post #153 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:40 PM
PostWhore

No problem.

-Randy-

post #154 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 02:09 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybird_91 View Post

this is it.....sounds great. who says alpine type s isn't good???
what are your dimensions ?
post #155 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:36 PM
5th Gear Poster

I just dropped a pair of Kicker 15" Solobaric L7 subwoofers in a sealed custom box. It is pushed by a Crossfire VR4000D. 1/0 gauge wire from the battery to bring the juice. Available for viewing at my cardomain page

If you can't hear it before you see it...what's the point?
post #156 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 05:09 PM
5th Gear Poster

I can vouch that an infinite baffle setup in these cars works really well. It's just hard as hell to mount them. I'm using 3 JBL 12" GTi's.

post #157 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
nice setup with the WGTis....their parameters lend themselves extremely well for IB setups......I know for a fact that setup will have extremely clean, accurate sound reproduction
post #158 of 176 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Alpine has revamped all of their head units, sub woofers, and amps (not speaker though speakers, which were recently redesigned) for the 2012 model year. The new Type R's sub woofers have been redesigned to handle 1000 Watts RMS. Not sure if that's the 10/12 inch power rating or the 15 inch sub woofer.

Whole Article:http://carstereochick.com/blog/2012/...-of-car-audio/

-Daniel

My driving is a constant struggle between wanting good gas mileage and driving like I'm Mario Andretti.

http://forums.tccoa.com/30-videos-images/134659-pacific-green-bird-4.html

1997 Pacific Green Thunderbird LX- Stock 201xxx miles Daily Driver
post #159 of 176 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
that picture is a SWX-1243D, which is a type x and isn't a new 2012 model. just an observation...

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now on the road!!

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #160 of 176 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
regardless, Alpine has stepped up their speakers as of late when started Klippel'ing them. Also selling customized Scan-Speaks or Seas as part of their line up doesn't hurt.
post #161 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 11:56 AM
1st Gear Poster

wow talk about overkill but hey if your happy enjoy i put a used hifonics atlas 12 dvc 2 ohm in a ported box with phoenicx gold amp and its to much iam looking into one like this but kjust one sub does anyone know the volume of the trunk on a 93 bird lx? so i can fugure what sub toi use also if anyone wants or needs advice i used to work in the industy and have afir amount of knowledge just pm me with a number and time to call its easier that way rock on people
post #162 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Is something burning?..

Garage
I have a 1200W max Rockford Fosgate HE 12" run by a Blaupunkt 600W amp.
I also have Pioneer TSA6885R's in the rear seat, and nothing in the doors yet.(that's how you know your on a budget
It's a Pioneer XBT6600 headunit. I love it. Ill put a picture of my setup later today. It's not much.

-Jonathan
The DD:2016 Mustang Ecoboost 2.3-12.9@106
1995 Thunderbird LX

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/m...jlangton2.html

generated by sloganizer.net
post #163 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 07:05 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalstbird View Post
i am looking into one like this but just one sub does anyone know the volume of the trunk on a 93 bird lx? so i can fugure what sub to use
15.1 cu.ft. interior cargo volume
Trunk size is kind of irrelevant on an infinite baffle setup as the trunk is not sealed and it flexes pretty easy. Plus you'd need to seal off the trunk compartment. Plus there aren't many subs out that work well in an infinite baffle.

Why not try your Atlas is a sealed box? You lose a bit of overall output, but gain sound quality. Plus it will play the really low frequencies that the ported box couldn't.
post #164 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Poster

iam not sure if it will b loud enough but good thought i might try it i was thinking of having one mounted to rear deck and possibly building the box around it right now i have the port aimed to the back of the car it thumps but i might try the sealed box to try it thanks
post #165 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Poster

ok how about having the port ran through the rear deck? just extended out of the box and up through?
post #166 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Just received the beast. B2 Audio XC Dual 0.7 ohm coils.

VERY surprising T/S parameters. If I hadn't seen it myself, I'd have said those parameters belong to a SQ subwoofer, never a 4" coil SPL monster sub!

post #167 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 07:54 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalstbird View Post
ok how about having the port ran through the rear deck? just extended out of the box and up through?
Are you talking about a ported box with only the port going through the rear deck or a sealed box with an oversized port through the rear deck?

