SPEEDOMETER CALIBRATION GUIDE FOR T-45s and TR-3650s - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
SPEEDOMETER CALIBRATION GUIDE FOR T-45s and TR-3650s

Well guys it took a lot of searching but I've finally found a solution to all the Speedometer Calibration issues, this is more directly aimed at those who swapped in a newer 5 speed manual into their car and can't get the Magnetic reluctor wheel setup to work, however if you have an Automatic it is also beneficial. Originally our cars use the VSS gear driven assembly. With the newer transmission installed you are still using a gear, but it is not directly driven, it is using a reading based off the reluctor wheel. The issue here is our stock output shaft on the 4R70W has 7 drive teeth on it as compared to the newer transmissions and our newer 5 speeds are using the 12 tooth reluctor wheel. What this does is make our speedometers peg out to the speed limiter in 2nd gear!

Here is a further explaination : http://www.accutach.com/Pages/VSSvsOSSSwaps.aspx

The basic idea of this is that we are getting readings off a 12 tooth reluctor wheel vs a 7 tooth drive wheel. This increases our Pulses Per Mile SIGNIFICANTLY!

Here is how to get this fixed. It IS possible to convert your VSS to read the OSS signal WITHOUT a PCM module from the newer mustangs. So how do I calculate this? Well, you just have to plug in your old Pulses Per Mile based off your original driveline configuration, then calculate the Pulses Per Mile (PPM) for your new driveline configuration. Both of these can be calculated by these websites and formulas:

TIRE Rotations Per Mile (Variable#1 for the VSS PPM Calculation)
NOTE: I used this website because it tries to compensate for the weight of the vehicle on the tires to calculate the RPM instead of unmounted RPM which is significant for calculating the VSS PPM.
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

Formula 1: VSS PPM:
http://www.accutach.com/Pages/FordVSSCalculator.aspx

Formula 2: OSS PPM:
OSS Signal Rate = Tire Revs/Mile * Axle Ratio * OSS Reluctor Wheel Tooth Count

As you can see these two PPM's are DRASTICALLY different! Now that you've figured out your starting PPM and your final PPM you can determine the dipswitch settings for your EXTENDED RANGE DALLAS MUSTANG SPEEDCAL by plugging your results into the calculator on this website:

http://www.accutach.com/Pages/Recali...alculator.aspx

If you've done everything right your speedometer should be fairly accurate, if it's off by a bit you need to go back and check over your calculations and see if there is a variable you need to adjust.

I have verified this on my own personal setup and it works perfectly!

Here is an example of how I calculated my code:
My original drivetrain was setup like this
-P215/70R15 Indy 500 tires (774.6 RPM)
-1995 Stock 4R70W (7 tooth drive gear)
- 3.08 Rear Differential
-Green 17 tooth driven VSS gear

This gave me a total PPM of 7859.000, the speedometer is expecting 8,000 PPM which is a 2% error. To correct it just set your original PPM to 8,000 and plug it into the dip switch setting calculator above.

My final drivetrain is setup like this:
- 245/45R17 Dunlop Direzza DZ101 Tires (809.9 RPM)
-2008 Shelby GT TR-3650 (12 tooth reluctor wheel [Magnetic])
-3.08 Rear Differential

This gave me a total PPM of 29933.904

After plugging this into the calculator I got a dipswitch setting of : 0111011111

That dipswitch setting will eliminate the 2% error I had from the factory, and also will adjust the speedometer to work with all the modifications in my drivetrain.

NOTE: THIS WILL ONLY WORK WITH AN EXTENDED RANGE SPEEDCAL!!!

I drive an endangered species...they are being crushed at an alarming rate. Please do your part to preserve the Cougar species, and ensure they live on into the future.

1995 Mercury Cougar XR-7 4.6L 2V 5 Speed
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Collector's Edition Car#94
2009 BMW 535i M Sport Package

Last edited by Black_Cat; 06-28-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Updated Content
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 08:21 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to mechman1984
I checked it out and it didn't work for me. I am going to go over my numbers though. Really good info though. This defiantly helps a lot.

2006 and still counting since I bought my speedcal from Dallas Mustang. Waiting on Justin's email any day now.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman1984 View Post
I checked it out and it didn't work for me. I am going to go over my numbers though. Really good info though. This defiantly helps a lot.

2006 and still counting since I bought my speedcal from Dallas Mustang. Waiting on Justin's email any day now.

Will
My unit didn't move at all, called DM and they said chances are it's a faulty unit, because I have power to the box and to the wires, but the red LED wasn't pulsing when I drive. They are sending me a brand new one free of charge. Glad it helped a bit, I didn't expect it to work perfectly for everyone, but at least it kind of puts things in perspective on what signals are coming from the OSS sensor.

