Breaking news for all you BBC Top Gear fans - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Breaking news for all you BBC Top Gear fans

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31828184

This is all over the news over here in the UK today. Not sure if the US channels will cover it.

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
Yea, I saw it post across my headline.

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Damn. Well that sucks.

Hopefully it will work itself out soon. Thanks for sharing Andy. I hadn't heard this ...

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:49 AM
PostWhore

Yea, I saw it on my FB feeds this morning. Just now had a moment to actually read any sort of article about it though,

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Hm, that's a shame indeed...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 235k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Saw this last night. Given the fact that Clarkson's discerning punch was last aimed at Pierce Morgan's face, I'm going to say whoever he punched this time deserved it too

Funny thing is this season has aired 7 episodes + the two part Christmas special. It almost strikes me as a publicity stunt since viewers weren't actually denied any more episodes than usual(they've haven't done a 10 episode series in many many years), but this gets us all in a huff about it. /removes tinfoil hat

-Matt
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
A publicity stunt?? Surely not.....

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:59 PM
3rd Gear Poster

You silly brits and your misuse of the english language. I had to look up "fracas". I much prefer kerfufle.

I saw this last night as well. While we wait for this to all blow over, I found this to be a good read to highlight all the pre-fracas hilarity.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 03:28 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangBangers View Post
You silly brits and your misuse of the english language. I had to look up "fracas". I much prefer kerfufle.

I saw this last night as well. While we wait for this to all blow over, I found this to be a good read to highlight all the pre-fracas hilarity.
LOL .... Well there's American English and then there's The "Queen's English".

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangBangers View Post
I found this to be a good read to highlight all the pre-fracas hilarity.
Man people take those quotes way out of context.

And how is comparing Sarah Jessica Parker to a boiled horse an insult on humanity? Since when did that transvestite donkey witch represent humanity???

-Matt
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 04:18 PM
PostWhore

I think he's over-rated. No big loss, just get a new opinionated host and move on

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech.com
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96PRLBRD View Post
I think he's over-rated. No big loss, just get a new opinionated host and move on
That'll never work, it's not The Tonight Show, it's a 14 episode a year comedy show, reestablishing the chemistry often results in awkwardness and mediocrity, Picture Two and a Half Men when they killed off Charlie Sheen because he was "controversial". Ashton Kutcher sure saved the day there

Plus if you want to experience awkward chemistry with committee approved inoffensive jokes, just watch Top Gear USA on the (not)History channel.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 03-11-2015 at 04:58 PM.
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 05:00 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
That'll never work, it's not The Tonight Show, it's a 14 episode a year comedy show, reestablishing the chemistry often results in awkwardness and mediocrity, Picture Two and a Half Men when they killed off Charlie Sheen because he was "controvercial". Ashton Kutcher sure saved the day there

Plus if you want to experience awkward chemistry with committee approved inoffensive jokes, just watch Top Gear USA on the (not)History channel.

post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 05:11 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6
And how is comparing Sarah Jessica Parker to a boiled horse an insult on humanity? Since when did that transvestite donkey witch represent humanity???

That sounds about right..lol

I'm sure this will all blow over soon, and we'll be back to our regular scheduled programming..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 05:49 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

SJP is a transvestite!! I never knew...

Top Gear, lol.

I don't know, Rayo; dude apparently punched dude in the face and dropped him.

That's going to take some serious ego restoration for the punchee...

Many Euros...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Clarkson's an asshat. I hope it works out and sure he is talented but he's full of himself and I hope someone will knock him on his ass. Lol

I also agree. Without Clarkson top gear will die

-Patrick
9.63@77mph on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/30-videos-images/129479-tbird1997-pictues.html
post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 05:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post

Many Euros...
Pounds Sterling not Euros.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 07:24 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post

Many Euros...
Pounds Sterling not Euros.
AKA Quid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1997 View Post
Clarkson's an asshat. I hope it works out and sure he is talented but he's full of himself and I hope someone will knock him on his ass. Lol

I also agree. Without Clarkson top gear will die
Yea, Clarkson can be an asshat but who's to say the guy he clocked wasn't also an asshat?

I honestly don't see the BBC dropping Clarkson or Top Gear. He'll probably end up with a fine and/or temporary suspension of some sort like Brian Williams.

post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 05:05 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

IDK; Williams is already gone, I think.

Lester looks good in that seat.

Sorry, bowez; I thought Brittan did the EU thing for some reason.

I heard today they ended the season; Clarkson may be gone too.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 05:49 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
No, Williams got a 6 month un-paid leave of absence - aka "Suspension". (Like it really matters to him) he's friggin' loaded anyway. He'll be back in late June or early July with a mea culpa statement and things will resume like he never left ...

