How do you reset Odometer? - TCCoA Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Glenn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

How do you reset Odometer?

OK - I got my new speedometer and have removed the needle easily and replaced the gears and reassembled the speedometer. Now how do I change the odometer reading from 173,000 miles to 121,000 miles? Anyone have a detailed method they can share with me with pictures?

I could not do the move shaft method - see below.

Note the small star wheels on the steel shaft across the top of the odometer. Using a small pair of diagonal cutters, grasp the steel shaft inside of the plastic body above the leftmost odometer digit and carefully push it to the right. It is a press-fit in the case and fairly tight so a bit of force is needed. Move the shaft only far enough for it to clear the left case side, so that the shaft and star wheels can be lifted clear of the odometer number wheels.

I am thinking of cutting off the top gear shaft on the replacement odometer (gears that move the miles indicators) and rotating the gears to indicate the correct mileage. Then cutting the plastic ear off (side of the case) where the gear shaft out of my original odometer is positioned. Then making a small cut in the plastic supporting ear (new used case) where the gear shaft is held in place with my Dremel and slipping the gear shaft though the small cut and gluing it shut.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

1996 TB LX, 4.6, 120,000 miles, black with tan interior.
Dark tint and OEM "Sport" spoiler.

Last edited by Glenn; 03-02-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Cutting anything is a terrible terrible idea, the pin holding the grey gears WILL push out, that's all you should be doing.

If you have a replacement odometer you can just swap the whole carrier between from the new one to the replacement.

-Matt
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Cutting anything is a terrible terrible idea, the pin holding the grey gears WILL push out, that's all you should be doing.

If you have a replacement odometer you can just swap the whole carrier between from the new one to the replacement.
OK - I continued to attempt to remove the odometer shaft with the small gears and finally got the hang of it. I have removed and reset the mileage gears for over a hour and finally got the correct mileage. This is not an easy thing to do. Speedometer shops charge anywhere from $175 to $250 for this work.

Glenn
CDsDontBurn likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I just swapped the odometer from the old speedo onto the new one. Is that possible in a pre-97?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 230k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
I just swapped the odometer from the old speedometer onto the new one. Is that possible in a pre-97?
I'm learning quite a bit about these speedometers Yes, it is possible to just switch the odometers between speedometers. Once the meter is taken apart, there are only 4 plastic tabs that just have to be released to separate the odometer from the meter movement (motor). I could have saved myself a great deal of work by doing this first. NO need to adjust the odometer if you have your original odometer with your original miles, but have a broken needle shaft like I did. You can just switch the odometers from one speedometer to another.

http://www.supercoupeperformance.com...peedo-pic6.jpg

See the two clips in the top half of the plastic housing in the above photo.

I have the speedometer back in the TB - now I have to see how accurate it is tomorrow.

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn; 03-03-2017 at 05:50 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 08:35 AM
4th Gear Poster

If memory serves, I had to use the single miles wheel (or was it the 10th's wheel?) to roll mine forward. As I recall, it was time consuming but easily done.

Do the wheels catch on one-way tabs that make rolling backward more difficult? It's been 4 years and I don't remember.

I rolled mine forward ≈ 9k miles so it would more accurately reflect the true mileage of the vehicle. I drive my Birdy ≈ 4.5k miles/year & my odometer went unrepaired for a couple of years.

As a habit, I write the date and mileage on all parts receipts on installation. It can also help having proper mileage for state inspection (no looks of suspicion as if I'm trying to cheat).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post
If memory serves, I had to use the single miles wheel (or was it the 10th's wheel?) to roll mine forward. As I recall, it was time consuming but easily done.

Do the wheels catch on one-way tabs that make rolling backward more difficult? It's been 4 years and I don't remember.

I rolled mine forward ≈ 9k miles so it would more accurately reflect the true mileage of the vehicle. I drive my Birdy ≈ 4.5k miles/year & my odometer went unrepaired for a couple of years.

As a habit, I write the date and mileage on all parts receipts on installation. It can also help having proper mileage for state inspection (no looks of suspicion as if I'm trying to cheat).
You can roll the 10ths mileage wheel back either direction. But, for any significant miles it will take some time.

Well, I installed my speedometer and drove it today and it seem to work fine. I now have to get on the highway and measure it at a mile at 60 mph to actually see just how accurate it is. Not a totally easy repair job, but worth it rather then pay a speedometer shop $200 - $250 to do the job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.