TCCoA Forums - View Single Post - Staggered Wheels, Sway Bars, and Oversteer

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:37 PM
Woodman
PostWhore

Garage
I agree with the above... Ditch the 225's.

My setup is as follows, most work done by Traveler before he sold me the car.

Mark VIII rear lower control arms, Mark VIII pumpkin with 3.73TL, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft. Eibach springs, 1.5" drop. Poly IRS bushings, I installed Energy Suspension knuckle bushings as mine were worn out.
I have 89 SC front and rear sway bars. Shock connectors front and rear, and I added 18x9 35mm offset wheels with 255/40/18 tires. The 255 is a great width, no rubbing issues (as long as you don't route your oil filter lines too close to the tire, DOH!) and again, I like them balanced all around as I don't need to tune out any additional understeer with more sway. You don't "need" as much sway in the rear as you do the front due to the weight balance, so a lesser diameter bar in the rear is fine. I LOVE going around corners, and this car corners better than my previous 97 (which was all stock), my 99 Mustang GT (which was VERY twitchy). I'm stable, comfortable, not too much stiffness, just right. I can feel the road under my butt, and I corner flat unless I'm pushing VERY hard. I haven't gotten it to wag it's tail unless it's wet or I'm too gas happy when turning while going from 1st to 2nd, and that was on the bald tires I got it with. On my new tires, she sticks and holds the road like glue. Very stable, very confident.

As much as I appreciate the exhibition of control when drifting, it doesn't interest me. I prefer to just go around the corners very quickly, with minimal fuss. I will admit, it's fun passing Mustangs and Corvettes on the inside at 20 or so above the posted limit in a corner like you're not trying. Precision is my goal, and my car is VERY precise (from my limited point of view).

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
PI Swapped NPI motor with some port work on the heads, PI cams, 80mm MAF, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome