TCCoA Forums - View Single Post - tbird 5.0 swap "the hard way"

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:02 AM
S4gunn
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
I assume you mean REAR 02 sensor delete? Because EFI needs the fronts to properly work.

How invested are you in ignition right now? If you wanted to, rather than using a distributor you could convert the engine to DIS using the cam sensor, bracketry and wires from a 96-01 Explorer and use your stock 4.6 coilpacks and computer to run the whole setup with a custom tune. That kills quite a few birds with one stone - NO new ECM, NO rewiring of the harness going to the ECM(connectors and wiring between EEC IV and V are totally different), Controls the 4R70w, reuse packs, and have much stronger and reliable spark than any aftermarket dizzy setup. That's how I'd do it
That sounds like a brilliant idea to mesh your re-use of a 5.0 with the problem of 4r70w transmission control.

That sounds like a brilliant idea to mesh your re-use of a 5.0 with the problem of 4r70w transmission control.

In reading the OPs post again, I assume he's looking at a 94-95 MUSTANG (vs a tbird) ECU.
I know from experience that a 94-95 Mustang ECU will work in a 95 tbird chassis with only a few pins going into the ECU which are different.
However, isn't the 94-95 Mustang automatic transmission AODE vs 4r70w?
If an aftermarket standalone transmission controller is required, that's $600 right there.
The Quick 4 Transmission Control System

If the 94-95 mustang ECU cannot control a 4r70w, in your shoes, I'd go to the JY to pull those parts off a scuzzy explorer to save $500 or so.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome