Interior Swap - TCCoA Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wile E. Coyote Jr.
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Interior Swap

Looking at swapping the awful red interior of a 95 Tbird with another 95 : is this an easy swap for the upper/top dash piece?
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:32 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmbird View Post
Looking at swapping the awful red interior of a 95 Tbird with another 95 : is this an easy swap for the upper/top dash piece?
Depends on how "easy" you consider dash removal.

It's not horrible, takes a few hours, and is putzy, but it's not really "hard".

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
If your car has a moonroof dealing with the sunshade color changeover is much more difficult than the dash color changeover. Changing over the dash from the frame is a bit more tedius on top of the dash pull but it's all just a matter of keeping track of the several retaining bolts and making damn sure everything like the ducting is in place, as some of it needs to come out to access the bolts.

-Matt
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Good to hear its not too difficult.
Will have to search the yards for a decent interior in black or grey.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Black wasn't offered in the 94-97 style interiors so if you want "neutral" grey is your only swap in option.

-Matt
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Black wasn't offered in the 94-97 style interiors so if you want "neutral" grey is your only swap in option.
How about the seats, are the SC 94-97 or XR7 better for comfort or support? I had a Taurus SHO previously and the leather seats were nice.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 05:00 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Its possible to dye the pieces you already have, I have seen a few F150 and mustang guys do it and thats what I did (havent done my door panels tho cause the ones I have are warped). Theres a vinyl/leather dye for our dash and doors but they also need a chemical to get the vinyl to accept it. You can get all of that off of LMR.
Woodman likes this.

Lurking
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
The SC seats are nicer if you can find them, but Cougar seats are a good upgrade from LX. The bolsters are essentially the same size but non-adjustable, have adjustable lumbar(94-95 only), are real leather even on the 50/50s, and patterns are the same as SC.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 05:21 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

If you don't like red I would just change it to tan.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:48 PM
PostWhore

Garage
As XR7 said, any year SC/XR7 seats are a direct bolt in. Worse comes to worse you can always swap your bases, the issue is the leather on most seats is in pretty bad shape these days. It costs around $600 for the vinyl covers from www.supercoupeperformance.com and real leather goes up from there.

I got VERY lucky that someone on facebook was selling some grey tweed SC seats, but I had to get help from another forum member to get them shipped as the guy would not under any circumstances take PayPal or ship them himself.

If you go to TBSC Shop - One stop for 1989 - 1997 Thunderbird and Cougar parts, he's a salvage yard that specializes in MN-12, and has a few options for seats. If his shipping prices are too high, I am about 2 hours away from him and I can ship from my work via UPS and generally can ship less than many other places.

And also as XR7 said, the SC/XR7 and 94-95 Cougar seats are nicer than the LX seats. The side bolsters are VERY nice, especially on the SC's as they are inflatable and great for holding you still in the corners (if you drive like I do that is).

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.