Rear Deck Recover in Black - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:24 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
i redid mine with black suede. Just glued the new stuff on top the old.

Lurking
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:31 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
This. I'm working on making a rear seat delete so it doesn't look finished in the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0273[1].jpg (1.46 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0266[1].jpg (1,011.3 KB, 0 views)

Lurking
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:41 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Bought a roll of the O'reilly carpet today, definitely a decent match. The factory black seatbelt covers are a hair lighter(Cougar package trays generally don't get UV damage like the Tbirds) but close enough. As said, texture is identical, it's a lot softer though(not a negative). I should have enough leftover to do the door bottoms as well

I was thinking the same about the door panel carpets. I found another set of covers that weren't as faded and are a better match. You can darken those up with the SEM spray. Didn't you explain once how to make the rear belts retract correctly? I thought I saw it somewhere before.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now on the road!!

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I'm just going to leave them, the camera flash highlights the difference more than there actually is. I intend to actually pull the old material off from the door panels when I do those, rather than glue over like the deck, since I'm SEM dying the panels themselves.

I'm not sure what you mean about the belts? I just threw in a set from a 93 and they worked without issue. The driver side front belt did have slow/incomplete retraction issues with, which is related to spring fatigue which I cranked some extra tension into, I imagine that would work on the rears as well but never had to do it. The spring is on one the side of mechanism inside anything from a black, blue or white/clear encasement, held to the assembly by 3 molded in tabs, so you just carefully and evenly, whilst keeping your other hand firmly pressed over it, pry up the case using a knife blade and flame blade screw drivers and once all tabs are released rotate it in the direction of tension a full turn, and then push it back down(I wouldn't do more than 2 full turns or it will bind at full extension). Additionally you could rotate the opposite direction, releasing tension - noting the number of turns - and remove the spring and disassemble the whole belt assembly from there, and throw the belt in the laundry. I've not tried that yet myself (the cleaning, not the disassembly) but the theory is all the oils and grime that accumulates on them actually slows down retraction as well.

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.