• 1 Post By Trunk Monkey
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
The Grand Tour!!! (A.K.A. Top Gear 2.0)

I found these videos after doing a quick search of YT for the latest on the trio.

Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond & James May: The Grand Tour arrives in Vicenza, Italy in an Aston Martin, a Rolls Royce and a Hellcat!

How these guys are going to get any driving done anywhere with this orgy of selfies going on is beyond me but hey, it's great to see them back!

Tbird Bob likes this.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 07-31-2016 at 03:27 PM.
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 02:52 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
10 minutes of crappy and grainy footage and already it's more entertaining than the entire season of Chris Evans' Top Gear

-Matt
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 08:32 PM
5th Gear Poster

Oh look, somebody named their YouTube channel "The Grand Tour", and posted a poor-quality clip of Top Gear Live. How cute. :P

1996 Thunderbird LX (4.6), daily driver
1995 Mustang GT (5.0), alternate daily driver
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 12:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Either way I'm looking forward to seeing what these guys come up with without the BBC breathing down their necks. Didn't watch a millisecond of the new "Top Gear"...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 235k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Ah, ok. I see that in the YT comments as well. I'll delete the last linked video.

Still looking forward to the new show.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Ok, here are some of the "Official" Grand Tour teaser videos. I can't wait!

It premieres on November 18.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 10-10-2016 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Add premier date
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 09:38 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Saw it last night, BBC must be shitting their pants

-Matt
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 02:10 PM
̇

Garage
Easily exceeded my expectations..

It's nice seeing these guys together on a proper motoring program again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93
Didn't watch a millisecond of the new "Top Gear"...
X2

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 09:18 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
I loved the opening scene, and it went up from there.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
I love their new theme song!

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Bought my Amazon Prime subscription and watched it last night. By far even better than Top Gear ever was. I laughed my ass off at the Eboladrome.

The production value is way better. I love the commercial free broadcast in HD. It must be in 4K because the picture was off the charts beautiful! The audio was crystal clear HD too.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I watched a bootleg version on YouTube. How much is it per episode?

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
I think the basic Amazon Prime subscription for Video only is $8.99 / Month - so figure $2.25 per episode.

I think there's no contract so when the season's over you can cancel.

Jeremy called it "Top Gear in Witness Protection" This is a funny interview.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 09:07 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
I found the production value to be about the same, the old show had a very high bar set so that's not at all a bad thing. Most improved aspect from the old show, to me, was the celebrity segment

-Matt
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
LOL ... yea that was unexpected!

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 01:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I thought in addition to the Amazon prime subscription, there was a charge per episode?

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:39 AM
̇

Garage
Now that the first season is finished..What did you guys think of it?

I thoroughly enjoyed it..
I think they did a good job being themselves..Which let's face it, made for a much more entertaining show..
Not having to conform to the BBC's rules allowed for some hilarious fun!

My favorite episode(s) was Beach Buggy Boys Part 1 & 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
I thought in addition to the Amazon prime subscription, there was a charge per episode?
Fortunately, No..No extra charge per episode like I originally thought..
The Grand Tour is considered a TV Show on Amazon Prime..
Which makes it free, after you've payed for an Amazon Prime membership (if that makes sense)

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:43 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Now that the first season is finished..What did you guys think of it?

I thoroughly enjoyed it..
I think they did a good job being themselves..Which let's face it, made for a much more entertaining show..
Not having to conform to the BBC's rules allowed for some hilarious fun!

My favorite episode(s) was Beach Buggy Boys Part 1 & 2

Fortunately, No..No extra charge per episode like I originally thought..
The Grand Tour is considered a TV Show on Amazon Prime..
Which makes it free, after you've payed for an Amazon Prime membership (if that makes sense)

Rayo..
I really enjoyed the whole series. I love that the new racing driver is "The American", and even better he has a southern accent. The Eboladrome in it's entirety is also hillarious, I do hope that as the seasons progress there are more names in "Your name here" and we get to see more cars on the edge at "Old Lady's house".