But, yea. Lester is doing a great job in the meantime.

As far as Jermey C. well ... who knows? He may be an asshat but he's a damn funny one who I really enjoy watching on Top Gear and I'd hate to see the show go on or die without him.

post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
No, Williams got a 6 month un-paid leave of absence - aka "Suspension". (Like it really matters to him) he's friggin' loaded anyway. He'll be back in late June or early July with a mea culpa statement and things will resume like he never left ...

But, yea. Lester is doing a great job in the meantime.

As far as Jermey C. well ... who knows? He may be an asshat but he's a damn funny one who I really enjoy watching on Top Gear and I'd hate to see the show go on or die without him.
I think if BBC does fire Clarkson Top Gear should either end or completely change format again(maybe akin to the serious top gear of the 80s/90s), which I suspect won't be nearly as successful. I don't think the Comedy would work without Jeremy, that format was pretty much built around him. Richard and James, as much as I like them too, really need an obnoxious counter like Clarkson to balance their boring or irritatingly enthusiastic personalities. They're all legitimate Car guys but their personalities are so different that there's a tension and diversity that makes the show so watchable. Ultimately, maybe I'm just being a pessimist, I can't think of another personality that could take his place, whoever it would be would surely be a company man and that is tried and true creative poison.

-Matt
post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 07:53 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

Agreed, there is no replacement for Clarkson on that show...no one.

~Jeff

1995 Thunderbird SC - 5-speed - Stock/rebuild for now
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6L SOHC - N/A - 12.79@104.1mph *sold*
2014 F150 FX4 - 3.5TT Daily toy
2016 Fusion Titanium - 2.0T/AWD

post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:07 AM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

I've only watched two of those shows. The Burma trip and the Argentina trip.

The main character (narriator) is what he is accused of.

But he is makes the show what it is.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
11.97@ 109.35
3880 lbs. w/driver.

Bradenton Spring Brake Shootout 03/04/2017.
post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 08:16 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 09:21 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Bummer.

R.I.P. Top Gear

This season was great. I really enjoyed the big star / reasonably priced car segments this year with Ed Sheeran and the incredible Will Smith / Margot Robbie face off.

Hopefully - and this is really wish in one hand thinking ...

Jermey, Richard and Captain Slow will find new homes in a similar capacity. I wonder what the STIG will do?

post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 10:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I feel all of these news articles are putting the cart before the horse in the pursuit of clicks. Nothing has been determined yet, or at the vest least, nothing has been announced.

[-----[ Conner ]-----] ASE P2 Automobile Parts Specialist - P4 General Motors Parts Consultant
The Blunderbird - 1989 Ford Thunderbird Photobucket
3.8L V6 / M5R2 / 141,754 miles
Thunderbird SC Suspension Swap - Eibach Pro-Kit
JBL Premium Audio Swap - JL CP108 Subwoofer
Resonator Delete - Magnaflow DI/SO Muffler - Custom 2.5in Exhaust
post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 01:19 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah I saw it linked on another board I'm on, pretty much reposted it here before actually reflecting on it. Would be nice to see the full Sun article Clarkson wrote but I'm sure as **** not signing up for an entire British news column to see it

-Matt
post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 09:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I found this buffoon entertaining but since BBC owns the Top Gear format, I wonder if they will try and slot in someone else (say Chris Harris) and if the other two guys will stay on or jump ship.
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 09:49 AM
PostWhore

Will they have re-runs going on at least?

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 01:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Yeah I saw it linked on another board I'm on, pretty much reposted it here before actually reflecting on it. Would be nice to see the full Sun article Clarkson wrote but I'm sure as **** not signing up for an entire British news column to see it
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
I found this buffoon entertaining but since BBC owns the Top Gear format, I wonder if they will try and slot in someone else (say Chris Harris) and if the other two guys will stay on or jump ship.
-g
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
Will they have re-runs going on at least?
This basically confirms what I said above, clickbait websites are posting lots of bullcrap that people eagerly believe. Top Gear is not dead:

http://jalopnik.com/jeremy-clarksons...9-e-1691668505

[-----[ Conner ]-----] ASE P2 Automobile Parts Specialist - P4 General Motors Parts Consultant
The Blunderbird - 1989 Ford Thunderbird Photobucket
3.8L V6 / M5R2 / 141,754 miles
Thunderbird SC Suspension Swap - Eibach Pro-Kit
JBL Premium Audio Swap - JL CP108 Subwoofer
Resonator Delete - Magnaflow DI/SO Muffler - Custom 2.5in Exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.