Johnny Langton Crash Investigation Updates - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
I could care less if this woman dies because it still wont bring him back. I never met the guy and I even feel his loss. THe only thing that I can say went right was he spread his oats enough so one day a descendant will bring honor to his memory I hope through motorsports just like JL himself. I think it might be in his blood to be so mechanically inclined thats why I say that.
That statement wasn't implying she is going to get the death penalty - AAMOF, I'm sure she won't; it was just a response what laws were in Conn.

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #32 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:34 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
That statement wasn't implying she is going to get the death penalty - AAMOF, I'm sure she won't; it was just a response what laws were in Conn.
No problem man Im just airing my feelings about it and death in general. Sometimes I think people dont even know what those(feelings) are anymore, not a jab at you btw or anyone here. I sure hope others closer can get the grieving and closure they need to carry with life and at the same time celebrate his too short yet full life. I know his family would prefer justice so I wouldnt want to be the one to refute their wishes. Like I said just airing my thoughts. No offense to anyone who may read more into it.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #33 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Found an intertesing article; not about the driver that hit Johnny, but about the cable barrier that launched her into his vehicle.

... still waiting for her name to be released and hear what the charges are going to be.

Quote:
Friday, December 30, 2011

About cable barrier....

In light of this week's tragic wreck on Eastex Freeway, questions have been asked about whether cable barrier is the best solution for stopping cross-over wrecks.

For those of you not familiar with what happened, 36 year old Johnny Langton of Warren, TX, lost his life after a jeep crossed the median and hit his pickup truck head-on. This occurred, despite the fact there is a cable barrier system along that stretch of highway.

Some say a concrete barrier would have prevented the wreck. Others say cable barrier is the best prevention. What is best? Well, it depends on a lot of factors.

There is one very important fact to remember: No barrier technology exists that will eliminate every wreck. As long as there are vehicles and drivers there will, unfortunately, always be crashes. What transportation officials do is try to reduce the number and impact of those wrecks with the latest technologies available.

Much research goes into testing each device. Engineers do not install protection barrier without it first being test, evaluated and certified to meet specific criteria. Traffic safety engineers spend a lot of time...and money...testing barriers to see how each device operates.

CONCRETE TRAFFIC BARRIER

Despite what some believe, concrete traffic barrier is not always the best solution. Concrete barrier is designed to redirect, slow or stop an errant vehicle, and many times will push the vehicle back into traffic. In other words, it redirects the vehicle back into its travel lane...and into the vehicles around it. Also, concrete barrier is not impenetrable. There have been quite a few instances in our district where vehicles have actually gone over the barrier and into the oncoming lanes. When a vehicle hits concrete barrier there is a good probability it will take out the vehicles around it.

METAL GUARDRAIL

Metal guardrail works very much the same way as concrete traffic barrier except that it is metal supported by wooden or metal posts. However, this type of system is much more high maintenance, as once the metal guardrail is hit, it must be replaced.

WIRE CABLE BARRIER

Cable barrier works very much like the arresting cable that stops airplanes landing on aircraft carriers. Unlike concrete traffic barrier, it cushions the blow, slows the vehicle without throwing it back into traffic, and minimizes the forces on the vehicle and its occupants by absorbing most of the energy of the crash. That is a huge improvement over concrete and metal barrier. Also, research has shown that cable barrier reduces crossover crash fatalities by 90% or more. Many tragic wrecks are avoided by using cable barrier...wrecks that nobody ever hears about because the driver hits the barrier and drives away. We have evidence of this by the amount of repairs made to the cable barrier every week by our maintenance forces. Wire cable barrier has stopped not only cars, but speeding 18-wheelers. And earlier this year, cable barrier stopped a bus from crossing over into the median on I-10 near Winnie.

Is there a perfect barrier system that will stop all wrecks? Unfortunately, no. Not even cable barrier will do that. This latest tragic wreck on Eastex Freeway proves that. However, what engineers must do is use the latest technologies to try and reduce the impact of wrecks taking place on the highway. So far, cable barrier seems to do the job far better than the other systems available. One veteran transportation engineer went so far as to say cable barrier is "the best safety improvement I have seen in my 30 years with the department."

Hopefully, one day someone will invent the perfect system. Until then, however, transportation departments around the world must use the latest tools available. And drivers must do their part to drive safely and responsibly.

Marc S.

http://txdotbeaumont.blogspot.com/

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #34 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeh, I read that about a week ago while looking for the woman's name that caused the fatality and what, if any, charges were filed.....

