High Output Alternator Upgrade for Cheap - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I have been considering this swap. Its a turn off to me that the batt light would no longer function, but what kind of voltages are you running after the car warms up? Is it necessary to turn up the PWM controller to make the voltage sit where you want it when the car is warmed up? I know mine drops off considerably(only runs low 12v) when its warmed up all the way. You are also up north though in a cooler climate.
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts 14.56@90.54MPH
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Inject tech chip, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with Tru-X core, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 08:01 PM
2nd Gear Poster

a handful of 1990's ford vehicles don't have an alternator warning light at all. instead, there is a ~500ohm resistor feeding the regulator i-line for the initial rotor excitation voltage.

if you are looking for an alternator monitoring system, you could add a voltage guage to your car. this would be a whole lot more useful than a red warning lightbulb. but if you're dead-set on having a warning light, i suppose you could build an electronics circuit to illuminate a bulb when the battery voltage dropped below a certain set point (i.e. 13.0 Volts).

after the car warms up, the alternator voltage is still fully variable and can get close to 15V. electrical resistance does increase with heat, and the small 10 guage wiring i've seen on some alternator charge circuits might be a limiting factor. the factory police interceptor wiring is either a 2AWG or 4AWG wire. the engine block & car body grounds are also rather thick.

another thing you might look at is your engine idle speed. if you're not spinning the alternator fast enough, output will really suffer. ford sets idle speed really low in many passenger cars to meet their corporate average fuel economy (cafe)rating goals and reduce engine noise. but fleet cars like the police interceptor are cafe exempt and have less restrictive nvh (noise vibration harhness) goals so generally they have higher engine idle speeds for better charging, improved air conditioning performance at idle, and increased engine oil pressure.

btw: how did your post today get into the #1 position in this discussion thread? new posts are usually put in the last position.

edit: just noticed that my new post is in the #2 position in this thread as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I have been considering this swap. Its a turn off to me that the batt light would no longer function, but what kind of voltages are you running after the car warms up? Is it necessary to turn up the PWM controller to make the voltage sit where you want it when the car is warmed up? I know mine drops off considerably(only runs low 12v) when its warmed up all the way. You are also up north though in a cooler climate.

Visit my website:

http://www.p71interceptor.com
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear Poster

here's a special service message from ford about the idle speed strategy in the 2003-2004 police interceptors:

17611 2003-2004 CROWN VICTORIA POLICE INTERCEPTOR - LOW CHARGING SYSTEM VOLTAGE AFTER EXTENDED IDLE
SOME 2003-2004 CROWN VICTORIA POLICE INTERCEPTOR VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT LOW CHARGING SYSTEM VOLTAGE AND/OR A DEAD BATTERY AFTER PROLONGED IDLE WITH ACCESSORIES ON. TO SERVICE, REPROGRAM THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) TO THE LATEST CALIBRATION LEVEL USING WDS RELEASE B29.9 OR HIGHER. THE NEW CALIBRATION RAISES THE BASE DRIVE IDLE FROM 544 TO 600 RPM, NEUTRAL IDLE REMAINS AT 800 RPM. THE NEW CALIBRATION ALSO DETECTS WHEN THE BATTERY VOLTAGE DROPS BELOW 11.8 VOLTS DURING AN EXTENDED IDLE AND WILL RAMP THE IDLE SPEED UP TO MAINTAIN BATTERY CHARGE. IN NEUTRAL THE IDLE SPEED WILL SLOWLY RAMP UP TO 1100 RPM. IN DRIVE THE IDLE SPEED WILL SLOWLY RAMP UP TO 800 RPM. THE IDLE SPEED WILL RETURN TO THE BASE VALUES (600 IN DRIVE, 800 IN NEUTRAL) WHEN THE BATTERY VOLTAGE RETURNS TO 12.5 VOLTS OR HIGHER.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 03/09/2004

in the earlier pre-2003 police cruisers, neutral idle speed generally seems to be somewhere in the 800RPM-1000RPM range depending on model year. the alternator does not directly communicate with the pcm in earlier cars, so the idle speed is fixed and does not ramp up like in the later 2003+ cars.

you've got a trade off with the in-gear idle speed, you get better charging the higher you go. but if you go too high, the car will lurch forward too much when it's in gear and you let off the brake pedal.

edit: noticed something else odd about this thread. i can access the thread by manually supplying the thread # to showthread.php and the thread will also display with the search function. but it's not showing up in the main page of the "TCCoA Forums > Car Related > Audio / Electronics" subforum.

Visit my website:

Last edited by 2vmodular; 01-01-2002 at 08:22 PM.
post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:34 PM
2nd Gear Poster

High Output Alternator Upgrade for Cheap

The recent ford crown victoria police interceptors have a high output alternator conservatively rated at 200amps. This is a really powerful alternator that will actually output close to 250amps under ideal conditions. The alternator also a one-way overrunning clutch on it to eliminate belt chirp during hard acceleration transmission shifts and lower load on the intake manifold crossover where the upper alternator bracket mounts.

Wrecked police cars are common at the salvage yards and parts are not usually terribly expensive to purchase from them either. Since ford thunderbirds have 4.6L engines like the ford crownvic, you can likely adapt one of these alternators to fit in your car. I figured out how to get the alternator to work as a standalone unit without a crownvic powertrain control module present. However, you will still need to figure out something for the top mounting bracket and a higher guage alternator output wire.

An alternator from a wrecked 2009 crown victoria police interceptor

The alternator mounted to a late 1990's crownvic engine. All the ford 4.6L engines have the two lower alternator mounting stud holes in the same location.

For temporary testing purposes, i just enlarged the alternator charging post hole in the ring terminal lug with an electric drill.

Here's my circuit to get the alternator voltage regulator to powerup the field coil and set the alternator voltage setpoint somewhere in the 14V-15V range. This is an off the shelf mx066 motor speed pwm controller avaliable from bakatronics for around $25.

a graph of generator rotation speed vs output amperage

more documentation on this project is avaliable here:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/altern...ubishi/upgrade

Visit my website:

post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
not bad if you can score one of those alternators for cheap
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 10:27 AM
5th Gear Poster

This is very interesting. So without getting too technical, could I swap over to a 6G alt that's PCM controlled and then wire up one of those controllers so that I can set my own voltage?

I seem to be plagued with low voltage and want to bump it to 14.6 or so. Is Anyone Getting 14volts or higher?

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-29-2010 at 10:13 PM.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 12:33 PM
4th Gear Poster

So does this seem like a worthwhile effort to anyone?

I priced one of these babies out at my local yard and they want $70 for it with a 30 day warranty.

-Brice-
1996 Thunderbird Sport 4.6L SOHC
85,300 miles

MODS:
Really rockin' stereo
Go-Parts
- Screamin' Demon packs - Livewire plug wires - Magnaflow resonated X pipe
PBR front brake conversion - 245/45-18 BFG KDWs - K&N hot air intake
H&R Sport Springs - Tokico Blues (F) - Bilstein Cobra Verts (R) - A/C Delete
Sights - New paint w/ black accents - 18x8 ASA JH9s - Painted calipers - Custom trunk layout
Sounds - JL Audio ZR525-CSi (F&R) - JL Audio 8W7-3 (2) - JL Audio HD900/5
Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT - AudioControl Matrix - ALL JL Wiring

The Daily Duties Handled By 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5-Speed
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post
This is very interesting. So without getting too technical, could I swap over to a 6G alt that's PCM controlled and then wire up one of those controllers so that I can set my own voltage?

I seem to be plagued with low voltage and want to bump it to 14.6 or so. Is Anyone Getting 14volts or higher?
Me too! I am having similar problems. I am going to be doing this soon. I was curious about the battery light function. Does it still work? Will the controller set an output when voltage is too low? Thanks
-Rob

-Rob
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Inject tech chip, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with Tru-X core, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 07:08 PM
5th Gear Poster

The dash light should still work, but a digital gauge would be best.
I think I'm wrong here since the regulators on this model don't have a dash light wire. Instead, the PCM would light up the dash indicator if there were a problem.

The controller sets the voltage period. With no controller it should output at it's default 13.2v, but with a pwm signal you can raise it up to 15v.

$70 is pretty decent compared to an aftermarket 200 amp alternator.

I've learned that the 4G alts also have a PCM controlled regulator available as well.

Also, the big police unit pictured in post one is built by Mitsubishi. Their over $500 new.

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-10-2010 at 06:00 AM.
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 03:01 AM
5th Gear Poster

2vmodular, have you had any issues running your alt with the mx066?

Do you think it would be fine to set it to 14.8 all the time?