I drive an endangered species...they are being crushed at an alarming rate. Please do your part to preserve the Cougar species, and ensure they live on into the future.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 07:55 PM
5th Gear Poster

Ian
I am talking to Mark at Accutach to try and problem solve the speedo issue. Hopefully with all of us working on it we can get something that works. I tried a couple of more calibration codes he gave me but no luck so far. I will keep you updated on my progress. Thanks.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Ian
I am talking to Mark at Accutach to try and problem solve the speedo issue. Hopefully with all of us working on it we can get something that works. I tried a couple of more calibration codes he gave me but no luck so far. I will keep you updated on my progress. Thanks.

Will
Sweet, sounds good. I figured this article would make a great start to a Sticky for us 5 speed guys. Maybe this should be moved to Drivetrain Hopefully between the 3 or 4 of us we can get it situated!

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Kind of slapped together

I have a silly question.

If you've removed ABS, or never had it, any big reason why you can't use a SPEEDCAL and take the tone ring / sensor for ABS and use that for a VSS?

Frequency would be wrong, I bet - but then the ONLY variable would be tire diameter. That and the base error.

Hmm ... THAT might not be too bad. If we're REALLY lucky, it'll be something like 16,000 pulses per mile - which is a /2 to feed the electronics! Easy peasy with a flip flop.

RwP
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 07:00 PM
5th Gear Poster

Just an update I tried a few more codes and it appears the tbird speedo is expecting about 2000 ppm. Based on my conversation with Mark it appears that this might be out of the range of the speedcal. I intend to keep working on this so there may be a fix yet.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
As for the ABS thing, I'm not sure, but that could possibly work if it proves to be in range of the speedcal. My brand new Extended Range speedcal just arrived today, I'll be putting it in tomorrow hopefully. Will, I think between all of us 5 speed people we should be able to figure something out...after all this is just a giant math problem, and an electrical adjustment.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
AWESOME news, I got my new speedcal unit installed and....IT WORKS the code I generated above worked perfectly with my TR-3650 and It's accurate as can be! It was nice to drive the car around without needing my GPS.

When you drive down the road with the speedcal hooked up your red LED inside the speedcal on the circuitboard should light up. If it doesn't you have an electrical gremlin to hunt down and need to check wiring. If your wiring is good then the UNIT is faulty and you need to call DM for a free replacement. Drive around with dip switches 1 and 4 in the ON position, and you should get SOMETHING for a speedo reading, from there you just need to calculate your exact dip switch settings. Mine works perfect.

Last edited by Black_Cat; 11-20-2011 at 06:36 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Glad you got it worked out! That's great news. Now, did your replacement speedcal look EXACTLY like the faulty one you sent back? Since mechman1984 mentioned the out-of-range thing.

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
Glad you got it worked out! That's great news. Now, did your replacement speedcal look EXACTLY like the faulty one you sent back? Since mechman1984 mentioned the out-of-range thing.
Yeah I'm pretty exstatic! The replacement one did look EXACTLY like the faulty one. To be honest, I think it was an error in the wiring, but you should get about 6 volts to each prong that goes into the VSS shell that connects to the transmission. When I did the new speedcal I put a brand new VSS connector shell in too because the contact-lock on the other one broke so the speedcal wasn't getting any readings.

Last edited by Black_Cat; 12-07-2011 at 01:28 PM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 09:29 PM
5th Gear Poster

Ian
Can you post a picture of your unit (the circuit board and switches). I have been trying to get mine to work with no luck.

When you referred to switches 1 and 4 as up is that on the main bank of switches or the secondary bank? I am very interested I have been trying a lot of codes and haven't got one that worked yet.

Thanks.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Alright there is a small bank of switches up top (Red switches) NEVER TOUCH THOSE. The lower ones (white ones 8 of them) are the ones you can touch. I'll try to get some pics later when I permatex the hole where the wires go down. Also I recommend checking for voltage at the wires in the VSS connector shell. You should get ~ 6V on each side, if not something is wrong.

Last edited by Black_Cat; 11-21-2011 at 04:49 PM.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:03 PM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
Simply put the DM Extended range speed has a "wider range" of pickup...i wonder what i would get if i put in the code you provided with the NON extended range DM speed cal i have...

I need to figure out my speedo as soon as i get the car back together and send it to the tuner...

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Lifted
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 10:26 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymance View Post
Simply put the DM Extended range speed has a "wider range" of pickup...i wonder what i would get if i put in the code you provided with the NON extended range DM speed cal i have...

I need to figure out my speedo as soon as i get the car back together and send it to the tuner...
Smoky
You would get exactly what i get, about double the speed. Unfortunately the ER is the only way to go. DM sent me the standard by mistake and they wont make right and send me the ER I ordered so i am out of luck. Hopefully I can figure something out with the standard range and a very basic circuit.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 01:51 PM
MaleWhore

Thats no good....i need to replace my normal speedcal and get the extended then...and hope they get my order right

2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Lifted
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:09 AM

Hey guys, This is Mark Olson from Accutach. I decided to join TCCoA so I can post a little bit more information for you.

Black Cat got the process almost 100% right, but made it a little more complicated than he needed to. I probably need to make my web site a little clearer.

It turns out that Ford's VSS systems were always close to accurate, but not 100% accurate. When Black Cat calculated his former VSS actual Pulses Per Mile, he actually calculated what the VSS was delivering, 7859 PPM, vs the 8000 that the PCM and speedometer expects. That means that his original speedometer setup was off by about 2%. (Thank you guys for figuring out that T-bird clusters expect 8000 PPM, BTW.)

When he figured the scaling factor based on his original setting, he actually transferred the original 2% error to his new setup.

In order to get rid of that 2% error, all you need to do is put the current OSS pulses per mile (29933.904 in his case) into the speedcal calculator, but you leave the stock VSS PPM at 8000.

That gives you an ER Speedcal setting of 0111011111.

It is really only a 2% difference, and no big deal. But for future reference it won't be necessary to calculate your original setup PPM.

I am glad that you are able to use my calculators to get your cars set up properly after a VSS to OSS swap. They can also help with those with VSS transmissions who are changing axle ratios and/or tire sizes and want accurate Speedcal settings.

Last edited by markolson; 12-14-2011 at 08:16 PM.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by markolson View Post
Hey guys, This is Mark Olson from Accutach. I decided to join TCCoA so I can post a little bit more information for you.

Black Cat got the process almost 100% right, but made it a little more complicated than he needed to. I probably need to make my web site a little clearer.

It turns out that Ford's VSS systems were always close to accurate, but not 100% accurate. When Clack Cat calculated his former VSS actual Pulses Per Mile, he actually calculated what the VSS was delivering, 7859 PPM, vs the 8000 that the PCM and speedometer expects. That means that his original speedometer setup was off by about 2%. (Thank you guys for figuring out that T-bird clusters expect 8000 PPM, BTW.)

When he figured the scaling factor based on his original setting, he actually transferred the original 2% error to his new setup.

In order to get rid of that 2% error, all you need to do is put the current OSS pulses per mile (29933.904 in his case) into the speedcal calculator, but you leave the stock VSS PPM at 8000.

That gives you an ER Speedcal setting of 0111011111.

It is really only a 2% difference, and no big deal. But for future reference it won't be necessary to calculate your original setup PPM.

I am glad that you are able to use my calculators to get your cars set up properly after a VSS to OSS swap. They can also help with those with VSS transmissions who are changing axle ratios and/or tire sizes and want accurate Speedcal settings.
No, THANK YOU! Seriously, if it wasn't for your calculators and your OSS / VSS article providing the inspiration, it would have taken a lot longer to get everything all setup. I knew the hardware would work and that this was all one large math problem. I think I'll take that new setting you generated and go give it a shot and match it to my GPS and see if my 1-2mph difference goes away!

EDIT: Put in that new code adjusted for the 2% error and it's spot on! 40mph was 40 on my GPS and same with 50 and 60...good deal.

Last edited by Black_Cat; 12-07-2011 at 02:06 PM.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:06 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quick update. I finally got my speedo working almost perfectly without a speedcal!!!

The long story short is it requires soldering a new capacitor on the speedo circuit board. Total cost of mod about 5 cents! I had extra from another speedometer so it was free for me. Once I get it all documented I will post how to do this. I compared the speedo to my GPS and it was 5 MPH slow but I can fix that with a different capacitor.

Finally after 5 years I have a speedo that works and it cost nothing to do! Who needs a speedcal after all.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:22 PM

I am VERY interested in your writeup...
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Quick update. I finally got my speedo working almost perfectly without a speedcal!!!

The long story short is it requires soldering a new capacitor on the speedo circuit board. Total cost of mod about 5 cents! I had extra from another speedometer so it was free for me. Once I get it all documented I will post how to do this. I compared the speedo to my GPS and it was 5 MPH slow but I can fix that with a different capacitor.

Finally after 5 years I have a speedo that works and it cost nothing to do! Who needs a speedcal after all.

Will
There is a mod I have found and copied from this site to change your speedometer to whatever scale you want; it involves soldering a resistor.

My question for you is this. Doing what you are doing will make the speedometer read correctly, but what about the odometer? Check that out and make sure that is correct as well because I'm not so sure it will be.

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:06 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
There is a mod I have found and copied from this site to change your speedometer to whatever scale you want; it involves soldering a resistor.

My question for you is this. Doing what you are doing will make the speedometer read correctly, but what about the odometer? Check that out and make sure that is correct as well because I'm not so sure it will be.
NetKeym
Good point. Right now my odometer is broken for the third time again so I am not sure how it is responding. I am sure it will read correctly because it is controlled by the same IC the speedo is.

However the one point that did not occur to me until after I got it working was the effect on other systems. In the Ford fuel injection book (EEC IV not EEC V) I have the VSS is used as input to the cruise control, fan, idle air bypass and torque converter lock up. The mod I did is at the actual speedo and after the ECM. Since I have a 5 speed I don't have to worry about the torque converter. I don't know how the fan is behaving just yet either.

I will have to access how everything is working still. But for my setup I think this will work just fine.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 AM
MaleWhore

lookin forward to it

2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Lifted
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
imho the speedcal is stilll better, and also much simpler. Just have to get the right one.

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 10:45 AM
MaleWhore

Quote:
NetKeym
Good point. Right now my odometer is broken for the third time again so I am not sure how it is responding. I am sure it will read correctly because it is controlled by the same IC the speedo is.

However the one point that did not occur to me until after I got it working was the effect on other systems. In the Ford fuel injection book (EEC IV not EEC V) I have the VSS is used as input to the cruise control, fan, idle air bypass and torque converter lock up. The mod I did is at the actual speedo and after the ECM. Since I have a 5 speed I don't have to worry about the torque converter. I don't know how the fan is behaving just yet either.

I will have to access how everything is working still. But for my setup I think this will work just fine.

Will
Any updates/pics/where to even start on this project? seems interesting and im looking forward to fixing my speedo issue before my tune!

2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Lifted
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:25 AM
5th Gear Poster

Smokymance
I have been driving the car a bit and with the speedo mod and the car will defiantly overheat without doing some extra work. The eec shuts the fan off at 45 mph so basically at about 10 miles an hour the fan is already off because of the multiplication of the tr3650 speed signal. You would either need to do a manual fan switch or correct the speedo before the EEC. I will still post how to do the mod I just need to get a chance to write it up. Thanks.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 PM
MaleWhore

So i installed the ER speedcal and now i need to get the code....tried a code from Blk Cat and it is slightly off...

at 20mph on the dash i am actually doing 30 on gps

at 25mph in doing 37 on gps

2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Lifted
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 PM

I need your rear tire size, axle ratio and number of teeth on your VSS drive gear and driven gear. The you don't have the drive gear teeth count, what transmission are you running.

Also, FYI, Microsoft forced me to migrate my web site, which changed the URLs on the links above.

The new links are:

VSS PPM: http://www.accutach.com/Pages/FordVSSCalculator.aspx

Speedcal Calculator: http://www.accutach.com/Pages/Recali...alculator.aspx

VSS/OSS background information: http://www.accutach.com/Pages/VSSvsOSSSwaps.aspx

Last edited by markolson; 04-18-2012 at 01:55 PM.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
I've Updated the Main content, so everything is as it should be.

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 01:58 PM
MaleWhore

Old thread wakeup:

Im stunned with this one, and i dont think its the Extended Range Speed Cal, but it could be, who knows. After talking to Black Cat, i will check all my connections again, but last week when i checked them, everything was in tact...

Issue i been having lately has been when i apply the brakes, my speedo shoots to zero...release brakes, it resumes to whatever speed the vehicle is traveling, unless the vehicle is going under 20mph ± few mph. For example, if im traveling @45, barely tap the brake pedal, enough just to turn on the brake lights, the speedo will drop to zero, when i release the pedal, the speedo goes back up to 45mph...if im doing 18mph, everything is ok, speedo doesn not drop down when applying and releasing the brakes....

I disconnected my brake light switch on the brake pedal, and went for a spin around the block ( i know it was just a few houses with no brake lights) and speedo worked just fine....reconnected it, back to jumping around over 20mph.

I checked w my volt meter if the Speed cal unit looses power when brakes are applied, and it does NOT. No way for me to check the speed signal i dont think w my volt meter. I have noticed that last time this happened it was after i washed the car...and a few moments after driving it, symptoms appeared.
Yesterday worked fine all day driving it, after little rain storm, i drove the car and the symptom appeared again...

Any idea where to look? places of interest that i might go after and check out? i just dont know how the brake pedal influences speed sensor i guess...thanks guys! As mentioned ill recheck the wiring again, but from what i saw last time, nothing really looked bad!

LM

2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Lifted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.