lets talk subs..... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
lets talk subs.....

lets face it.....when it comes to us younger-types looking for a "system", it usually means adding some subwoofers

i know a lot of you have notice i take a particular interest in discussing subs.....particularly my XXX, and about other 'super' subs

i know most don't have the full mathematical, nor physics inclination to fully understand it, but i am linking here a paper written by Dr. Wolfgang Klippel that discusses certain aspects of subwoofer performance, mainly distortion and sound quality and how they are intertwined

the other links lead to Adire Audio's website......they are the ones who created the XBL^2 motor topology that was first incarnated in the now famous Brahma Series, and then in the Resonant Engineering XXX series....this patented motor topology is directly derived from the empircal information collected by Dr. Klippel

http://www.klippel.de/pubs/aes2000/k...aper%20109.htm

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2TechPaper.pdf

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2DetailsPaper.pdf

another good link:

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Tech...ooferSpeed.pdf

fire away with any questions!
post #2 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
This isn't a question, but rather a thanks for posting this. I guess I am just interested in this sort of thing, but haven't ever taken the time to look anything up. Not that I would have know who was a good source anyway. Again, Thanks.

Russell
post #3 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally posted by BlingMeter
betteraudio.com uses the same technology.
true.....they were the 3rd company, i believe, to license XBL^2 technology from Adire......by now, i'd guess there'd be like 5-10, just not all publically known
post #4 of 176 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 05:37 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to DeeDeeArrGuy Send a message via Yahoo to DeeDeeArrGuy
Volfenhag good or bad?

0 0
\/\/\/
/\/\/\
Impossible is for people with no imagination.
1996 Silver Ford Thunderbird LX 3.6

3" Cold Air Intake
K&N Cone Filter
Removed Air Silencer
2.25" Dual Exhaust Cat-Back
Dixie Air Horn =]
Pioneer 3600 Head Unit
Soundstream Tarantula 2 5"x7" & 2 6"x9"
2 Volfenhag 800W Comp Subwoofers
Lanzar 428 4-channel Amplifier
Volfenhag 2000W 2-channel Amplifier
post #5 of 176 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

depends what you compare them to.........
post #6 of 176 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 06:53 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to DeeDeeArrGuy Send a message via Yahoo to DeeDeeArrGuy
lets say pioneer 10s compaired to volfenhag 10s. the thing i hear about volfenhags is taht they hit hard and have a fair continuous bass but thats the only draw back is that they cant handle continuous bass

0 0
\/\/\/
/\/\/\
Impossible is for people with no imagination.
1996 Silver Ford Thunderbird LX 3.6

3" Cold Air Intake
K&N Cone Filter
Removed Air Silencer
2.25" Dual Exhaust Cat-Back
Dixie Air Horn =]
Pioneer 3600 Head Unit
Soundstream Tarantula 2 5"x7" & 2 6"x9"
2 Volfenhag 800W Comp Subwoofers
Lanzar 428 4-channel Amplifier
Volfenhag 2000W 2-channel Amplifier
post #7 of 176 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

post #8 of 176 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 02:09 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ThunderBeast86
Guitar Maestro-

I really want superb sound quality, but STRONG and HARD HITTING SPL. I was planning on going with a single 12" XXX in a ported, but now i'm leaning towards TWO 12" IDMAX in a sealed enclosure. How would the two set-ups compare? The XXX would get 1500 watts rms, then IDMAXs would get 750 watts RMS each. Either way.....if it's close, would the 2 IDMAXs in a sealed still deliver completely solid bass?
Would they be louder than 2 12" MTX Thunder 8000's, well I know they would, but by how much?

Thanks,
Brian

2.25" True Dual Catless DI/DO Magnaflow Exhaust, Eibach Springs, Addco 1 3/8", J-mod, Viper 791 Alarm, Clarion 855 full color touch-screen, Directed 2400 amp , 2 12" CV Strokers with a custom ported box, K&N air filter, 180* T-Stat, Xcal2 SCT TUNED BY LONNIE 17 x 7.5 (245/45/17) Chrome Cobra R's, 17x9 in back(275/40/17)
DOHC sitting in the garage
Teksid 2v plans?!?!
Tranny Cooler, Dual Remote Oil Filter waiting for install
post #9 of 176 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

with those two setups, since power would be equal, they would probably be identical as long as the two IDMAXs are still operating linearly

how much louder they would be than the MTX depends how hard the MTX are being driven......if they are being driven outside their linear operating range and the IDMAXs are not, the difference could be as much as 2-3 dB.....but there are lots of variables
post #10 of 176 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 07:01 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to jarends00
the IDMAX's will sound good and be pretty loud, but if you look at your cost involved, you would be waaaaay ahead in money by getting an XXX. one XXX is very much the same price as a single IDMAX. also, Image Dynamics has very ****ty return times for their products if you toast one. this comes from a dealer where i used to go to school and also my friend that used to do SPL comps.

Wiz

I keep bodies in my trunk for traction.
post #11 of 176 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 08:38 AM
4th Gear Poster

Sub preference

If you want to bang out of your Bird, go with a Phonenix Gold Amp, zero gauge wire and Kicker 12 - 15in subs. You will deaf or brain damaged in no time at all.

