TCCoA Forums - View Single Post - There's a New Bird In Town

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Squidman

Garage
Yeah the car did look good silver but the cowl hood was a different shade and the clear coat on the roof started to fade so that's why I painted the top blue. The two tone has grown on me though. I will probably repaint it at some point in time but I'm happy with how it looks for now.

Also, Thanks MadMikey for the info on the 351w swap. I didn't know that you only needed the motor mounts. I read a lot about the history of the 351w and it seems to me that in the 90's they began making provisions for rollers to be installed but they didn't come stock on the motor. However in 96 they did in fact come stock with rollers and lifters instead of flat tappets. In 96 the 351w also came with multiport EFI and a MAF sensor.

It would seem to me that if I took a 351w out of a 96 Bronco, F250, or E250 then it would be able to use the same wiring harness as the 91-93 5.0 HO Thunderbirds. If that is true then I would just buy a 93 wiring harness and retrofit it to my car. Then I would be able to still use an mn12 wiring harness and have efi on the pushrod 351w. Not sure what I would do for a transmission for the 351w and I know I would have to get a custom driveshaft.

On the other hand there is the 4.6 DOHC motor which is basically a directed bolt in. If I went through the trouble of putting in the DOHC motor then I would switch to the 05+ TR3650 manual transmission. From what I have read the TR3650 lines up the shifter perfectly center with the hole in the trans tunnel compared to the T45. I would then use the SC clutch pedal assembly and a centerforce flywheel. It also looks like you might be able to use a Crown Vic driveshaft with slight modification.

I can see why the 4.10s might be to high for the manual trans. But as of right now the overdrive on the 4r70w is really low so I don't think it would be to much of an increase with the automatic trans at the moment. Once I swap the motor I will probably return to the 3.27's that are in the car now. I know how to set the backlash and mesh pattern/spacing of the gears in the rear end so It's not a big job to go back to the 3.27's if need be.

The biggest thing for me is that the 351w will respond good to mods and is easy and cheap to build because it only has 1 cam. On the other hand the 4.6 DOHC probably has more potential supercharged but it is much more expensive due to the fact that it has 4 cams. I had also looked into the 5.4 2V and the 4V navi motor but I think that those motors would be a little to big for the car. I have the 2.5 inch cowl hood so I don't think height will be an issue for the 351w or the 4.6 DOHC with a supercharger but I can't decide which motor I want to put in the car. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2847.JPG (1.29 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2912.JPG (1.34 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2941.JPG (1.66 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2959.JPG (1.67 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2981.JPG (2.12 MB, 3 views)

Kevin O.
94 Thunderbird Lx

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 02-01-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Format for easier reading

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome