Driver seat cushion core replacement ? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Driver seat cushion core replacement ?

My 91 is pretty well clean for the year but want to possibly re- core the drivers seat bottom it s obviously lost its firmness over the past 27 yrs anyone know where i can find a seat bottom core for a 91 sport or is this always going to be a custom upholstery shop fix?
All the upholstery itself is 9/10 shape "Kentucky car garage kept " and owned by a older man since 91.

My other question is i could choose a seat swap anyone do a front seat swap out to a modern day seat from any specific vehicles that fit well ? If so what brand did you go with that still has a comfortable fit for a daily driver? "No racing style wanted " .
Posted my interior / seating showing its pretty much like new from what I gather passenger/ and back seat never been used much aside from the driver seat which is why it may be cheaper to re- core the driver seat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14974824611161527136718_1497482482670.jpg (691.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 14974825973931256445218_1497482614651.jpg (3.13 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170614_193353744_1497483312611.jpg (4.11 MB, 5 views)
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:44 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
I'm surprised your seatback sides aren't ripped. Mine are at the outer edges where they rub against the side hinge.

I've taken my seats out a few times. You can undo the 4 bolts holding it to the sliding frame and the entire seat comes out. Then undo one bolt on the out edge and the seatback comes off. One option would be to take that seat bottom to an upholstery place to see if they can put in new, more modern foam... Then they could just put the original cloth back over it...

I'd wondered about other seats too. I'm assuming any of the MN12 year cars will fit (Mark VII, Cougar, T-Bird)... but I've not verified that.

I'd love some dark grey tweed SC seats...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:37 PM
̇

Garage
You could probably save yourself a few bucks by removing the seat..
Then separating the top and bottom of the seat..

Then all you would have to do is take the bottom section to an upholstery shop, to have them add some new foam to it..
You might even be able to do it yourself with a little experimenting..lol

These cars are getting old, so it's going to be harder finding seat bottom foam that isn't as "squished" as what you already have..

Members part cars out here from time to time though..Maybe someone has a good core that isn't worn out..

Post a thread in the Wanted section of the forum..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.