4Likes
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By RalphP
  • 2 Post By Woodman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Does this radio exist?

I have fairly specific desires, but have been unable to find a new unit that qualifies, despite a lot of searching online of various brands (name and generic), high/mid/low end.

What I want:
  • single-DIN (not interested in hacking the dash)
  • 4-channel at least, for obvious reasons
  • AM/FM (I rarely listen to FM. I listen to talk/news radio, so good AM is a must.)
  • detachable face (or very convincing fake cover)
  • Adjustable EQ (preferably with adjustable spatial expansion; preset-only seems the norm nowadays, ugh)
  • Mechless (I'll primarily use SD card, USB maybe on occasion)
  • decent sound Q (don't need $uper high-end $ound, but don't want utter crap, either)
  • decent display (I'm an info whore who doesn't want to have to squint (and be very distracted) to read a bazillion tiny lines; also need good viewing in daylight)
  • green display or settable to green (hopefully close to OEM green; Depending on what I spend on this unit, I may move it to a newer replacement vehicle later on, in which case multicolor option would be best.)

What I may want (on the fence):
  • flip screen (just something else to fail, but may need it for my info whoreness? Can I sync phone navigation to it? I presume flip down is called for, due to a/c controls.)
  • Bluetooth (I'll mostly use SD cards for music. Phone call thru speakers might be nice, but probably don't need it, as I rarely phone while driving. May be nice for navigation, if doable.)
  • preamp/sub outs (I may someday explore the possibility of a better sound system setup for my '96 Birdy, but I still have OEM cassette! Depending on what I spend on this unit, I may move it to a newer replacement vehicle later with (and/or install) a more capable system.)
  • clock function (OEM clock is malfunctioning. Do I go with stereo clock or fix my dash clock? If dash clock delete, what to do with that space?)

I don't want to spend a fortune on this -- really just want a basic receiver with a few luxury features.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:57 AM

Garage
Check out the Kenwood BT315 U. I was last years model I believe, so price is great! I just got that and 4 new kenwood 3 ways that i replaced in my 96. Sounds great and I got it all for under $200 including the adapter. Although it does not have sd slot, it does have usb, so drag your files into a zip drive and its just as good. Plus usb is great for phone charging. It has outputs on the back, I know there are a few connectors back there, cant remember exactly how many. In the future I'll be adding amps and sub so I wanted the option there.

96 Thunderbird LX 3.8L
Fishing when I'm not driving
Advice welcomed
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 12:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The only qualification that doesn't meet your need is the lack of a CD drive, but I've had a Kenwood KDC-X595 in both my cars for a time now. It has a color selectable display, 6 channels, three band parametric EQ, detachable face etc. It has a USB port but as was said you can copy to USB (I use one of those nano USB drives that's only like 1/4" deep when inserted). It plays back files based on alphabetical sorting if you want to set the files up to play in a certain order.

There are newer generations of this model out so they can be had for fairly cheap on eBay nowadays. I have a couple photos of it in my garage for the T-bird, so you can see how well it matches the interior color at night and what it looks like during the day.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 235k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 12:35 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
My Alpine CDE-164bt met those same qualifications for me - EQ, 4 channels, sub outs, USB, Bluetooth, fairly basic display (only two lines of text), settable clock, fully adjustable multicolor display for both screen and buttons etc.
Grog6 likes this.

-Matt
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 02:48 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
The only qualification that doesn't meet your need is the lack of a CD drive, but I've had a Kenwood KDC-X595 in both my cars for a time now. It has a color selectable display, 6 channels, three band parametric EQ, detachable face etc. It has a USB port but as was said you can copy to USB (I use one of those nano USB drives that's only like 1/4" deep when inserted). It plays back files based on alphabetical sorting if you want to set the files up to play in a certain order.

There are newer generations of this model out so they can be had for fairly cheap on eBay nowadays. I have a couple photos of it in my garage for the T-bird, so you can see how well it matches the interior color at night and what it looks like during the day.
Used one on EBay
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Good point on the USB. I see that some micro USB drives are priced about the same as SD's of equivalent capacity, so I'm willing to back off from the SD requirement.

I still don't care to have a mechanical drive. It's an added expense for a capability that likely will never be realized in my unit. However, if that's the only way to get the other features I want, I guess I'll have to live with it. Manufacturers throw everything but the kitchen sink into these things, but I'm surprised so many still bother including mechanical drives.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:31 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

The Alpine mechless drives are pretty cool, but none of them have the full sound processing that the best Alpine CD decks do.

Time correction, if you spend a lot of time in the car by yourself, driving, is awesome.

The older CD decks I have have that, a parametric EQ, 4+sub RCA outs, and everything you listed except a hardware input; I love them.

The equivalent I've been looking at is this: CDE-HD149BT

If this had time correction and all the other goodines, it would be awesome.
I have both Sinatra and Snoop in FLAC.
UTE-62BT

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:37 PM
PostWhore

Garage
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X58...S.html?tp=5684

Has everything you desire but the SD card input.

I have one of these in my 4Runner, and it is an excellent head unit. The bluetooth is flawless, picked up my Nexus 6p just fine, and works perfectly with my S8+, I use it primarily for Spotify, which it supports natively, and for phone conversations while I drive so I can be hands free. The display is informative, scrolls from song title to album title to artist on a loop, it has adjustable EQ (13 band) that does include presets, but like you I prefer to tune it myself, and 6 channel pre-out (front, rear, sub). No CD player, no flip front but it does have a detachable face. The adjustable color faceplate is also nice to match to whatever car/or your personal taste. It even has a programmable dimmer that can either work based on the headlight switch or on a set time on the clock. The clock display is also always on, so it can replace the defective one in your car.

For $100, it's a great unit. Sounds great with the factory speakers (component front speakers) on my 97 4Runner, I'm tempted to replace my Sony in my Thunderbird with one of these actually.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:52 PM
Kind of slapped together

Also, if you find one with USB but not SD card capability, you can add a SD/USB card reader.

An example is at https://smile.amazon.com/Sandisk-Mob.../dp/B000Q3IUV2 .

RwP
Woodman likes this.

Fuelly
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 09:11 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Agreed, and the cost per MB on SD cards is still high compared to that of Thumb drives or even external hard drives.

On Amazon, a name brand (SanDisk) 128GB SD card is $63. https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extre...%3A13203834011
A SanDisk 128GB Thumbdrive is $32.99. https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra...%7C10285018011
And if you want to really hold a ton of music, you can always get a 2TB External slim drive like this for $70 and hold ALL the music. https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expan...n%3A7817230011

I realize the other two options are smaller, that thumb drive is tiny, barely would even see it sticking out the front of the head unit, but there are better storage options than SD cards price wise.
Grog6 and CDsDontBurn like this.

2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 09:37 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
The Alpine mechless drives are pretty cool, but none of them have the full sound processing that the best Alpine CD decks do.

Time correction, if you spend a lot of time in the car by yourself, driving, is awesome.

The older CD decks I have have that, a parametric EQ, 4+sub RCA outs, and everything you listed except a hardware input; I love them.

The equivalent I've been looking at is this: CDE-HD149BT

If this had time correction and all the other goodines, it would be awesome.
I have both Sinatra and Snoop in FLAC.
UTE-62BT
I was going to get the CDE-HD149BT but found that only the button colors could be adjusted, so you're stuck with the white text screen. HD radio is the only thing mine lacks from that one as far as I can tell, which isn't a big deal with radio sucking so much these days.

-Matt
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 05:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I use Pioneer with the color changing screens/buttons and just set everything to Green or Dark Green.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Agreed, and the cost per MB on SD cards is still high compared to that of Thumb drives or even external hard drives.
Perhaps with higher capacities, but you also chose a really fast (overkill for audio) SD card for comparison. Here's a 128GB class 10 that's $20 less.

Now consider these (sticking with SanDisk and Amazon for the sake of argument):

SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB $11.95

SanDisk Ultra 32GB Class 10 SD $9.99

SanDisk Cruzer Fit 64GB USB $17.95

SanDisk 64GB Class 4 SD $19.79

I linked the lowest-priced examples that popped up via quick search on Amazon.

The 32GB mini/micro USB costs more than the class 10 32GB SD.
Even a mere 32 gigs will hold a lot of audio -- in my case, more than enough for a single excursion in the Houston area. I don't do much out of state travel, but when I do, I reckon 2-3 of these smaller ones would last my entire trip (one-way at least).

The 64GB SD does cost more than its micro USB counterpart, but not by much.

Since pretty much any speed class of SD card will suffice for audio, even better deals can be had with other brands and/or slower cards. Then there are sales, discount coupons/codes, rebates, etc.

I realize SanDisk is the industry favorite, but so far I don't have trust issues with most other brands. I've had good luck with various brands and speeds of SD's I've used in photography (including HD video), for example.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:31 AM
PostWhore

The Kenwood Excelon KDL-799 is a great unit. It has AM/FM & HD radio (really nice sound for the stations that are in HD) CD, Bluetooth, USB, and color changing detachable face. You can change the EQ for each device. It was $179 a year or so ago.

Of course, you can make calls hands free. One cool thing I like to do is call up a YouTube video on my phone, and listen to it out of the speakers. OF course, when I am just sitting in the car.

It is Pandora & iHeart radio capable, though you need an additional receiver for Pandora.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

The Kenwood KDC-BTxHD models look promising.

Their top-of-the-line 958 seems to have the features I was looking for, minus SD, plus unnecessary CD -- found it for $180. Unfortunately, Kenwood has reduced the EQ to 7 bands in favor of 3-line display, wireless/voice browsing, dual USB, etc.

I could step down to a 2-line display and get the 758 with 13-band EQ for a little over a hundred bucks. Not bad. One eBay seller claims a 13-band parametric EQ, yet Kenwood's site specs it as normal/graphic instead.. naughty naughty!

The Kenwoods apparently don't accept FLAC. I know I didn't spec that in the OP want list, but it's worth considering.

Pioneer says their 13-band EQ is customizable on the MVH-X580BS, but it's apparently not parametric. This model does, however, work with FLAC.

I guess I could go with a 9-band parametric EQ (à la Alpine) which should provide at least as much control as a 13-band slider/graphic.
EQ (and time correction/staging/imaging/etc.) won't matter that much with my current speaker setup, but I'm thinking ahead to a potential, future, total system upgrade, and would rather avoid having to add an external EQ.

I took a look at the Alpine CDE-HD149BT and it does impress. At $250-$300, it's more than I wanted to spend, but like I said, it may not be long before I buy another DD, and, although it will be late model, it may not have as capable OEM receiver as this, so it's worth considering. It may be more difficult to match dash illumination with this receiver, since it only offers 4 colors. But I suppose green is green, blue is blue, etc.

The UTE-62BT sells for around $140-$160. It takes FLAC, whereas the 149 doesn't. Alpine says it has fixed red illumination, but the image on their site and pix of the box that I've seen show white display with blue buttons, and the Crutchfield YT video shows the colors of both the buttons and the display being changed, independently!

For about the same price as the Pioneer model above, the Kenwood KDC-BT758HD includes the HD tuner and the unnecessary CD player.
I took a look at the available HD programming in the Houston area and am not that impressed, so an HD tuner isn't going to be a deal maker or breaker for me.
Since they're about the same price, I would hope the Pioneer sound Q and perhaps tuner performance are better than the Kenwood to make up the difference.
I'm aware that Kenwood = JVC and Pioneer Corp. = themselves, so there's that.

Do Clarion and Blaupunkt make good car audio these days? Most of my experience repairing audio is with home units, but if memory serves, Blaupunkt in particular used to have a problem with their faceplates dying and replacements had to be recoded (not talking about the security code for the entire unit), and this was a PITA to make work.

Thanks for the tips and recommendations so far. I'm far from pulling the trigger, so keep 'em coming.

Last edited by Torque; 04-27-2017 at 08:37 AM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:17 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post
Perhaps with higher capacities, but you also chose a really fast (overkill for audio) SD card for comparison. Here's a 128GB class 10 that's $20 less.

Now consider these (sticking with SanDisk and Amazon for the sake of argument):

SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB $11.95

SanDisk Ultra 32GB Class 10 SD $9.99

SanDisk Cruzer Fit 64GB USB $17.95

SanDisk 64GB Class 4 SD $19.79

I linked the lowest-priced examples that popped up via quick search on Amazon.

The 32GB mini/micro USB costs more than the class 10 32GB SD.
Even a mere 32 gigs will hold a lot of audio -- in my case, more than enough for a single excursion in the Houston area. I don't do much out of state travel, but when I do, I reckon 2-3 of these smaller ones would last my entire trip (one-way at least).

The 64GB SD does cost more than its micro USB counterpart, but not by much.

Since pretty much any speed class of SD card will suffice for audio, even better deals can be had with other brands and/or slower cards. Then there are sales, discount coupons/codes, rebates, etc.

I realize SanDisk is the industry favorite, but so far I don't have trust issues with most other brands. I've had good luck with various brands and speeds of SD's I've used in photography (including HD video), for example.
I get you, and yes, the lower priced SD cards are more than sufficient. I work with surveillance cameras a lot, and SanDisk's are the only way to go for them, much less failure rate than any other brand thus far. For car audio, yes it's overkill especially with the class 10, but again, if he has to plug in an adapter anyway, you can often get deals on thumbdrives that get you similar pricing.

I grew up in Spring, just north of FM1960 between I-45 and FM-249 (I was there back when it was still called 149, and the Compaq (now sprawling HP Complex) plant was a 20 minute bike ride from my house.) I understand your need for music storage, so go with whatever works best for you.

My info on Blaupunkt and Clarion is decades old. I had a Blaupunkt I put in my 1974 Trans Am back in the day, and the faceplate did fail on it in short order. I also had a Clarion unit in my 1985 XR-7 with a 6 disc changer in the trunk, and that one ended up fizzling out within three years. Not sure if it's still an issue or not though.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:21 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

I mentioned the FLAC format above; If you haven't heard of it, it's a fully lossless audio codec.

I record all my albums in this format; it's amazing how bad everything else sounds when compared directly.

It's amazing how much better all my Albums sound than the same music on CD...

Anything with a lot of high detail music sounds terrible in MP3, and most other formats except the CD format.

Mozart and Rush sound especially bad in mp3, even 320k.

You can't really crank up a 128k mp3 on a decent system; it will make your ears bleed, and my hearing is pretty bad, lol.

The whole deal in buying a 'Good Deck' is to buy a brand you like, and the features you want; if the layout of the controls bugs you, it won't be a good experience, and that's hard to judge over the intarweby.

If it's like another deck you liked previously, you're more likely to be happy in the long run.

Then find the cheapest possible price, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:19 PM

Rush FLAC - audio goodness right there
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
If this had time correction and all the other goodines, it would be awesome. UTE-62BT
This model is looking very promising.

According to the owner's manual, it does have adjustable time correction and other advanced audio control that its CD brothers have.

It also has dual-zone, variable RGB illumination for exact matching, though one of the 30 presets would probably be close enough.

There's a UK UTE-93BT which has a DAB tuner, so I guess USA market research said no to a UTE-63BT with HD.

It has voice control and my Android phone is capable, but I'm wondering how well the two would work together. Most of these car stereos seem to be designed more with Siri in mind, with Androids being an afterthought at best.

I'm ok with lack of SD and HD, though options are always nice to have.

This mechless seems to have pretty much everything else on my list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.