Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

2Likes
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

squeak, cheep, rattle, tap.. noises, noises and noises, oh my

As is common, the interior graphite color trim pieces (console, mid dash, etc.) are squeaking and driving me bonkers. If I recall correctly the last time I took a look in there, Ford had used some kind of thin felt material.

I set up a poll for best fix. TIA for playing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:57 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
There's probably a broken tab or two, making the problem worse. I find the felt like the factory uses the most effective, using it anywhere plastic touches other plastic, and one of my personal tricks is to wrap a piece of electrical tape or even duct tape over the tabs before you push them in.

Those pieces aren't all that make those noises, the console where the sides and back piece(with the rear ashtray and vents) meet is a very noisy area. I wrapped tape under the joins on mine and that solved 75% of the audible creaks I heard

I'm adementally against any sort of coating/putty/silicone/caulk.

-Matt
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:58 PM
PostWhore

Garage
You forgot the most useful answer of all...

Duct Tape!

Kidding of course.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
PI Swapped NPI motor with some port work on the heads, PI cams, 80mm MAF, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 03:09 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
You forgot the most useful answer of all...

Duct Tape!

Kidding of course.
I'm not. Since it's got a weave of cloth embedded its actually pretty effective at filling squeak causing gaps too thin for felt tape or foam. Since it's underneath the panels you'll never see it anyway, and it's removable and mess free unlike some of these solutions.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
and mess free unlike some of these solutions.
Every brand of duct (and "Duck") tape I've used has dried up with time and left residue that's a nightmare to remove. That is, in actual application; oddly, it seems to remain viable/stable for many years if left on the roll stuck to itself.
The adhesive turns crystalline, powdery, and loses its grip on the tape. I often find the tape just hanging off of objects, with complete loss of adhesion, but it sure doesn't lose adhesion to the object in question. It won't simply flake or brush off, either. It's almost as if it bakes on, even in moderate temperature applications, though it is worse in higher temps. It must bite into whatever object it's on, except for glass I guess. It takes forever to remove.

The only thing worse in my experience is double-sided foam tape, which is why I didn't include it in the poll, either.
The foam might be a good dampener, stuck one side only, but I'm not sure how long it would last. But upon removal, the foam typically tears because its adhesive is so dang stubborn/strong. I usually resort to using label adhesive remover (Chemtronics ES805) after having to scrape off the foam down to the adhesive layer, which is itself a pain. Can't use the chemicals on styrenes, and in those cases, removal takes forever and a day, pulling it off with masking tape. I think our panels are all made of ABS, though.

I agree about the tabs. A source of the noise is them rubbing against their sockets, so something needs to buffer them. What about instead of duct tape, some durable nylon cloth with 3M 77 or similar on one side? What about really thin leather pieces -- shouldn't they last a good while?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 05:15 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Like I said, duct tape I found works best in the tightest gaps. I do agree with your concerns about when it dries up, but the few areas I've used have been so for several years and I can still peel it off without nasty residue when I last revisited. Foam can get real nasty too when it gets old, which is why I prefer the felt strips above all.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

-Matt
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Looks like I should have added another poll item (not that it's a very active poll so far):

Apparently, US auto makers use this.

It's widely available -- can be had from Amazon and eBay.

Kinda pricey, but since it's what OEMs use, it may be the very best product for this application.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I was in Hobby Lobby yesterday and decided to try this and this, as they had no felt tape or uhmw products, and these sheets are cheap.

I got the soft version for areas I may need to wrap over/around, due to its much greater pliability. It'll work just as well on flat areas and it compresses easily, so I'm not sure I'll bother with the stiffer version (though it could be tougher and last longer ).
The more rigid version is ≈1.1mm thick and the soft version is ≈1.5mm thick.

They both apparently have identical adhesive, which seems pretty strong. I've only tested with a finger so far and will update with car results soon.
If it adheres well, time will tell how well it holds up in an automotive environment.

The local trim shop was clueless. They specialize in interior work, and have been in business for decades, yet they had never heard of anti-squeak/rattle tape.
Duct tape aside, people in the automotive interior/body business should still have at least heard of the stuff, even if they don't carry it.

edit:
The soft felt sticks very well to the plastic. I used it in a lot of spots on the center console snap-in (and receptacles in the base).
These squeaks are really stubborn; they seem to come from many spots on the same panel! None of my tabs were broken.

It's amazing the console was ever quiet at all, given that all the factory apparently used originally was a strip of velvet-like material where the front edge sits and a couple of small rubber pad inserts up front where the console panel meets the radio panel.

I think I pretty much have the snap-in console portion silent, but that just revealed noises in the radio panel area, which I'll take care of next.

It seems this craft felt is going to work, at least for a while.

Last edited by Torque; 01-25-2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: updated info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.