TCCoA Forums banner

4.6 intake manifold options?!

13K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  Woodman 
#1 ·
I know a 4.6 truck intake wont clear our hoods, but does anyone have flow #s on any of them? Which year truck intake would be best for a SOHC 4.6? What about the SVO? What is the best production intake I could put on my car? Thanks
-Rob

#3 ·
Awesome, I'll go try to check out his website. Thanks
-Rob

#5 ·
Use caution with the Reichard manifold; its application is for boosted all out raceing, and makes hp at the expense of torque...... it will add considerably more tahn 15 hp with boost , but will never find favor as a street application in its present configuration, but the design is such that they might change things and come up with a good street application in the future.... the svo manifold is available for non PI apps, the Bullit is for the PI apps... both have the advantage of being aluminum, which is adaptable, in that its machinable, so porting, polishing, etc are possible... You may even be able to add spacers to the lower plenum, and change the characteristics a bit, but the manifold situation on mudulars is pretty much all ford , no spectacular hp advances good luck

#6 ·
Ok cool. Looks like I'll just wait aroud so I can afford an SVO for NPI heads. I thought the SVO intake added about 35HP according to Ford. What about torque on the SVO? Who has ran the truck intake on a basically stock 4.6? Thanks
-Rob

#7 ·
I have a similar question.

From which car could I get a set of heads and instake for my Crown Vic? Hood clearance is not important. I like road racing, so I'm interested in better high end. Good idle is not important either. BTW: I'm only interested in something that I can get from a junk yard.

#8 ·
Rob, I wouldnt even go there ... some pre 99 truck manifolds were alum.... the prob is that with height you get the longer runners that make early torq, and unless you have a split plenum with valving like a 99 5.4, they do not make decent H.P. , especially at higher rpms....Truck manifolds are great for grunt early on, but up somewhere after 4000- 4500 rpm they start to fizzle out

#9 ·
So the SVO intake is probably a better choice that running a truck intake (with hood modifications?) Thanks
-Rob

#10 ·
go for the SVO manifold, there may be some clearance issues with the hood so some braces may need to come out. Also, its been a while but i remember KD mentioning to me that the EGR needs to be welded in on the manifold. Unfortunately, the manifold aint cheap, i would try the corral classifieds and ebay, i remember there was a guy selling a bullitt manifold he said awas port matched for NPI heads.

joseph

#11 ·
I thought there was an install kit for the SVO intake that included EGR stuff. Welding the EGR in...damn thats just horrible. I'd try to tap some holes and bolt it up. Thanks
-Rob

#12 ·

(SVO Intake, pic from FRPP website).

NRL has the SVO intake, so you'd probably wanna get a hold of him. I forget if he had any problems or not (I've not talked with him in a while).

I've seen the Reichard intake up close. It looks good. It made some goooooood power on an '03 GT. Too bad the car cracked a head (too much boost I guess).

#13 ·
The welding that needs to be done is to the EGR tube, not the manifold. The EGR valve is farther forward so you need a longer tube. No you cannot use the one from the install kit, a Mustang EGR tube goes to the driver's side.

You have to hack out a lot of hood bracing and it will still be right against the outer skin of the hood where the boot goes over the throttle body.

#14 ·
Awesome. Making an EGR pipe ain't no thang :). So I don't need the install kit? I guess SVO intake is on my wish list now. Thanks guys
-Rob

#16 ·
That thread's over 13 years old; some of those guys are still here, tho.

:grin2:

Reactions: CDsDontBurn
#17 ·
Trick Flow also has intake manifolds for the Modular now, and they should work very well with Trick Flow heads.

Since it's a very old thread, may as well update it with current info, right?

#18 ·
holy mother of god thread revival.

I was wondering about an intake manifold upgrade aswell. I was looking at Trickflow street burner or the typhoon intake. I've heard some negitive things about the typhoon intake, but it is half the price of the Trickflow. That may be for a good reason, also the typhoon intake does not have the second coolent temp sensor hole.

Links

Professional Products Satin Typhoon Mustang Intake Manifold 54061 (99-04 GT) - Free Shipping

Trick Flow® StreetBurner® EFI Intake Manifolds for Ford 4.6L 2V TFS-51811000 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

#20 ·
Nice that the street burner has both coolant temp holes already too.

#19 ·
The Typhoon is a copy of the stock PI plastic manifold.
The Typhoon can be taken apart and fully ported.

The Street Burner can be taken apart to be fully ported as well.
The runners a shorter than the stockers for a higher rpm range.

If your not going to run TFS heads or ported PI, NPI heads stick with a plastic stocker.

But nitrous or a centrifugal supercharger should have a aluminum intake manifold.

But, what do I know.

Reactions: Woodman
#21 ·
Doesn't the Trick Flow require a cowl hood for clearance? Or is that just if you have a 94-95?

Al

#23 ·
95 and 95 will dimple my , I mean the hood.
The alternator mounts backward, using a bracket supplied with the
intake manifold.
That's what hits the hood on a 94-95 cougar.
A T-Bird might have enough clearance.
Looking at the picture on the TCCOA header.

96 and 97 have enough clearance.

#26 ·
In your guys opinion what would be the best option for my build? I have;

Stage 2 cams with upgraded springs

Ported pi heads

Forged rods

Forged notched Pistons @ 10.5/1 comp.

Cast crank

Midlength headers

I know I can't go wrong with the trickflow streetburner, but at its price of almost a grand should I just find a roush/svo supercharger?

#27 ·
Supercharger + high compression = E85 or Race Gas only.

One of the guys on the Facebook TCCoA page has a stock 2V bottom end with 38CC Trick Flow heads and ported PI intake with Comp Cams XE270AH and a 3800 DD stall who is putting out 316 RWHP on pump gas, that's approximately 400 on the crank. With your setup, I don't think the intake is holding you back as much as the cams.

#30 ·
You've already got 10.3 or so compression. That alone requires 91 octane. Add another 8psi of pressure, that ups the tendency to pre-ignite dramatically.

If you put NPI heads on, then the blower, you could stick with 91 octane. PI heads on an NPI block and a blower, I wouldn't run anything less than E-85 (approx 100-105 octane), but it'll cost you MPG and require a more robust fuel system.

Reactions: ogbird95
#29 ·
You would require less octane and make more power with lower compression and higher boost.

Al

Reactions: Woodman
#32 ·
I don't know how much a blower setup costs, but you can get trick flow heads, ported PI intake, Comp Cams 262AH, and Kooks headers you get damn close to 400 HP at the crank, which is about 317 or so at the rear wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.