Needing opinions on a new AWD car - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Needing opinions on a new AWD car

Well guys, I'm getting close to the age for retiring... maybe in a year or two. When it happens the wife is wanting to move closer to her family out near Phoenix. She has chosen Heber AZ. (no, its not all that close to Phoenix LOL). I told her that before we moved to Heber (elevation 6,500ft) we had to get (and have paid for) a car to replace her Tbird as her daily driver. Said car needed to get good gas mileage (for her drives into phoenix) and had to have AWD/4WD (to get her through the snow at 6,500ft). My first thoughts were a Subaru Outback, or a Ford Escape. Any thoughts, opinions, experiences with either of these vehicles?

I'm not real anxious to get rid of the Tbird. I'm hoping we can keep the bird so it will be designated "toy" and we can just get her the AWD for her daily driver.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 11:05 AM
5th Gear Poster

My 1983 Subaru got better fuel economy than my 2005 CRV. Go figure....

Anyway, Subaru's are great if you can fit inside them comfortably. I am too big and tall for a lot of fuel efficient vehicles. I would go for 4wd over awd for the added fuel economy. Awd always seems to use more fuel. The driver just needs to be a chicken and put it in 4wd before it's really slippery to be safe. 50 mph is real safe/stable driving compared to 60-75 mph too.

There's nothing wrong with the Escape. My experience with them was limited to a an early hybrid used at work that worked fine. Oher than fuel economy requirements, I'd pick for price and utility.
I'm not sure which has better rust resistance.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Good thinking on the AWD vs. 4WD... The Escape is available with Automatic 4WD similar to the Explorer isn't it? Just want it to be as simple as possible for the wife. A Switch on the dash would be great. I got rid of the AWD on my explorer and put in a 4WD Transfer Case. I don't know if she can use the clunky mechanical shifter to get from 2WD to 4WD. I know the Subaru has a very good AWD system that routes power wherever it will do the most good. I'm just not hyped about a hybrid. I know great mileage etc. etc.... But I've just never liked them.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 08:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If gas mileage is a concern, then any SUV is pretty well out. You can't get around the fact that they are just a big brick going down the road, and even with a 4-cyl escape, you will be lucky to break 20mpg. My reccomendation would be the Subaru Legacy. The Impreza would fit the bill, but I find they feel like a cheap compact car, whereas the Legacy is larger and more refined, which will be much more appreciated after being used to the tbird.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 09:10 PM

Garage
OK, we all know what opinions are like. I'll throw my two cents in.

Toyota reliability is proven. The whole acceleration thing aside (which I can't quite figure out), they have the best track record.

We have a 2015 Toyota Highlander. It's AWD and it gets 24MPG highway and it has plenty of room. It's a pretty nice ride and it has a front wheel bias. We drove ours from Ohio to Georgia last summer and we got just under 25MPG.

The Toyota RAV4 gets better gas mileage (29MPG) but it's a smaller SUV.

A hybrid is really only going to save you if you do more city driving than country driving.

I've owned 7 GM vehicles, 3 Fords, 1 Eagle, 1 Lexus and 3 Toyotas. The Toyotas have been the best of all of them. In fact, between the Lexus and the 3 Toyotas I've never had to have a single thing done to any of them. I've put a total of about 140,000 miles on those vehicles (to be fair I just got the Highlander at the beginning of summer and the Lexus just before spring).

As long as you don't plan to keep this new vehicle for very long then I don't think it really matters which one you get. If you plan to keep it a long time then it's certainly something to consider.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Coast High Peformance 342 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
Built Darrin/dirtyd0g AOD with wide ratio gearset
dirtyd0g 9.5" Custom Torque Converter
Quarterhorse ECM from Moates
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
No times under new system.......yet.
OMGHI2U

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 09:29 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

Subaru quality is top notch, and their AWD systems are pretty much unmatched...except for maybe Audi's Quattro systems. Can't go wrong with a Suby in the winter.

~Jeff

1995 Thunderbird SC - 5-speed - Stock/rebuild for now
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6L SOHC - N/A - 12.79@104.1mph *sold*
2014 F150 FX4 - 3.5TT Daily toy
2016 Fusion Titanium - 2.0T/AWD

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 11:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
If gas mileage is a concern, then any SUV is pretty well out. You can't get around the fact that they are just a big brick going down the road, and even with a 4-cyl escape, you will be lucky to break 20mpg. My reccomendation would be the Subaru Legacy. The Impreza would fit the bill, but I find they feel like a cheap compact car, whereas the Legacy is larger and more refined, which will be much more appreciated after being used to the tbird.
A friend of mine just picked up a new Forester today; her alternative was a Subaru XV Crosstrek. My friend was coming from a 2000 Toyota 4Runner so she preferred the higher seating position and the 5" longer size of the Forester vs the Crosstrek. Also, Crosstreks (Impreza based Suv-let) are more in demand in the Bay Area for their smaller size so she was actually able to find more inventory to choose from the Foresters -- this was worth the few extra MPG she would see with the Crosstrek (which has a newer, smaller displacement engine).

I've had quite a few friends who've owned Subarus for the past few years and had quite good luck with them; my mother in law has had a Crosstrek for 2 years or so and has had zero problems with it (it replaced her 2004 Forester which also had no problems other than needing a CV boot replaced (easier to swap axles) and an O2 sensor going out at ~100K mi.

I expect we will buy a Subaru for my wife when we finally put the old S4 down. I do wish they had the WRX wagon still though...

-g
PS. If you do buy a new car, check with Costco (if you are a member) and your local credit unions car buying service. Both methods will give you access to the fleet manager who is compensated on volume vs. margin per unit and therefore you will be able to get a price that is often hard to beat since you are no longer having to pay a sales monkey's commission.
Ex: I bought a Prius for $1K under invoice 2 years ago via my CU. My friend bought her Forester for $500 under invoice via Costco.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 06:43 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
I expect we will buy a Subaru for my wife when we finally put the old S4 down. I do wish they had the WRX wagon still though...
Fun note...I expect similar to the wagons...the 08-14 STi hatches are considered station wagons by insurance companies and are pretty cheap on insurance.i

~Jeff

1995 Thunderbird SC - 5-speed - Stock/rebuild for now
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6L SOHC - N/A - 12.79@104.1mph *sold*
2014 F150 FX4 - 3.5TT Daily toy
2016 Fusion Titanium - 2.0T/AWD

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 07:56 AM
PostWhore

My parents have a '03 Forester XT Turbo Automatic. A very fun car to drive, but like every car, they have their quirks, some oddball things over the years that have needed attention spread over 136k miles.

It doesn't get great gas mileage, 18/24, and according to my parents, it's not outstanding in the snow as you would expect. They do run all season tires, so changing to a dedicated snow tire could make all the difference in the world. Their car doesn't have traction control, so that could help also.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 09:59 AM
3rd Gear Poster

My wife drives a 2007 Forester auto. Its been a decent car so far. We have owned it about a year now, and other than general maintenance is has only needed a vacuum solendoid.

Gas milage is 24/26 real life so far. I haven't had snow since owning it so I cannot attest to its capabilities in snow, however in mud and dirt seems to go just about anywhere.

1997 Royal Blue Metallic 4.6l
Pioneer P8400H
Diamond Audio D6 5x7's Driven by Hiffonics 4ch
Alpine Type R 12's
PRB Brakes
Tweecer Tuned by me
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:02 AM
1st Gear Poster

A good friend of mine has an 4wd Escape and im wanting to say the barely brake 20 mpg in it, i believe its a 2006.

