TCCoA Forums - View Single Post - Finally biting the bullet. Er, cobra...

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
theterminator93
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Finally biting the bullet. Er, cobra...

So last year after I got an alignment after doing tie rods, the shop (morons) overtightened the lug nuts on one side and it warped the rotor pretty badly. I've also had a sneaking suspicion that the used 15" PBRs I got close to 7 or 8 years ago weren't releasing well causing drag too, and with the 17" wheels I've had for years now I've been on-and-off wanting to do the 13" brake upgrade.

The perfect opportunity has presented itself as a result of procrastination!

I've collected all the parts in my RockAuto cart - reman OEM calipers with brackets for a 99 Mach 1 from Cardone without any graphics or writing, and Raybestos's "Advanced Technology" non drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads. One thing I haven't really seen covered however is the topic of replacing the splash shields.

I don't really drive the car in ANY conditions other than dry and sunny anymore, so it's not a terribly major oversight if I skip it entirely. However, last year the bottom half of the shield on one side broke off and I've neglected to reattach it or repair it due to ... procrastination. So here again, good opportunity to address that with new parts.

I see these larger splash shields available for sale, but has anyone tried making one fit on our spindles, or know if it'd likely work with either no or minor modifications?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 235k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome