. but regardless itll dim it still or atleast cut down on the width range of his headlights
That looks . I do not want to do that.
post #16 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 05:37 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

How are the lenses glued on before the process starts (from the factory)? What would be a good option to removing the lens on the corners without a cutting wheel/Dremel. I don't own one and don't think anyone I know does.
post #17 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
There isn't any other way, the lens is recessed into the housing with very strong glue between it. Even if you could find a chemical that would soften the glue without destroying the lens and housing in the process, the tight fit of the recessed area won't allow much solvent to make it to the glue.

FWIW I used a hack saw blade to carve out the housing on my first one, takes forever, but works.

-Matt
post #18 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 01:15 AM
5th Gear Poster

more if you wanted to see...

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

doesnt look like he even did the side corners.... something you might consider. way easier to skip the corners and just do the fronts, looks good i think

PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok

post #19 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 01:20 AM
5th Gear Poster

lol didnt see your other posts haha ya the prix i agree looks dumb haha but that guys bird i think it looks alright. and i was being optimistic to his ideas XR.

but thanks for the info on the chrome. i did not know that. i was told other wise i believe on here i thought but idk.

PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok

post #20 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:23 PM

Should i get the clear coat too or does it not even need it?
post #21 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I'd say you'd want a clear coat. If not, it will eventually wear off. Plus the clear will give a smoother glossy appearance.

EDIT: This is referring to the tails. I would say no clear on the headlights.

Last edited by sdavis872; 08-24-2009 at 08:52 AM.
post #22 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Poster

didn't read all the post but what is a good brand to buy?

Mike
post #23 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 08:23 PM
5th Gear Poster

i think it only comes in one brand...
this is where i bought it.. http://www.trucknvans.com/VHT-Nite-Shades-p/sp999.htm
worked fine for me

PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok

post #24 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Poster

ok thanks for the help

Mike
post #25 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 PM
6th Gear Poster

Here are Mine

Picture is a little dark:

United States Navy - Honorable Discharge

Nashville Predators - ENOUGH SAID!

See what we've been up to:
http://forums.tccoa.com/95-tennessee-chapter/
post #26 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:53 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
I just did this the other day! I'm considering clear coating but I haven't yet.

post #27 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:55 PM
6th Gear Poster

anybody try and tape off the reverse lights? just curious
post #28 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 09:36 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
IMO it wouldn't look good. Simply for the fact you have the red striped running through the white of the lens. Maybe taping in between the stripes wouldn't look too bad.
post #29 of 118 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Poster

I did mine about 3months ago. I taped the bird and cut the outline with a box cutter so the paint wouldnt touch it,

Photobucket

DMurph
post #30 of 118 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:39 AM
6th Gear Poster

How many cans do you think it would take to do 2-3 coats on all four tail lenses? I am still thinking of doing my headlights and corners too. They need to be sanded down to remove some yellowing anyway and I think it should make the surface clean enough to look good. I may hit them with a clear coat afterwards.

Oh and Murph, those look insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.