what is a good radio - TCCoA Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Unhappy what is a good radio

my sony I have that replaced my original radio took a dump on me it wont let me change the station on it.

what is a good replacement with out breaking the bank I am thinking a pioneer but I don't know if there still making car radios.

what is a good radio replacement I can get for a decent price.

also what is the ones every one has that are still working the best as well for you guys
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:28 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Pioneer is still making radios and they're still the best I think. I have a Pioneer unit in one of my other cars, it's reliable just like a factory radio, no random glitches and freezes (it's a touchscreen). Definitely go Pioneer, they might be a little more expensive than the competition but it's worth it.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:11 PM
4th Gear Poster

I am very satisfied with my JVC KD -860BT I believe it was only $120.00 a couple years ago. It has a CD slot in addition to some other nice features. Whatever brand you buy, make sure it has bluetooth. My unit is setup for Pandora radio, which is a plus if you listen to it. By pressing buttons you can give a tune a thumbs up, or down. An interesting tidbit, the company JVC is now JVC KENWOOD. I bought my unit on line from Sonix Electronics. I made a mistake when installing, and did some damage. They replaced it under warranty, no questions asked. The have good tech support, too.

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:48 PM
PostWhore

Garage
I bought this for my 4runner recently and I really like it.
Pioneer MVH-X580BS Digital media receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield.com

Has everything I need in a radio. Radio, Bluetooth, external microphone, spotify and pandora support. It doesn't play CD's, but I really don't own any CD's anymore. Nice and compact, easy install, and it works well. Plenty of pre-outs on the back, USB support as well. You can customize the display color nicely too.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:13 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Are the aftermarket options really that much better then the factory head unit? I know that all the cool kids were swapping out their radios in the 90's because that was the thing to do, but is the sound quality really that much better? Why not put a Ford radio back in?

1995 T-Bird. PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Big MHS cams. 4,200 Dirty Dogg converter. Kooks headers. Full exhaust. 4" Drive Shaft. 4:10s.
Waiting on a tune.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII FX2 Sand Dune Machine.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC- stock
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:53 PM
Kind of slapped together

Sound quality can be better, yes.

Alas, seems like the "radio" part isn't. Even in high end units, I find a lot more intermod and less selectivity than in the factory radio.

RwP

Fuelly
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:11 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck95 View Post
Are the aftermarket options really that much better then the factory head unit? I know that all the cool kids were swapping out their radios in the 90's because that was the thing to do, but is the sound quality really that much better? Why not put a Ford radio back in?
For me it's not about the quality of the radio at all, I barely ever listen to the actual radio as where I live we have very few stations I care at all about. I can listen to the same 30 "classic" rock songs over and over, the same 30 "hard" rock songs over and over, the same 60 country songs spread across three stations over and over, or the two top 40 stations. Even so, there's only so much you can do to get more "quality" sound over radio waves. Sure, there's HD radio, but you need broadcasters to broadcast over the air to take advantage of it. You can do Sirius FM, my wife has that in her Escape, but I can't find what I really want to listen to, and again, it's pretty much the same 40 or so songs on a loop

The main reason I install aftermarket stereos in my cars is the added functionality. I like having bluetooth in all my cars for hands free use. I am a very dedicated driver, I want my eyes up and hands on the wheel as much as possible. All my cars, from the stock unit in my wife's '16 Escape, the Sony in my Thunderbird, and the Panasonic in my 4Runner (which cost 1/5 what I paid for the truck) all have bluetooth so I can say, "Call Sara" and it'll call my wife. I can say, Navigate to X, and Google maps will pop up on my phone (mounted in the left most corner of the windshield) and lead me to my destination. Thanks to the bluetooth connection, I can stream Spotify or Pandora, and I can also easily add amplifiers, subwoofers, etc and fine tune the sound to suit my needs. Thus far, I have a sub and an amp for the sub in my Thunderbird, just a single 12" with a 100W amp, nothing fancy, but it adds the bass the 6x8's don't deliver. Since the stereo supports the sub, it has a built in crossover that limits the bass going to the 6x8's, making the whole car sound better. So for a small investment of around $100-150, I get a lot of additional function over the stock units that came in our cars. Sound quality is going to be better due to the better quality speakers I also added, and adjustability is better with a 7 channel equalizer.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:05 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
I can appreciate the added functionality that the aftermarket options offer, but for me, I just like a basic radio. I have yet to touch any aftermarket radio face that has buttons that feel as sturdy and solid as the factory buttons.

1995 T-Bird. PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Big MHS cams. 4,200 Dirty Dogg converter. Kooks headers. Full exhaust. 4" Drive Shaft. 4:10s.
Waiting on a tune.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:11 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
For me it's not about the quality of the radio at all, I barely ever listen to the actual radio as where I live we have very few stations I care at all about. I can listen to the same 30 "classic" rock songs over and over, the same 30 "hard" rock songs over and over, the same 60 country songs spread across three stations over and over, or the two top 40 stations. Even so, there's only so much you can do to get more "quality" sound over radio waves. Sure, there's HD radio, but you need broadcasters to broadcast over the air to take advantage of it. You can do Sirius FM, my wife has that in her Escape, but I can't find what I really want to listen to, and again, it's pretty much the same 40 or so songs on a loop

The main reason I install aftermarket stereos in my cars is the added functionality. I like having bluetooth in all my cars for hands free use. I am a very dedicated driver, I want my eyes up and hands on the wheel as much as possible. All my cars, from the stock unit in my wife's '16 Escape, the Sony in my Thunderbird, and the Panasonic in my 4Runner (which cost 1/5 what I paid for the truck) all have bluetooth so I can say, "Call Sara" and it'll call my wife. I can say, Navigate to X, and Google maps will pop up on my phone (mounted in the left most corner of the windshield) and lead me to my destination. Thanks to the bluetooth connection, I can stream Spotify or Pandora, and I can also easily add amplifiers, subwoofers, etc and fine tune the sound to suit my needs. Thus far, I have a sub and an amp for the sub in my Thunderbird, just a single 12" with a 100W amp, nothing fancy, but it adds the bass the 6x8's don't deliver. Since the stereo supports the sub, it has a built in crossover that limits the bass going to the 6x8's, making the whole car sound better. So for a small investment of around $100-150, I get a lot of additional function over the stock units that came in our cars. Sound quality is going to be better due to the better quality speakers I also added, and adjustability is better with a 7 channel equalizer.
This.

I've stubbornly clung to the factory radio in my car for over 10 years, and between music and radio getting worse and worse, and my music collection becoming ever more digital I found myself in the last few years not even turning the stereo on, let alone nitpicking over the sound quality simply because I ran out of burnable CDs.

I never got the hubbub over headunit upgrading in the 90s-00s - nothing like jamming in some glitter silver space ship shaped receiver with red and blue lights in one of these just because it sounds slightly better and plays CDs. But now a days, with Bluetooth, I must say that's the single best technology to happen in my lifetime IMO. No more burning CDs and filling my console with them, no AUX or USB cords to tangle up. Plus a lot of of the single DIN head units on the market actually look pretty decent as of late, IE they're mostly black (albeit glossy unfortunately), less abstract looking, and color adjustable. I got an Alpine CDE 164BT for my Cougar, Pioneer (in fact the exact model Woodman posted) was my second favorite.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:18 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I had a guy on the 300zx forums who jumped all over me when I told him switching from some low end JVC to a mid range alpine made the stereo sound better in my car. He was the alleged bose stereo guru. I merely wrote what components I had to go into the car, and asked the guys if they thought it would all jive and sound good. They said no, I put it in anyways, it sounded amazing, and now that same sub is in the back of my bird. Sorry to segue, I despise forums once and a while.

I have always swapped head units in almost everything I have ever owned, even just changing the Ford stock head unit into a pioneer unit (circa 2003) with stock speakers, caused an improvement (I think). Currently I have in both my Bird and my F250 a Pioneer DEH-X6600BT. The units came from best buy, they where something like 100$ flat. Ive always liked the way I can control my equalizer through the pioneer units, you can so many things with the deck, its quite impressive. I may run them because I have been using them since 2003, so I may just be use to how to control them. I have had bad luck with JVC and Sony Decks. My buddy runs a lot of Kenwoods and always had good things to say about them. Speaking in regards to the handful Ive had, Alpine decks are good if you are dumb and cant read an owners manual when setting up the equalizer, they only have a few basic setting to adjust.

Also keep in mind, the way Ford engineered the DIN slots in the Birds, makes finding a place to sneak the wiring a bit tricky. When I was younger, I would hardwire the Pioneer harness/connector into the Ford OEM wiring. More recently I used a jumper currently but it was like parting the red sea trying to get it all to tuck and sit correctly in that dash. I bet in a few years I will have some chaffing issues and wacky stuff will start to happen, though I hope not.

I don't know if Best Buy no longer carries Pioneer car head units, I couldn't find them on the website. Just check around, the internet is a beautiful thing.

Here is my head unit

With the color change ability of the deck,I can match the stock green really well.
Woodman likes this.

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L AWD - Cooling work, a big sound system, an exhaust, 3.5" IRO lift on 31s
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:12 AM
̇

Garage
I've ran JVC,Kenwood,Jensen,Audiovox,Panasonic,Clarion,Blau punkt,Alpine,Sony, and Pioneer just to name a few..

The cleanest sounding head unit was the Clarion..It was one of their higher end units..

As far as reliability goes..The JVC,Kenwood,Jensen,Audiovox,Panasonic,Blaupunkt, and Alpine didn't last very long..

The Sony and Pioneer were the most durable, and did not die..

Pioneer makes some really nice head units, if you don't mind spending a few hundred on one of their higher end units..
I don't mean feature wise, I mean sound wise..The higher end Pioneer head units sound a lot more crisp..

Just about all of the head units you can buy at places like Walmart, are just entry level units..They don't sound very good at all..

I'm running an older Sony head unit in my Thunderbird now, that has all the bells and whistles..It sounds pretty decent too..

My suggestion, if you're not happy with the way the factory stereo sounds..Is to go with either a Pioneer or Sony head unit..

Don't cheap out either , if you care about sound quality...You get what you pay for..

Even with a nice set of speakers, a cheap head unit is still going to sound like crap..

Rayo..
Woodman likes this.

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:34 AM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Hey Rayo- do the buttons and knobs on a high end unit feel as positive as they do on a factory radio face?

Waiting on a tune.

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:19 AM
PostWhore

I got a Kenwood from Crutchfield for $179 for my T-Bird. It had a factory cassette player, and while I still have some old cassettes, we have two other cars with that capability.

I love having Bluetooth, HD radio, CD, and I can plug a flash drive in that has like 100 CD's on it. One cool thing I can do is watch a Youtube video on my phone with the sound coming out the speakers.

Sound quality is a ton better than the factory radio.

Al
Woodman likes this.

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:57 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Hey Rayo- do the buttons and knobs on a high end unit feel as positive as they do on a factory radio face?
The buttons/knobs on a high end aftermarket head unit are often the exact same thing as on a "cheap" one from the same brand. They upgrade the internals, and use the same externals to keep costs low.

That said, no, they're not going to have the same feel and stick out as far as on a factory head unit from 20 years ago. The technology has changed so much that they use a very slight touch that triggers an electronic switch instead of a spring loaded button. There's no real "feel" to them at all. I'm not one to play with the buttons much at all, I set it and forget it. The only thing I do usually is change the volume up and down as needed. I'd like to find one that has a remote I could connect to the steering wheel that doesn't look like garbage, so I can control the volume from the wheel, but it's not that big of a deal.

Someone above posted about how the folks on the 300z forum said his stereo would sound like crap. Like all things cars, if you "buck the trend" you'll find most of the folks who follow the trends will tell you the same thing. Everyone on the internet has a "golden ear" and can tell the difference between a $50 set of speakers and a $75 set of speakers. Yes, more expensive speakers and headunits can and should sound "better", but they're going in a car that's 20 or so years old, is not acoustically perfect, and are there just for simple entertainment. My opinion is put the stuff you want in, and if you don't like it return it and try something else. My Pioneer in the 4runner is running through stock speakers and sounds pretty good till I turn the truck on and the something that's making the AC fan vibrate kicks in, but I can hear my ZZ Top or Southern Culture on the Skids on my way to work, so I'm happy. My Thunderbird has 6x8 four way speakers all around, and a subwoofer. I'm sure someone out there will say it "sounds like crap" but it sounds good enough for me to pick up things I couldn't hear in a stock vehicle with stock speakers, gets loud enough to make me happy when a good song comes on, and has enough bass to fill the car without being obnoxious.

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters no matter what someone else says. Know what I mean?

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:20 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Just to be clear..

There's High End:

The reviews on the Pioneer DEH-80PRS say the controls have a cheap feel to them..Which is apparent just looking at it..
If you can get past that..
Then the features of the DEH-80PRS will make this head unit worth it for anyone not looking to spend too much for a head unit that has really nice sound quality..

Then there's Higher End:

The higher end head units have a solid feel to the controls..Even more so than the feel of the factory stereo knobs and buttons..
Of course, you have to pay a premium for that..

Based on that, most people aren't going to buy a "Higher End" head unit..Just to have the same feel of a stock radio..

You'll be hard pressed to find any aftermarket head units being made today that don't exhibit that cheap plastic feel of the controls..

Rayo..

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
It's not really technology that made the buttons have no feel or spring action, they've got the same feel as pressing a smd momentary switch, which is exactly what lies beneath - basic radio shack(RIP) parts bin technology for decades, the 94-96 traction assist button on the VMM has one inside, it has the same feel. The factory radios used conductive rubber contacts like remote controls or game controllers, which I'd consider higher tech and with much better feel. No aftermarket head unit since at least the mid 90s has the OEM feel, and that's mostly because the contact style switches require buttons that are larger, whereas SMD switches allow use of the teeniest tiniest buttons the aftermarket just can't get enough. Removable faceplates may also play a role in the lack of real estate inside as well.

That latter Pioneer looks very nice, but it costs over $1,000!!! I've never seen it in person but I suspect a Pioneer shaft radio from the 70s has vastly better feel to the knobs, and I'll eat my hat if those five tiny buttons feel different than a $100 Pioneer. Scrolling through the details tab it also seems to lack a metric shit ton of features common on lower end units
Woodman likes this.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 01-03-2017 at 11:06 AM.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:23 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

I'm an Alpine fan, have been for a long time.

I bought a CDA-7889 a few years back, and I'm spoiled.

I found this on Youtube:

I bought a Second one that is sitting here ready to plug in, as soon as it gets warm.

What I Really want is a Digital Media Player that is CD-less, has FLAC, MP3, WMA, AAC, and ogg as a minimum.

I need 6 RCA's out the back, 2x USB 3.0 inputs, Time Correction, Parametric Equalization, Playlist support, and all the normal Bluetooth functions everyone expects now.

When Alpine makes that, I'll spend some serious money.

I paid $899 for the first one of the CDA-7889's.
Tbird Bob likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
No way am I putting a head unit in my car that cost more then I paid for the whole car. I am happy with the deck I have, I think it performs a bit better then the budget price leads on. That may also be due to the nice door speakers I picked up, and the relatively substantial twelve I have in the trunk. Maybe without the sub it would sound terrible.

Lets face it, your stereo isn't shit until you can make your volt gauge bounce back and forth in unison with the bass of the song. Thank you Future for your ridiculous shit.
Woodman likes this.

2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L AWD - Cooling work, a big sound system, an exhaust, 3.5" IRO lift on 31s
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:49 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Actually, walmarts decks are nice for their price.
I got a pioneer from there and with all the sound settings and being able to tune the interiors and sub with different settings helps.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:44 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
That latter Pioneer looks very nice, but it costs over $1,000!!! I've never seen it in person but I suspect a Pioneer shaft radio from the 70s has vastly better feel to the knobs, and I'll eat my hat if those five tiny buttons feel different than a $100 Pioneer. Scrolling through the details tab it also seems to lack a metric shit ton of features common on lower end units
Yeah, that "Higher End" Pioneer head unit is sweet for sure..Would look good in your car Matt..

You have to remember though, the kind of individual that is buying this head unit isn't looking for every available option..
Their looking for the best quality sound possible..In fact there isn't even an onboard amplifier built into this unit..

To put it another way..This isn't the type of head unit joe schmo is going to put into his daily driver..lol

As far as the feel of the rotary knobs, they may lack that resistance you feel on the knobs of a radio from the 70's..
Still, the knobs on this head unit are superior and have a better feel than what you'd find on a lower end unit..

Rayo..

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:39 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
If I wanted a head unit with the best sound quality possible and features stuck in the 1990s, I'd buy myself a mint one of these for the same money

...And it would look 1,000x better in my dash than that Pioneer!

I guess that's my thing, a head unit without color adjustability, without any feature basically besides a CD player, and needs an amplifier to work? So it's a preamp, a piece of the puzzle the overall system is whose selection of components will ultimately make or break it. That 7909 I posted was a very expensive competition grade head unit too, but at least it had all the same features that were on their lower level 7904 or whatever from the same period.

-Matt
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:31 AM
̇

Garage

Still think the Alpine looks better?

Rayo..

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Yes. The Pioneer looks home made by comparison.

-Matt
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 01:59 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Lazy install,just made shur it all worked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0113171645.jpg (1.39 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 0113171646.jpg (1.40 MB, 3 views)

I WANT TO TRADE a 75mm throttlebody and exremly ported vic plenum and a set of 24lb injectors FOR a pi intake and alternator bracket and hopefully valleytube and nipple, pm me!!!
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 03:00 PM

You want to face those speakers the other way; the rear seat is invisible to those frequencies.

You really don't need two subs, the wavelength is too short to hear the difference.

But, then, there's Metallica.
Lars pounds one side of your head, then the other. Or Both alternately.

Matt, If I had one of those, I'd be using it.

Those had the best sound, and are fairly reliable.

Pioneer has been garbage since the 70's, IMHO.
I still have a Pioneer receiver in my bedroom, but it's from '75.

Alpine has always had the high-clarity high frequency bandwidth, without making the low end nonexistent.

You just needed a big amp to fill in the low end.

I tend to run ~75RMS/channel for the front and rear speakers, and ~500rms for the sub. All class AB, no switching amps.
I use tubular Sealed boxes, which aren't very peaky with their response curve.

It peaks about 60 amps when I'm jammin, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

Last edited by Grog6; 01-14-2017 at 03:13 PM.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I too think 500rms is where a sub needs to be, I think the ratting on some of these amps are just some stuff the company made up. I have an alpine pdx pushing that type r and when you first open it they have an actual rating rms for the amp you have in your hand. Mine was like 504rms or something like that. Sounds awesome. Against your opinion I'm running a Pioneer deck though. I prefer the adjustment of the frequency response over the current alpines, or the alpines I have had over the past 10 years. I always slam an alpine in my wife's vehicles because they don't require much adjustment of settings. This may be due to them not being super high end decks though.

2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 05:15 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post

Matt, If I had one of those, I'd be using it.

Those had the best sound, and are fairly reliable.

Pioneer has been garbage since the 70's, IMHO.
I still have a Pioneer receiver in my bedroom, but it's from '75.

Alpine has always had the high-clarity high frequency bandwidth, without making the low end nonexistent.
I've wanted one of those old 7909s for years, I've heard from more than a few people they're unparalleled by newer high end units, which is probably why they still fetch big money. I'm not a big audio guy though so it's mostly wasted on the likes of me.

Just for good measure this is what is actually in my car before it was badly photoshopped out without my permission
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4777.jpg (36.5 KB, 30 views)

-Matt
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:40 PM

I always buy decks with no amp, if possible. Extra heat in the dash I really don't need.

And the "45Wrms" people claim is always ~20W at the 1% distortion level; not at all what I want.

I usually buy a 6 channel amp with > 60Wrms, and a bridgeable sub channel good for at least 650Wrms.

That usually means they can hit what I need, and still have a bit of headroom.

The "Time Correction" feature Alpine has is a really neat thing; if you spend a lot of time in your car, it really makes the sound pop.

When you get the delays set right, you feel like you're sitting on the stage...

And the one I have has a 9 band eq, and an adjustment for each pair of RCA's.

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:48 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Eclipse headunits FTW. Maybe some Naka's.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 09:48 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Subs imo sound better faced towards the trunk as it reflects the bass,these are also non ported. I also have my subs set of reverse too..the seat muffles the bass and facing forward the frequinces are stretched too long and dont sound near as crisp..
And 24in of speaker will hit garder than 12 if the same exact speaker..
I did have 2 mtx 9500s and an ecplispe amp but it was wayyy too much bass.

I WANT TO TRADE a 75mm throttlebody and exremly ported vic plenum and a set of 24lb injectors FOR a pi intake and alternator bracket and hopefully valleytube and nipple, pm me!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.