By and large, it's all the great stuff of their old show, enhanced and continuing to refine.
I looked up how to get alerted for tickets, if they come anywhere near me, I'm going to try to be there for the show.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:47 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
I've seen them all, starts off rocky but they get their groove. The trip to southern Africa in dune buggies was awesome!

They DO need to get rid of Celebrity Brain Smash, that's just dumb. Drop the American hillbilly driver.

I'd also like to see them explore the places they go, not always cars, but the dining, the sights, the culture. All stuff you can do and reach FROM or IN your car
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
I thought the first half of the series was rough, reminding me of some of the crappier Top Gear episodes, that is until the Christmas special, where I feel it really turned the tide and every episode since has been really enjoyable. Most of my complaints up to that point would be that the challenges seem rushed and unfinished, while the studio, err tent, segments are too obviously scripted, perhaps because they're playing to the audience more directly.

I don't like the driver, his dialogue is painful to listen to, it's always the same nonsensical whining. His whole shtick was funny in the first few episodes(much like celebrity brain crash), in that he's about as polar opposite of the stig concept you can get, but every word he says about a furrin car is interchangeable with the next one, I don't mind a hillbilly ranting about non-American cars but at least have some fucking substance to the rants.

Celebrity braincrash is more miss than hit, but I do prefer it to the insipid celebrity self promotion Top Gear interviews usually are(I almost always skipped those), but the last one was definitely one of the better ones lol. I'm hoping they phase that out in the future and extend conversation street focusing more on current auto news.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:31 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
I thought the first half of the series was rough, reminding me of some of the crappier Top Gear episodes, that is until the Christmas special, where I feel it really turned the tide and every episode since has been really enjoyable. Most of my complaints up to that point would be that the challenges seem rushed and unfinished, while the studio, err tent, segments are too obviously scripted, perhaps because they're playing to the audience more directly.

I don't like the driver, his dialogue is painful to listen to, it's always the same nonsensical whining. His whole shtick was funny in the first few episodes(much like celebrity brain crash), in that he's about as polar opposite of the stig concept you can get, but every word he says about a furrin car is interchangeable with the next one, I don't mind a hillbilly ranting about non-American cars but at least have some fucking substance to the rants.

Celebrity braincrash is more miss than hit, but I do prefer it to the insipid celebrity self promotion Top Gear interviews usually are(I almost always skipped those), but the last one was definitely one of the better ones lol. I'm hoping they phase that out in the future and extend conversation street focusing more on current auto news.
What I would like to see would be a different driver every season. This year, it's "The American". Next year, how about "The Italian" or "The Swede".

I wouldn't mind a nod to American Top Gear and get Tanner Foust in there, just to twist the knife a little.

I do agree that Celebrity Brain Crash has played out, and hopefully it gets changed up next time

I'm not so sure about using the show as a tour guide for the area, but I would like to see the challenges take up more of the show. I'd love to see them come to Brainerd International Raceway here in MN at some point, or have them do some winter driving here.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Conversation street is fantastic. I love what they do with the opening silhouettes. Celebrity braincrash is crap. "The American" is annoying. Matt summed his character up well.

I've watched through the dune buggies episodes but I've yet to see the rest of the season.

All in all it's fantastic to see the trio back to making great entertainment.

And wow, just noticed, that's post 10,800 for me ...

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Conversation street is fantastic. I love what they do with the opening silhouettes. Celebrity braincrash is crap. "The American" is annoying. Matt summed his character up well.

I've watched through the dune buggies episodes but I've yet to see the rest of the season.

All in all it's fantastic to see the trio back to making great entertainment.

And wow, just noticed, that's post 10,800 for me ...
I'm to about the same episode and so far it's not bad.

10800 so?? Wanna cookie? Lol

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Hey Vic, nah, a beer would be good though.

I've got to get back to Chicago to hang with you, Matt, Enbalmer, and the rest of the local crowd again some time.
Cheers

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Hey Vic, nah, a beer would be good though.

I've got to get back to Chicago to hang with you, Matt, Enbalmer, and the rest of the local crowd again some time.
Cheers
works for me!

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.