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-10-2010 at 03:12 AM.
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Also, the big police unit pictured in post one is built by Mitsubishi. Their over $500 new.
The nice thing about the 2004+ CrownVic Mitsubishi alternator is that it was factory installed in mass produced production vehicles. so finding one a "pre-owned" one in a wrecked car shouldn't be very difficult.

those aftermarket high output generators were produced in really limited numbers and seem unobtainable if you're looking for a used one. by contrast, ford produced over 100,000 CrownVic police interceptors between 2004 and 2010.

That Mistubishi alternator was also engineered from the ground up to be a high output unit. here's a link to an article about why the aftermarket high output alternator conversions sometimes fail:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/altern...ighampfail.pdf

Quote:
I was curious about the battery light function. Does it still work? Will the controller set an output when voltage is too low? Thanks
-Rob
no, the mitsu alternator does not support the charge light indicator on the instrument cluster.

having a non-functional charge light on my crownvic isn't much of a concern since the car has a true voltage guage on the instrument cluster. maybe you could add an aftermarket voltage guage to your car.

Visit my website:

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 09-17-2014 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Merge posts
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:30 AM
5th Gear Poster

Another question for you.

If someone wanted the larger output from this alternator, but didn't want to fool with the PWM signal, could they simply swap in a grey F600 regulator?
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:39 AM
2nd Gear Poster

yes, the mitsubishi alternator is controlled with the same electrical signals as the 6G alternator in the 2003+ crownvics. there were also 4G alternators avaliable in these cars that are controlled the same way too. i have not seen any pcm controlled 3G units though.

do be aware that there are some alternators avaliable in ford vehicles that have a fixed voltage setpoint and only communicate with the pcm to send field response data to it. these alternators were never used in the crownvic, but were avaliable in some other ford vehicles.

Quote:

Visit my website:

Last edited by 2vmodular; 06-10-2010 at 05:59 AM.
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:50 AM
2nd Gear Poster

that F600 regulator is for ford 6g alternators only. it will not physically fit inside one of those high output mitsubishi alternators.

and yes, you can swap regulators between 6g alternators. these are held in with 3 bolts once you get the back cover off.

Quote:
Another question for you.

If someone wanted the larger output from this alternator, but didn't want to fool with the PWM signal, could they simply swap in a grey F600 regulator?
here are a couple pictures of 6g crownvic alternators. one has a pcm controlled regulator, the other a conventional i-line regulator with a fixed voltage setpoint.

the back covers removed

the regulators out

the regulators. white=pcm regulation with variable voltage setpoint. grey=i-line with fixed voltage setpoint. you need a torx 20 bit to remove these.

one thing to keep in mind when disassembling/reassembling the 6g alternators is that the sre bearing often stays stuck to the rotor when you remove the back cover. so you'll want to have a new tolerance ring on hand, because you'll likely break yours when you remove the back cover.

Visit my website:

post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:58 AM
5th Gear Poster

Ah, so this Mitsubishi alt has Ford style "sadle" mounts to bolt onto the 4.6 and uses the same regulator plug as the 6G alt, but that's where the similarities end?

I've looked through a ton of the papers you've collected, but I can't find much info on this alternator or what parts are available for it.
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:08 AM
5th Gear Poster

Here is a pic of the Mit regulator. It looks a lot like the 6G regulator. Eh, maybe not.

Holy crap, the rectifier in this uses 16 50 amp diodes. That twice what the 3G, 4G and 6G use.

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-10-2010 at 06:16 AM.
post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:09 AM
2nd Gear Poster

yep, you've got it figured out.

Quote:
Ah, so this Mitsubishi alt has Ford style "sadle" mounts to bolt onto the 4.6 and uses the same regulator plug as the 6G alt, but that's where the similarities end?
ford does not service internal alternator parts individually, so their service manuals do not have any alternator overhaul procedures in them and your local ford dealer can't sell you internal stuff like a regulator, a bearing, etc. but, you can purchase a whole complete working alternator from them.

however, there are aftermarket electrical rebuilders that do service the internal parts in alternators. one big one is WAI Wetherill on the web at http://www.wai-wetherill.com

their part # for the big crownvic mitsu alternator is 1-2514-11MI-1. Here's a link to the bill of materials for it:

http://search.waiglobal.com/partnum....=1-2514-11MI-1

http://search.waiglobal.com/bomsearc...=1-2514-11MI-1

Quote:
I've looked through a ton of the papers you've collected, but I can't find much info on this alternator or what parts are available for it.

Visit my website:

post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:17 AM
2nd Gear Poster

that mitsu regulator might look similar to the ford 6g one at a quick glance, but they're not similar enough to swap between the two different alternator models.

one thing i had considered was pulling that big heatsink off the mitsu alternator regulator and hacking up the circuit board inside to send the rotor field control signals out the regulator plug. this would allow you to run an external regulator on the alternator like on the 1970's cars and not need that pwm box to simulate the pcm signal. this solution looked like more trouble than it was worth in terms of long term reliability though.

Quote:
Here is a pic of the Mit regulator. It looks a lot like the 6G regulator. Eh, .maybe not

Visit my website:

post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:02 PM
4th Gear Poster

Ok well I'm thinking about giving this a shot on my 96. Since it seems like I can get the alt itself for 70 and the PWM for around 30 I don't feel I'd be putting too much into this. So here's my questions. Has anyone does this or anything like it to their Bird yet? And exactly what wires do I need to splice for the regulator harness? I don't have any wiring schematics or I'd attempt to figure it out myself.

-Brice-
85,300 miles

MODS:
Really rockin' stereo
Go-Parts
Sights - New paint w/ black accents - 18x8 ASA JH9s - Painted calipers - Custom trunk layout

post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

I picked up my alt from a '10 Crown Vic a couple of weeks ago for $85. Now I need to get the controller! This guy also has all of the schematics in the link he posted.

http://www.p71interceptor.com/altern...ubishi/upgrade

although, I am having problems getting it to work now. (The link, that is)

I need to know if I need any of the extras that go along with it on the bakatronics site. I am thinking about getting the cooling fan and enclosure box to help protect it. Is the fan really necessary?

http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=581

-Rob

Last edited by Rob; 09-14-2011 at 10:43 PM.
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 05:23 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

I think the clock is reset to 2002 again...

This only took weeks to fix last time, lol.

EDIT:Nope, I'm wrong.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Does anyone know why p71interceptor.com isnt working? That was a good write-up on this alternator swap and install. I wanted to make sure I get all of the right components before I hook it up for the first time. I tried PMing 2vmodular, but I havent gotten a response yet.

-Rob
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Been down for a while now. I hope they get it back up and going.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 02:16 AM
4th Gear Poster

I just gave a slight effort in seeing if Google might have a cache of the page. I had no such luck.

-Brice-
85,300 miles

MODS:
Really rockin' stereo
Go-Parts

post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
So....anyone done this? I tried to get a quote from Nations Starter & Alternator,but they never got back to me dammit. Lol.
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

I am still holding off on ordering the controller. I have the pretty alternator sitting in the office at the shop though... for motivation I think getting the box is a good idea, but what about the cooling fan? Is it necessary? I am probably going to mount the controller inside the car somewhere so I can change the duty cycle if I want to.

EDIT: I also want to get the wiring diagrams from 2vmodular, but I am sure it wouldnt be too hard to figure out. I cant remember if anything extra is needed besides the controller and the pigtail for the newer alternator (I have a used one laying around...I think).

-Rob
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 AM
6th Gear Poster

FYI, Wayback has the writeup text but the "image server is down"
- I wouldnt count on it ever being back up and google didnt crawl the images, either

http://web.archive.org/web/201007240...bishi/upgrade/

I saved the article text and picture links to desktop just for drill but I have no use for the mod.. at this time, anyway

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am still holding off on ordering the controller. I have the pretty alternator sitting in the office at the shop though... for motivation I think getting the box is a good idea, but what about the cooling fan? Is it necessary? I am probably going to mount the controller inside the car somewhere so I can change the duty cycle if I want to.

EDIT: I also want to get the wiring diagrams from 2vmodular, but I am sure it wouldnt be too hard to figure out. I cant remember if anything extra is needed besides the controller and the pigtail for the newer alternator (I have a used one laying around...I think).
I would get the cooling fan to be on the safe side. Git r dun already! I wanna try it after you do, lol.

Anyone have any good jy's near them? Need to see what kind of price I can find for the alt. If I dont do this mod, I'll likely get a HO alt from american armature.
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

There is one of these at my local pick N pull in the cop car still. I think it's like an 08 or so. I havent priced it and my cousin cant use it on his Mark, since I dont think the alternator will clear the crossover tube. I just called them and they want right at $50 for it. I paid $85 for mine!!! I could go pick it up for someone soon if they wanted.

-Rob
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Kind of slapped together

GM - You need to come up my way, we've got *quick counts* at least 10 U-Pull-It with reasonable rates, and a couple more with unreasonably high rates, within 100 mile radius of my house.

RwP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.