TCCoA Forums - View Single Post - B&M AT Cooler Install Location & Details Needed

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Glenn
3rd Gear Poster

Well, I guess we do not have many TB owner's interested in installing a AT cooler. But, since I have a progressively worsening shuddering I am trying to lower the AT temperature so I can get some more life out of the AT. I am also going to change the AT fluid to Mercon V and change the AT filter. So hopefully this will give me a few more years of life out of the AT since I can not afford to rebuilt it.

The B&M Cooler is a nice piece. I installed a larger B&M cooler on my 2003 S/C MM (500 HP - 11.70 sec in the 1/4 mile, 4500#). It really helped the AT temperature - never over 180 even when running and on hot days in GA. I have some cooler install pictures attached, but they are not very good. I installed the cooler several inches in front of the condenser rather then on top of it that most people may do. I had to remove the complete hood latch mechanism and bracket to install the cooler and route the hoses which became the hardest part of the install (see pictures). I routed the AT cooler hoses basically following the PS cooler hoses. I have one question which I hope someone can help me - is there is concern running the AT cooler hoses next to the PS hoses. Is the PS fuild running at a higher temperature then the AT cooler hoses?

The first picture is the AT cooler shot from above the hood release bracket (removed).

The second is the AT cooler hoses running next to the PS hoses (located at the very bottom of the radiator location).

Third is the hoses running up the side of the radiator to the top of the radiator AT cooler.

Thanks for any comments.

Glenn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0418 R.JPG (115.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0420 R.JPG (123.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0421 R.JPG (89.2 KB, 2 views)

1996 TB LX, 4.6, 120,000 miles, black with tan interior.
Dark tint and OEM "Sport" spoiler.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome