TCCoA Forums banner

Head unit lights turn on when I press the brake pedal

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Natesriv 
#1 ·
This is an odd one. Just noticed it this weekend.

I put in a Blaupunkt Rio De Janerio HU. No problems with install... Works fine.

But just noticed, with key not in ignition, and the faceplate still attached, if I press the brake pedal hard, the HU will light up and stay on. Sometimes solid, other times it'll flash like emergency flashers...

Not a clue how the two could be related....

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Did You Use an adapter harness or wire it yourself?

Did you use a wiring adapter to plug into the factory wiring or did you wire the radio direct to the harness?

If you used an adapter harness, i don't understand why this would occur, but if you wired it yourself, maybe you tied into the gear shift brake interlock wiring.

Do the lights work normally when the car is running?

Either way my guess is that somehow the brake interlock is causing it to trigger. I assume that circuit only works in PARK as that's it's only purpose. It shouldn't work with the car not running though.

One other thought is the factory security circuit is causing a problem. That may be why sometimes it flashes. That may even be part of the radio wiring, so maybe you tied into the wrong circuit for radio illumination.

I don't have a wiring guide for it, but i would guess if you search you can find the color or pin number for these circuits and try to see if that's the problem. Otherwise maybe this response bumping you to the top of the forum might get a response from someone who actually knows something about the wiring on these. Its not my specialty.

#3 ·
I used the adapters supplied by Crutchfield. all the colors lined up, just not one for the antenna wire, since I have a manual antenna...(odd, but super cool)
Lights work, everything works. I think it's somewhere along where you say.
Doesn't bother me. I just unclick or remove the face plate, and no issues :)

#4 ·
You have a back fed line; it's either related to the stereo install, or something else shorted.

It could be as easy as a blown fuse; some circuits will do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.