Fly Low, Fly Fast, Fly Ford Forever!!!

Stock 94 block, Richard M intake tube, C&L 73mm MAF, BBK 75mm TB, Port matched elbow, 9 in K&N in the fender well, Diablo chip, M8 flywheel and TQ, FOrd racing underdrive pullies, NGK plugs, FRPP 3:73, auburn limited slip diff, 2.5in exhaust from manifolds back into Dynamax SS mufflers.
post #12 of 176 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 08:32 PM
13s or broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN12-Blackbird
If you want to bang out of your Bird, go with a Phonenix Gold Amp, zero gauge wire and Kicker 12 - 15in subs. You will deaf or brain damaged in no time at all.
but if you actually wanna hear somthing that resembles music get somthing else just messin with ya
post #13 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I think Orion first used XBL^2 technology if i'm not mistaken. Of course, it wasn't called that back then and they didn't get a patent.

3.8mustang stereo moderator
post #14 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayls5
I think Orion first used XBL^2 technology if i'm not mistaken. Of course, it wasn't called that back then and they didn't get a patent.
the brahma was introduced much prior to the H2 with it's dual-gap design....when the brahma was first being introduced, even prior to its release, there was never any mention of Orion having used this type of topology beforehand.....unless i somehow missed it.....i followed the whole XBL^2 movement when it first came out, and don't recall a single time anyone had referred to Orion
post #15 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:42 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro
the brahma was introduced much prior to the H2 with it's dual-gap design....when the brahma was first being introduced, even prior to its release, there was never any mention of Orion having used this type of topology beforehand.....unless i somehow missed it.....i followed the whole XBL^2 movement when it first came out, and don't recall a single time anyone had referred to Orion

Yea i've been in the game since the beginning as well. I'm going strictly on hear-say with that comment. My friend told me it a while back and i never bothered to research it.

I'm wondering how orion gets away with the dual gap design use.

post #16 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

oh ok i see....i seriously doubt it...reason is: a while back like 1.5-2 years ago, someone leaked out info that DEI was handed a lawsuit of some sort from Adire......u won't find the posts, since they were probably deleted, since it was supposed to be confidential information

Adire does believe it infringes their rights, even though i believe the patent to Adire has not been issued yet.......so DEI is not suing Adire, rather its the other way around.....if Orion had developed multiple-gap topology, i would have guess that Adire would be getting sued
post #17 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:57 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro
oh ok i see....i seriously doubt it...reason is: a while back like 1.5-2 years ago, someone leaked out info that DEI was handed a lawsuit of some sort from Adire......u won't find the posts, since they were probably deleted, since it was supposed to be confidential information

Adire does believe it infringes their rights, even though i believe the patent to Adire has not been issued yet.......so DEI is not suing Adire, rather its the other way around.....if Orion had developed multiple-gap topology, i would have guess that Adire would be getting sued

The DEI lawsuit rings a bell but i can't seem to remember for sure lol.

Oh yea, it's "patent pending" still, haha

post #18 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 07:26 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to TbirdSims
You cant go wrong with 1 JL W7 Sub, just one made the whole shop i get my stuff installed at shake, one guy with an suv got 2, he came back and said his deck kept skipping, the owner laughed and told him, i told you 1 would be enough, so he had to lower the sub setting on his deck, and the damn things still pounded JL all the way!

Hayden Trans Cooler, R2C Cold Air intake, BBK Tuned Shortie Headers, Pypes High Flow Cats, Flowmaster 40's, SCT VMP Custom Tune, 06 spinner center caps, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Smoked Fogs, Blackout headlight covers, 8000K HID Headlights, Sequential Tails.
post #19 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

me from one of the threads:

"good god....

http://realmofexcursion.com/videos/R...ng/xmx12.1.wmv

its not the XMX....some dufus thougt it was...its the new un-named sub from RE going to war against the air infront of it....and air is loosing.....bad"

its just so awesome...lol

Last edited by guitar maestro; 02-17-2005 at 12:19 AM.
post #20 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 09:56 PM
PostWhore

i have 2 12' Rockford Punch Z subs in a box and a 400W Rockfors amp......does anyone know how it stack up in general as being good subs or not? they are the only subs i have had so i can't say that i liked them over some other brand....this sorts thing isn't my forte. only think i know is bigger subs with more watts = loud lol

thanks guys

most people talk, but few are up for the moment
-where there's money and imagination, there's cool cars
ohhh the Junkyard , one man's trash is another man's treasure

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #21 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 10:07 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to jackpriceisgod
you dont need 2 subs or a big *** amp or high rated subs to sound good. i have a 12 audiobahn 400rms/800 peak sub in a self made ported box pushed by a sony xplod 1200 watt 2 channel amp. i made the box to the exact specs audibahn asked for, and wired it for maximum output. when ur inside teh car, you cant turn the volume up too loud because when u leave ull hear a rining in ur ears for hours. it hits so low u can feel ur bones rattle on the big hits. its all about the acoustics, what box, and how u place ur sub. u could buy a cheap dual sub from best buy with a cheap pioneer amp, wire it right, make a perfect box, and have it sound bad ***.
post #22 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 10:10 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to jackpriceisgod
i have 2 12' Rockford Punch Z subs in a box and a 400W Rockfors amp......does anyone know how it stack up in general as being good subs or not? they are the only subs i have had so i can't say that i liked them over some other brand....this sorts thing isn't my forte. only think i know is bigger subs with more watts = loud lol

thanks guys

im almost sure that the amp u have isnt powerful enough to get the most out of ur speakers. buy another one of those amps and bridge them or get a more powerful amp, and im sure it will sound 100 times better
post #23 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpriceisgod
im almost sure that the amp u have isnt powerful enough to get the most out of ur speakers. buy another one of those amps and bridge them or get a more powerful amp, and im sure it will sound 100 times better

whoa, whoa, whoa there buddy.......you dont even know if his Punch Z's are 4 ohm or 8 ohm, if his RF amp is 400W RMS, or peak.....2-channel or 4-channel........unless you already know the specifics of his particular equipment, your suggestion to "buy another amp and bridge them..." should be placed on a window ledge incase it has to be thrown out

he is how you begin to give good advice:

first you ask (if its not already known) how many subs are involved

then you ask what the impedance is of each sub, and whether or not they have multiple coils

then you ask how much power each sub can take continuously

.......how many channels the amplifier has

.......how much power the amplifier puts out to each channel at its lowest rated impedance

THEN, assuming you know the relationships between amplifier power output, voice coil configurations, you can start to give you're opinion as to what may be a better setup, and EXACTLY why it would be a better setup
post #24 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 07:46 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Nikman
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpriceisgod
wire it right, make a perfect box, and have it sound bad ***.
First... How do you wire it the right way to allow it to reach it's max performance?

Second... What exactly does a perfect box need to reach that status?

I'm not well informed about audio equiptment, so a little help may allow my money to travel a little farther.

Does anyone have spare headlights or corner lights for a cougar?
questions/ comments E-mail nikman1@hotmail.com
pictures of my cat at: http://nikman.zoto.com/user/cat_summary/CAT.1
post #25 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikman
First... How do you wire it the right way to allow it to reach it's max performance?
by knowing the relationships between amplifier output and voice coil impedance, and a particular amplifier's capabilities, a particular system can be optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikman
Second... What exactly does a perfect box need to reach that status?

to make a Perfect box would require actually measuring the subwoofer's parameters which are used to calculate its performance........that is the relatively easy part....the hard part is deciding what size box and tuning to use......this is more of an art than it is a science, since it usually takes years of experience to really know what works for a particular combination of parameters

most people dont have the equip./software or know-how to do any of this, so people usually resort to pre-built boxes, and manufacturers recommendations in the owner's manuals, since those are usually compromised for overall generally good performance
post #26 of 176 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Mr. Jiggy Fly

Question......Audiobahn, are they good or bad, i know their subs are popular, because they look nice, but how about quality??? I am noticing that several stores on ebay are selling a pair of 12" audiobahn subs for like $50.00 a pair?? Is this a good deal??

Jmod, Mark VIII 4R70W tranny, Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft, 03 Marauder TC and Flexplate, True Dual Exhaust with High Flow Magnaflow Cats, and midmount DI/DO Magnaflow Muffler, 18" Slash Cut Chrome Tips, AC Compressor Delete Pulley, 180 Degrees T-Stat, Scott White Faced Guages,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanatic
yeah well my car doesn't run on chocolate so who cares.
post #27 of 176 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Autotooner
I have two 10" MTX Audio subs, and a Pyramid 1000 Watt amp... it just doesn't seem to have much power... my brother's Taurus SHO with the Mach audio system sounds better... any suggestions as to how to make them sound better?

Hi I'm Jason, how do you like me so far?
"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, If it wasn't for GM, all the tools would rust."
post #28 of 176 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

well if they are not in a custom-built box, that would be one step that can be taken........Pyramid amps dont put out 1000W even if lightning stuck them......so getting a better amp is practically mandatory

how much are you willing to do to optimize what you have?
post #29 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Poster

if i was to suggest anything to any one about car audio its this, dont buy the name buy the product, there are some brands out there that just suck, ie sony, it consistenly puts out garbage. But there are some brands that dont get any real reconition cause they dont have the advertisement and whats nots, such brands, Mobile audio, clif designs, visonik (top of line stuff only). These brands arnt out ragesly expensive and will out preform, pioneer sony, jbl, any day. Amps make crappy subs sound decent, but a good amp with a good sub is something unbeleivable. I run a mono block ma 1800watt amp to 2 12in clif design compo subs. honestly is comparable to the sound of a jl w3 combo.
post #30 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 11:13 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Autotooner
I got it fixed... seems that some wires were mixed up between the cd player and the amp... it hits great now...

Hi I'm Jason, how do you like me so far?
"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, If it wasn't for GM, all the tools would rust."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.