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #35 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 12:34 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
We have had a lot of cable barriers installed in our area. One nearby mountain grade that was historically dangerous had the cable barriers installed first. While I believe they can prevent crossover accidents to a large extent, they are far from perfect. In some instances where a vehicle may otherwise harmlessly enter the median, they impact the cable barrier with more severe consequences.

I have to wonder also if cost is not often a factor in the choice of traffic barriers.
post #36 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 AM
MAMN12 Posse Member

In WV a handful of years back, WV expanded Interstate 81 to 3 lanes. They installed cable barriers in the center between the directions of traffic. After several accidents, some including tractor trailers, that ended in serious injuries or worse, they tore all the cable barriers out last year and put in a huge concrete barrier the whole way. I'm sure cost has a lot to do with it...there's no way anyone can think those are a safe way to stop a car.

~Jeff

1995 Thunderbird SC - 5-speed - Stock/rebuild for now
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6L SOHC - N/A - 12.79@104.1mph *sold*
2014 F150 FX4 - 3.5TT Daily toy
2016 Fusion Titanium - 2.0T/AWD

post #37 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 AM
2nd Gear Poster

I am sold on the cable barriers. On one of my recent trips from Las Vegas to Salt Lake, I saw one arrest a tractor-trailer. Tore the crap out of the tractor but kept it from coming into oncoming traffic.
post #38 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 PM
On Probation

I hope that she receives the punishment that she deserves. I am sure she will but it might not be on this earth.

Last edited by blown96bird; 04-19-2012 at 08:41 PM.
post #39 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 02:51 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Nah, make the drunk drink gasoline and then light her cigarette.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #40 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Any information on the fate of the woman at fault? Whether or not she was or wasn't intoxicated and what course of action the authorities plan to take?

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #41 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I was wondering this too because I heard that the reports of her driving erratically were possibly made by those that didn't see that a truck had dropped a big chunk of concrete in her path. We have family in Houston and that is all I have been able to find out without bothering anyone too close to the situation.

Can't find anything on the web anywhere news wise. I look almost daily.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #42 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
Wow... I'm getting here late in the game. I haven't been very active in the forums. But this hits hard. JL was probably one of the first dealings I had with TCCOA. RIP Johnny. Gonna miss seeing you around here. I've lost 2 friends in the last month.

Drunk Driving is probably my number 1 pet peeve. I think you should rot in jail for doing it and I think you should be tortured to death if you kill someone while doing it. NC guy got off pretty easy in my opinion. He spent less than a year in jail and was ordered to carry a picture of the girl he killed in his wallet. What kind of effin punishment is that? NO tolerance for Drinking and driving over in my world. Screw this crap.

My prayers go out to all affected by his passing and may God watch over them all and accept Johnny into his wonderful Kingdom. Take care Johnny.

96 Thunderbird Specs

Project Under Construction
post #43 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Has anybody heard anything about the crash investigation?

I've been looking online from time to time for weeks and haven't seen a thing about it online.

Did they not charge the lady for some reason?

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #44 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

See, I am probably WAAYYYY wrong because it's third party, but some family we have that lives near there seemed to think that the driver that hit him was a victim as well. I was told that the reports of her driving erratically were because there was suddenly a big chunk of concrete in the road in front of her that fell out of a truck. According to what I heard she swerved to miss it and that was where the reports of her swerving came from.

That said, I definitely want to know what really happene and I have also been watching the news and haven't seen a single report of anything. I can't find a mention of any results from the investigation at all. That kind of leads me to believe that what I heard might have some truth to it. I would think if the lady were intoxicated or texting and driving that there would have been at least some mention of it somewhere. I know that around here it would have been covered repeatedly.

If anyone knows anything factual then I am sure there are several around who want to know what really happened.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #45 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Expect this to take at least 6months to 2 years before you get a real answer--unless you get the police report yourself, which would mean talking directly to his wife. IMHO not the most polite thing to do.

When I was hit by my first drunk (KOed for 4hrs and Life Flight) the official report took about 3 months.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #46 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
Man this is crazy. Ive been off the forums for some time now amd i had no idea untill justinH told me. Prayers with his family. Makes ya think about how fast something can go wrong and claim and destroy people's lives.

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/20-parts-sale/132585-95-parts-xenon-body-kit.html
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95
post #47 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:17 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
I've been following this thread for awhile now and all I can say is my prayers are with JL's family and friends. I really hope the woman in the jeep was a victim as well; it won't change the outcome, but at least the accident wouldn't have been the result of somebody's wanton stupidity.

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #48 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
When I got hit by a drunk driver and totaled out the 94, it took a few months for them to convict her. IIRC, she got 5 yrs for manslaughter since her passenger died after being thrown from their vehicle. If the woman really was trying to avoid a huge chunk of concrete though, things do happen One time on 290 leaving Houston I almost ran over a ladder laying in the road. That couldve been dangerous!

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts 14.56@90.54MPH
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Inject tech chip, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with Tru-X core, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #49 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 04:12 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to BIG PERV
WOW! Just WOW!

Haven't been around for awhile, Uncle Sam sux. First time I am hearing about Johnny, RIP brother.
post #50 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
http://www.12newsnow.com/story/16406...eastex-freeway

Just wanted to post an update on the investigation that I had missed. Apparently this information updated on 2-15-12. It appears that there could be too at fault, obviously they are still saying the woman was driving erratically however they now mention that a cement truck dropped a large chunk of concrete onto the highway which is what sent the Jeep airborne.

I still miss Johnny, he was a wealth of information and a great man. He'll always have a place in my heart.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #51 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Like Titles Matter

http://www.thecwtv.tv/shared/news/to..._vid_543.shtml

http://www.kfdm.com/shared/news/top-..._vid_543.shtml

http://www.silsbeebee.com/news.php?viewStory=2575

EFI Tuners Organization Administrator/Gatekeeper

1996 Thunderbird LX- 12.54@106.08 NA
1998 GT - 11.51@122
2001 Lightning - 12.15@110
1996 GT 248A - ?@?
2011 GT - 10.46@129.38 180 MPH at the Texas Mile

generated by sloganizer.net
post #52 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Wow classy lady. What the hell kinda name is Ratoshia?

People, please don't text and drive.

[-----[ Conner ]-----] ASE P2 Automobile Parts Specialist - P4 General Motors Parts Consultant
The Blunderbird - 1989 Ford Thunderbird Photobucket
3.8L V6 / M5R2 / 141,754 miles
Thunderbird SC Suspension Swap - Eibach Pro-Kit
JBL Premium Audio Swap - JL CP108 Subwoofer
Resonator Delete - Magnaflow DI/SO Muffler - Custom 2.5in Exhaust
post #53 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Thanks for that info Kris. That should end the speculation. Knowing what we do now, I hope she gets the full sentence.

post #54 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:28 AM
Boost!!!

x2 on that one darrin

Blake

1996 thunderbird lx (the silver slut)
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=387

post #55 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I know there is a lot of young people on here, but that is EXACTLY what I preach about.

Inexperienced young drivers exercising NO RESPONSIBILITY. If you can't use a bluetooth headset or have a speakerphone, don't use the d**n thing and shut it off while you're driving.

Personally, I hope she does 20 years. She won't get any more experience driving, but maybe she will mature a little and use a little more common sense in the future before she kills anybody else.

Some will say it was an accident. Yes, a very, very, VERY preventable one.

That other video with the truck loosing control in the snow; those conditions were very dangerous, and driver error cost the driver his/her life.
This accident was simply blatant, ignorant disregard for the safety of herself & others.

~Rick
TCCoA Sig

Last edited by NetKeym; 04-19-2012 at 09:02 AM.
post #56 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Seasoned Geek

A low bond like that for the crime she committed , I bet she will get the low side of 10 years give or take

2017 Mustang GT Base/ Making my own premium
post #57 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 02:38 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
Enough never seems to be enough. People like her are the reason there are always new regulations coming to pass. If only people would exercise some common sense so much hurt could be avoided. A lot of people today have no sense of responsibility and that is the crux of the issue.

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #58 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 02:40 PM
PostSlut

i say have her put a picture of Johnny on her phone...that way she remembers the life she took everytime she uses it...that is, if
I was a judge..

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #59 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I say that she needs to be legally prohibited from ever having a landline free phone again. I also think the penalty for killing someone while intentionally doing anything like this while driving should involve a permanent revocation of driving privileges.

post #60 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:12 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
i say have her put a picture of Johnny on her phone...that way she remembers the life she took everytime she uses it...that is, if
I was a judge..
Somewhat along the same lines......I'm thinking her jail cell should have one good-sized family portrait of Johnny and his family on the wall and nothing else.
Thank you for the update, Kris.

Delete my account.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.