Head unit lights turn on when I press the brake pedal - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Head unit lights turn on when I press the brake pedal

This is an odd one. Just noticed it this weekend.

I put in a Blaupunkt Rio De Janerio HU. No problems with install... Works fine.

But just noticed, with key not in ignition, and the faceplate still attached, if I press the brake pedal hard, the HU will light up and stay on. Sometimes solid, other times it'll flash like emergency flashers...

Not a clue how the two could be related....

Any ideas?
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Did You Use an adapter harness or wire it yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv View Post
This is an odd one. Just noticed it this weekend.

I put in a Blaupunkt Rio De Janerio HU. No problems with install... Works fine.

But just noticed, with key not in ignition, and the faceplate still attached, if I press the brake pedal hard, the HU will light up and stay on. Sometimes solid, other times it'll flash like emergency flashers...

Not a clue how the two could be related....

Any ideas?
Did you use a wiring adapter to plug into the factory wiring or did you wire the radio direct to the harness?

If you used an adapter harness, i don't understand why this would occur, but if you wired it yourself, maybe you tied into the gear shift brake interlock wiring.

Do the lights work normally when the car is running?

Either way my guess is that somehow the brake interlock is causing it to trigger. I assume that circuit only works in PARK as that's it's only purpose. It shouldn't work with the car not running though.

One other thought is the factory security circuit is causing a problem. That may be why sometimes it flashes. That may even be part of the radio wiring, so maybe you tied into the wrong circuit for radio illumination.

I don't have a wiring guide for it, but i would guess if you search you can find the color or pin number for these circuits and try to see if that's the problem. Otherwise maybe this response bumping you to the top of the forum might get a response from someone who actually knows something about the wiring on these. Its not my specialty.

96 Saleen Cobra 55k
98 Mark VIII 91K
97 Mark VIII LSC 175k
94 Mark VIII 122k
84 Bronco 351 HO 115K
66 Mercury Monterey 390
49 Lincoln 2 dr
70 Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V Restored
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
I used the adapters supplied by Crutchfield. all the colors lined up, just not one for the antenna wire, since I have a manual antenna...(odd, but super cool)
Lights work, everything works. I think it's somewhere along where you say.
Doesn't bother me. I just unclick or remove the face plate, and no issues
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:40 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

You have a back fed line; it's either related to the stereo install, or something else shorted.

It could be as easy as a blown fuse; some circuits will do that.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.