The sealed box would work, but the ported would not work well.

A ported box gets it's extra output by using the out of phase rear wave to reinforce the front wave. If the front wave stays in the trunk and only the port exits through the rear deck they aren't going to give that extra output.

Now I have seen some guys build a ported box and face the cone and port forward through the arm rest hole. That works.
post #168 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 08:27 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro
VERY surprising T/S parameters. If I hadn't seen it myself, I'd have said those parameters belong to a SQ subwoofer, never a 4" coil SPL monster sub!
Surprising indeed..

I figured the suspension on that thing would have been able to support you standing on it..lol

I mean FS isn't as high as I thought it would be..

Considering it will takes bursts of 4000 watts..It must all be in the coil/suspension right?

Does that have an 8 layer aluminum flat wound voice coil?

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #169 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Surprising indeed..

I figured the suspension on that thing would have been able to support you standing on it..lol

I mean FS isn't as high as I thought it would be..

Considering it will takes bursts of 4000 watts..It must all be in the coil/suspension right?

Does that have an 8 layer aluminum flat wound voice coil?
It probably could support me standing on it. The Vas is the lowest I have ever personally seen on a 12" subwoofer, which directly translates into a low Cms. I've "seen" others that are lower like the American Bass super-12, some DD subs, the latest SoundQubed subs, but who actually knows, as once you measure things, they don't always turn out to be how they are rated.

B2 Audio rates it at 3kW-10kW, but obviously that is for SPL bursts. The reason Fs isn't as high as one would think is because partly of the coil size, but also the cone. It has a stiffer & thicker cone than my W12GTi, which is already stiff as concrete as it is. The WGTi cone is around 2.5mm thick, and I would suspect that this cone is darn near 3.5 or 4mm thick. I would not be surprised if the cone alone weighed 250-275g. The Mms is a heftly ~1lb altogether. From what I can tell, it is a four layer FW CCAW coil. No way you can get 0.7 ohms DCR using 4 layers per coil, it would have to be less layers, even if aluminum. Look at the ridiculously low inductance---lower than some midranges. Tells ya right there the coil has very few layers, along with an aluminum core. (highly doubt this thing has copper shorting sleeves). Un less the coil is shorter than I think. hard to tell since I don't have anything in the house to run this thing. Even with the coils in series it's only 1.3 ohms, low enough to cause my BASH plate amplifier to go into protect almost immediately. At the moment the only thing I could run this thing with would be the JBL Crown 2400.1, even then I think it is only happy with 2-4ohm loads since it is a high-voltage amp more so than a high-current low-impedance super-amp like those available today nearly everywhere.

All that said, it still pales in comparison to my Eclipse Ti-Pro 15 with the TC 4HP motor variant on it. The Qts on it is even lower than the Stroker 18, which is around 0.24; the Ti-Pro is around 0.19 or 0.20, ridiculously strong for the weight it is slapping around. The XC motor is physically larger, but either the lack of coil layers or the grade of the magnet slugs don't give it as much control as the Ti-Pro motor.
post #170 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 05:57 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
Just received the beast. B2 Audio XC Dual 0.7 ohm coils.
And just what are you going to do with that?

Better yet, wtf drives 0.7 ohm coils??

OOOOK. I understand. Took a sec.

I can get 800Wpeak into that with a cheap power supply off 12V; and it increases proportional to V^2.

Is that a standard now, the 0.7 ohms thing? I hope so...

Public Service Message: (lol)
Guys, sometime you're doing some testing, test your hearing.

You will probably find major deviations in what you can hear vs. frequency; and in some cases, sound level.

Having several people around makes this easier, actually.

Use a wideband speaker, and sweep across the hearing band. When you hit a band that loses apparent volume, see if everyone else can hear it.

An SPL meter helps.

I have seen speakers putting out 200W, and I could Not hear that frequency.

I spent way too much time around guns with no hearing protection, Cars with no mufflers, and 2 stroke race bikes with no mufflers.