Out of Commision 95 LX- Parting Out
95 XR-7, PBR Brakes, Trac-Loc with 3:55, Mustang hub swap with Bullitts, Forged PI to COME....
03 Chevy 2500 HD Dirtymax
01 Mustang Gt, Minor bolt onsss, sitting a little lower than most.....
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:49 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Good thinking on the AWD vs. 4WD... The Escape is available with Automatic 4WD similar to the Explorer isn't it? Just want it to be as simple as possible for the wife. A Switch on the dash would be great. I got rid of the AWD on my explorer and put in a 4WD Transfer Case. I don't know if she can use the clunky mechanical shifter to get from 2WD to 4WD. I know the Subaru has a very good AWD system that routes power wherever it will do the most good. I'm just not hyped about a hybrid. I know great mileage etc. etc.... But I've just never liked them.
My wife and I just bought a 2016 Escape SE with the 2.0 Ecoboost and 4wd (it constantly varies traction to the wheels that need it).

Haven't used it in snow yet, but it drives very nice. When we met she had a 2008 Escape and it was capable in the snow as well. It's all about the tires really. Living here in Minnesota, we have tons of snow and I only ever used the 4wd when trying to get the vehicles out of the alley behind the house when it's snowed in.

We had a 2013 CRV, but the "eco" mode on the motor made it a pain to drive, took it two to three seconds to respond to throttle input, and driving in "normal" hurt the mileage a lot.

Regarding mileage, if you live in the mountains, overall mileage will be poor due to the constant climb. I live in hilly areas and get horrible around town mileage due to having to climb the hill every day. But, the downhill takes far less gas, so it could wash out.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 04:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

For as little snow as they get there, they also do get a fair amount rain, I think for the money and intended purpose the Crosstrek would be a great vehicle. Decent highway mileage, but the Impreza is ~5k cheaper and gets at least 5mpg better though.

I agree with it is all about the tires. If you need to for 2 months put on some snows, otherwise some all seasons that handle wet weather should be fine.

If your gonna be using it for mild offroading (like...going camping slightly off the paved roads) then something a little more rugged might be called for, or your going to live in a rural setting with poor roads or driveway.

The new Escapes are pretty nice too, I haven't driven a new round one (just the first gen and the teardrop headlight Mariner), but my parents have and think they will be getting one.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 05:44 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
Get a subaru legacy.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 06:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Your not going to have to drive every day, and if it snows you want to be able to move around if need be, but it won't be like no matter what the weather, you have to go to work, right? I think an AWD sedan that is not performance based would be a good compromise. I would be curious as to what the prevalent vehicles are, other than trucks. Been awhile since I have been there.

My parents are retired, and they live way off the beaten path. At least 5 miles of dirt road. When it rains, those roads become the rivers. They have an AWD Expedition if they need to get out, or back in, but 99% of the time they just stay in and let it pass. The number of people out by them that have older cars ONLY is amazing. It is in the low land desert around Phoenix and not snow, but 2 feet of water washing down and out a road is probably as daunting of a driving experience as snow is.

I grew up in a city on Colorado that averaged 40 inches of snow in January and 45 inches in December (about 180 inches overall a year, only 2 months of the year with zero snow, July and August) and chains and snow tires with walnut shells mixed into the tread on a 79 Granada and an 81 Fairmont is what I drove. We didn't have snow days, we could get 3 foot drifts from the 30 mph breezes we constantly had. I also lived in a rural area with a 1/2 mile uphill curving driveway.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 12:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
My parents have a '03 Forester XT Turbo Automatic. A very fun car to drive, but like every car, they have their quirks, some oddball things over the years that have needed attention spread over 136k miles.

It doesn't get great gas mileage, 18/24, and according to my parents, it's not outstanding in the snow as you would expect. They do run all season tires, so changing to a dedicated snow tire could make all the difference in the world. Their car doesn't have traction control, so that could help also.

Al
I'm impressed that your parents had that car. THAT Forester had an engine that was similar to the STI of the same vintage (2.5L vs 2L but with a smaller turbo and tuned for torque.

I always liked that box but for my personal situation, it wasn't worth taking the bloodbath that selling the S4 would have netted me to get that Scooby at the time it was new.

One more comment: if you are going to cross shop to other vehicles, compare the ground clearance. I was impressed at the Subarus (8.7" for the Crosstrek, 8.9" for the Forester, but only 5.7" on the Impreza). Compare this to 8" for the Highlander and 7.9" for the Escape.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.