I remember a Ted Nugent concert that cracked concrete out of the ceiling of the Coliseum; I couldn't hear anything but "eeeeeeeeeeeeee" for about three days.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams

Last edited by Grog6; 10-10-2014 at 06:06 PM.
post #171 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Poster

i was thinking of just the port but my brain kinda went to sleep foreignor hot blooded cranked up will do that i will post the specs on mine and get some feedback
post #172 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Poster

i guess iam just computer stupid as i have the specs just cant figure out how to copy and paste i will try one last time sealed box 1'5 cubic feet 47.5 hz ported 37.5 with 3.5 w by 10 long round port dvc 4 ohm 900 wpc 1800 peak the magnet is like huge the sub alone weighs almost 50 lbs its a beast thoughts please if u wanna look at the specs on hifonics its the older past 2010 atla sq 12 dvc 2 ohm my bad and i dont have a amp that will run at one ohm so its running at 4 with 1200 watts phoenix gold monoblock amp which in my thoughts are damned good amps
post #173 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
And just what are you going to do with that?

Better yet, wtf drives 0.7 ohm coils??

OOOOK. I understand. Took a sec.

I can get 800Wpeak into that with a cheap power supply off 12V; and it increases proportional to V^2.

Is that a standard now, the 0.7 ohms thing? I hope so...

Public Service Message: (lol)
Guys, sometime you're doing some testing, test your hearing.

You will probably find major deviations in what you can hear vs. frequency; and in some cases, sound level.

Having several people around makes this easier, actually.

Use a wideband speaker, and sweep across the hearing band. When you hit a band that loses apparent volume, see if everyone else can hear it.

An SPL meter helps.

I have seen speakers putting out 200W, and I could Not hear that frequency.

I spent way too much time around guns with no hearing protection, Cars with no mufflers, and 2 stroke race bikes with no mufflers.

I remember a Ted Nugent concert that cracked concrete out of the ceiling of the Coliseum; I couldn't hear anything but "eeeeeeeeeeeeee" for about three days.
Honestly I have no idea what I want to do with it, lol. I just wanted to get it because I could

The combination of inductive and capacitive reactance will have the operational impedance well into the 2+ ohm range. Look at the free-air impedance vs frequency plot, and you can see how it won't get down to 0.7 ohms unless you're at DC. For practical purposes, two 1-ohm stable amps (one on each coil) should do the trick, probably even my JBL/Crown 2400.1. The real competitors parallel the coils for ~1/4 ohm SPL burps on subs with dual 0.5 ohm coils, lol. In essence, since all speakers' impedance rises in actual operation, most amps are never truly driven to their current capacity, due to the impedance rise. A lot of new speakers are designed with this in mind, to truly get the most power out an amp that is resistively rated down to 1-ohm single channel load.

Some would call it a dual-1 ohm speaker, but then again, those usually have a DCR of around 0.8-0.9 ohms. This checks in at around 0.62 ohms per coil, so it's just a smidge lower overall impedance rating.

Last edited by guitar maestro; 10-11-2014 at 09:15 AM.
post #174 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 08:25 AM
PostWhore

Now I've seen my fair share of car audio systems on YT moving things around a bit, but this is NUTTs!

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l 97 Headlamps/Hood All Red Tails Muffler/Resonator Delete
2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
2008 Acadia Limited AWD

...still looking for a clean, low mileage, rust free 96/97 Thunderbird 4.6
post #175 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Poster

wow we have some great people here yes you can get great stuff without buying name brand although in my thoughts i love kenwood head units mainly cause of the sub controls built in although iam sure other man make similar i also have a older hifonics 12 square sub that flat out pounds and i love phoinix gold amps i watch a co named parts express customer service is top notch and if u watch the clearance u can get awesome deal if your a do it yourself crutchfield is great and boxs can b built by the novice just dont rush or buy cheap wood aka mdf i use as trhick as possible and brace brace brace sorry for the ranble have a great day people
post #176 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Is something burning?..

Garage
I have a friend at school that has 3 15" Solobarics.
They are effin' crazy
XD

-Jonathan
The DD:2016 Mustang Ecoboost 2.3-12.9@106
1995 Thunderbird LX

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/m...jlangton2.html

generated by sloganizer.net

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.