Anyone in the mattress retailing business or have recent mattress shopping exp? - TCCoA Forums

 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Grog6
  • 1 Post By S4gunn
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
 
S4gunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF, CA
Age: 38
Posts: 2,097
Garage
Anyone in the mattress retailing business or have recent mattress shopping exp?

All:
So my wife and I have decided to get a new mattress (she decided for me) for the first time in honestly 15 years. I did some basic research this morning on what's changed in the last few years (Best Mattress Buying Guide - Consumer Reports) and we just came back from a big local specialty chain today (Sleep Train) after "test driving" some mattresses. Since TCCOA hits a huge cross-section of America, I'm hoping one of you regulars might be able to give me some decidedly non-tbird related advice.


Here's what I've learned so far today:
* There are three major categories of mattresses:
- Traditional Spring: All much thicker now (12.5" average, seems like most we saw were 16") which means we'll need new sheets. All have some form of pillow-top now, too, and aren't flippable. Whatever the sales guy might pitch, the real reason for moving to no-flip mattresses was because the private equity that bought Serta & Sealy found this as a great way to increase their margins.
Joshua Kosman, Predicting The Next Credit Crisis : NPR

- Air beds: Adjustable firmness but also pricey. In humid/cold areas like SF specifically, mold can develop in the bladders/pumping systems. Which is gross and a total dealbreaker (would probably be OK in drier climates like Denver).

- Foam Mattresses: Probably the most popular now. When I first tried it 10 years ago at a friends I was super annoyed by the heat retention when you sunk in. They've seemingly fixed a lot of their issues with better heat conductivity/wicking by enfusing gel or other materials (like carbon) into the foam cells. Also can be had direct from Casper/Tuft&Needle for a good deal less. For ME though, I don't like the non-responsiveness of the bed (you move and you have to wait for your body to sink in again. Meh.

- Hybrid Mattresses: a spring+foam setup.

What we will probably buy
- Queen mattress (we already have a platform bed) + new extra deep sheets
- Budget: Salesman offered a $1400 OTD price to begin with (which is already 50% off their "online" pricing) so realistically, I'm guessing that we are probably going to spend $1100-1200 OTG for the one we liked at this store or $900-1500 for a similar bed.
- Softer bed that our current extra firm traditional: I've had to switch to side sleeping b/c of my snoring so I need to go softer. According to CR though, the rating a mfg gives a bed doesn't necessarily correspond to actual firmness (some firm beds were actually soft. which is annoying).

On our first trip to the store, this was the bed that we found most to our satisfaction.

BeautyRest Black Plus Tolliver Firm (Hybrid Mattress): that's the silly name they give this one
Beautyrest Black Hybrid Tolliver Firm Mattress - Sleep Train

The problem is that the reviews aren't great on even their own Beautyrest website even though they are glowing on the retailer's site so I'm skeptical that this it the "right bed" for us. The sales rep himself suggested that before we buy anything, I should check out two other mfgs that his competitor carries at a similar price point: Aireloom and Kluft.

FUN FACT: Some libraries (including the SF public library) will give you access to Consumer Report's magazine online for free (Feb 2017 issue has a bunch on mattresses. We'll probably feel our other alternatives as well as the ones most recommendend in the C.Reports for my wife & me's build & sleep style:
Charles P. Rogers Powercore Estate 5000
Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Elite Kelburn
Charles P. Rogers St. Regis Pillowtop
Denver Mattress Doctor's Choice

Clearly I have more shopping to do.

Q: Are any of you in the mattress retailing business or have any guidance from me from recent buying experience?

Thanks in advance,
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
S4gunn is offline  
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 07:32 PM
3rd Gear Poster
 
germz1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Age: 30
Posts: 139
The wife and I have purchased 2 Sleep Number beds in the last decade. We bought a low end model when we first got married.
It was a dual chamber full size, with the 2 inch pillow top. The pump was loud but only ran when we needed to adjust it. One of the air bladders sprung a small leak about 5 years in, we phoned sleep number they had us do a single troubleshooting step, agreed it was the bladder and had one over nighted to us with a return label for the failed bladder. We gave that bed to our son. Havent had a problem with it since.
The second one we purchased was a single chamber queen bed about ~3yrs ago. I am pleased with the single chamber purchase, the wife and i agree on a bed firmness.

They run great financing offers often, the queen we just purchased had 24m no interest i think was right around 1100 or so. They have a great warranty, and that one issue i had with the chamber on the full was a pleasure to deal with them.

Hope this helps

1997 Royal Blue Metallic 4.6l
Pioneer P8400H
Diamond Audio D6 5x7's Driven by Hiffonics 4ch
Alpine Type R 12's
PRB Brakes
Tweecer Tuned by me
germz1986 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
 
S4gunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF, CA
Age: 38
Posts: 2,097
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by germz1986 View Post
The wife and I have purchased 2 Sleep Number beds in the last decade. We bought a low end model when we first got married.
It was a dual chamber full size, with the 2 inch pillow top. The pump was loud but only ran when we needed to adjust it. One of the air bladders sprung a small leak about 5 years in, we phoned sleep number they had us do a single troubleshooting step, agreed it was the bladder and had one over nighted to us with a return label for the failed bladder. We gave that bed to our son. Havent had a problem with it since.
The second one we purchased was a single chamber queen bed about ~3yrs ago. I am pleased with the single chamber purchase, the wife and i agree on a bed firmness.

They run great financing offers often, the queen we just purchased had 24m no interest i think was right around 1100 or so. They have a great warranty, and that one issue i had with the chamber on the full was a pleasure to deal with them.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the comments but the Bay Area -- esp SF -- is too cold and humid wet to effectively use an air bed. I'm going to pass.
Example:
7 On Your Side gets woman refund after finding mold on newly bought matteress | abc7news.com

Q: Anyone ever purchase from Charles P Rogers?

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
S4gunn is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tinton Falls, NJ
Age: 34
Posts: 6,969
Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I bought a new mattress and box spring about a year ago. Being single made it easier, cause only I had to like it. I personally had no knowledge or background in this, but luckily I got a knowledgeable and honest salesman. My previous set was probably about 15 years old, had been moved no less than 4 times, and was causing back problems. I ended up with a box-spring with a pillow-top, because it is what I found most comfortable, but one thing the salesman told me was that all the different styles are comparable in terms of durability for the price, and that it really comes down to personal preference. He did say that the memory foam ones will retain heat, and there are things that can minimize that, but it will always be a problem with them. He also said that when "test driving" them, you need to lay in the bed for a solid half-hour before saying you like it, and sure enough, the mattress that I liked the most at first became quite uncomfortable after about 15-20 minutes. So my advice would be forget about consumer reports or reviews, spend some more time on the prospective beds, and buy whatever reputable name brand mattress you and your wife are most comfortable in. Also, and this was hard for me to get used to at first, but make price one of the lowest factors in your decision. Obviously you don't need to spend $10K on a bed to get something good, but considering this is something you will have for the next 10-20 years, and the wrong one can literally make your life miserable, an extra $1000, or even $2000 is only about $100-200 per year, for somewhere that you are literally going to spend 1/3 of your time, and that price difference shouldn't even factor into your decision making.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
MadMikeyL is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:28 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator
 
Trunk Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Home Sweet Home: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 10,938
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Thanks for the comments but the Bay Area -- esp SF -- is too cold and humid wet to effectively use an air bed. I'm going to pass.
Example:
7 On Your Side gets woman refund after finding mold on newly bought matteress | abc7news.com

Q: Anyone ever purchase from Charles P Rogers?
Don't confuse memory foam for air mattress. They are not the same thing. After researching the issue you identified I discovered that this was a problem with Select Comfort beds manufactured prior to 2004. Select Comfort redesigned the beds in 2004 and reformulated the antimicrobial formulation used in the foam to eliminate the mold issue. Models manufactured after 2005 no longer have this problem.

Official Statement from Select Comfort

We have a Select Comfort sleep number bed that we bought in 2008 and it has worked wonderfully for us to this day. +1 for the sleep number bed that germz1986 recommended.

Just don't buy a TempurPedic memory foam mattress like the one cited in the article you linked and you'll be alright. "It’s also important to know that mold can occur in ANY mattress or upholstered product under the right circumstances."

We live in North Carolina which is also a very humid state. We even have to have the siding on our home cleaned every other year because it grows mold. This isn't my house but homes in the area that are not cleaned regularly can get this bad.

Here's a before and after cleaning example:


Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-22-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Trunk Monkey is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
 
S4gunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF, CA
Age: 38
Posts: 2,097
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Don't confuse memory foam for air mattress. They are not the same thing. After researching the issue you identified I discovered that this was a problem with Select Comfort beds manufactured prior to 2004. Select Comfort redesigned the beds in 2004 and reformulated the antimicrobial formulation used in the foam to eliminate the mold issue. Models manufactured after 2005 no longer have this problem.

Official Statement from Select Comfort

We have a Select Comfort sleep number bed that we bought in 2008 and it has worked wonderfully for us to this day. +1 for the sleep number bed that germz1986 recommended.

Just don't buy a TempurPedic memory foam mattress like the one cited in the article you linked and you'll be alright. "It’s also important to know that mold can occur in ANY mattress or upholstered product under the right circumstances."

We live in North Carolina which is also a very humid state. We even have to have the siding on our home cleaned every other year because it grows mold. This isn't my house but homes in the area that are not cleaned regularly can get this bad.

Here's a before and after cleaning example:

http://judgeservices.com/wp-content/...fore_After.jpg
Ahh, that was my mistake. I found the wrong article. I see now that the article I found was complaining about foam mattresses; I should have read it more closely but I don't like those either because of how it takes time for it to reconform to your body + the heat retaining.

Thanks for sharing about Sleep Comfort's revised design. This unbiased website says that as of Sept 2016, <3% of SN owners complain about mold now. I'm still a bit skeptical.
Unbiased Sleep Number Bed (Select Comfort) Reviews 2016 : Ratings For Classic, Performance Memory Foam Innovation : c2 c4 p5 p6 i8 i10 m7 : Comparison Complaints : Consumer Reports

Mike: I do agree that pricing should be a lower priority criteria but it still annoys me to know someone is putting me over a barrel. While material costs have gone down (foam is a ton cheaper to manufacture and has become a widely used component), these things are still sold for several hundreds to a few thousand dollars. The margin is annoying. Perhaps a better way to put it is that I'm more resigned than excited about paying 2-3 tbirds worth of cash for a mattress.


-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-23-2017 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Remove quoted image
S4gunn is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 08:22 AM
Lightly Seasoned
 
Mike Shumard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Tn
Age: 54
Posts: 710
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Don't confuse memory foam for air mattress. They are not the same thing. After researching the issue you identified I discovered that this was a problem with Select Comfort beds manufactured prior to 2004. Select Comfort redesigned the beds in 2004 and reformulated the antimicrobial formulation used in the foam to eliminate the mold issue. Models manufactured after 2005 no longer have this problem.

Official Statement from Select Comfort

We have a Select Comfort sleep number bed that we bought in 2008 and it has worked wonderfully for us to this day. +1 for the sleep number bed that germz1986 recommended.

Just don't buy a TempurPedic memory foam mattress like the one cited in the article you linked and you'll be alright. "It’s also important to know that mold can occur in ANY mattress or upholstered product under the right circumstances."

We live in North Carolina which is also a very humid state. We even have to have the siding on our home cleaned every other year because it grows mold. This isn't my house but homes in the area that are not cleaned regularly can get this bad.

Here's a before and after cleaning example:

http://judgeservices.com/wp-content/...fore_After.jpg
Hey Ron, What do you use to clean your house?..Ours has a little green on it

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-23-2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Remove quoted image
Mike Shumard is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 10:08 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator
 
Trunk Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Home Sweet Home: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 10,938
Garage
We hire Dirt Busters to do it for us but you can do it yourself with a pressure washer and a long handled scrub brush.

Here's a good article on how to clean vinyl siding.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how...-vinyl-siding/

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Ahh, that was my mistake. I found the wrong article. I see now that the article I found was complaining about foam mattresses; I should have read it more closely but I don't like those either because of how it takes time for it to reconform to your body + the heat retaining.

Thanks for sharing about Sleep Comfort's revised design. This unbiased website says that as of Sept 2016, <3% of SN owners complain about mold now. I'm still a bit skeptical.
Unbiased Sleep Number Bed (Select Comfort) Reviews 2016 : Ratings For Classic, Performance Memory Foam Innovation : c2 c4 p5 p6 i8 i10 m7 : Comparison Complaints : Consumer Reports

Mike: I do agree that pricing should be a lower priority criteria but it still annoys me to know someone is putting me over a barrel. While material costs have gone down (foam is a ton cheaper to manufacture and has become a widely used component), these things are still sold for several hundreds to a few thousand dollars. The margin is annoying. Perhaps a better way to put it is that I'm more resigned than excited about paying 2-3 tbirds worth of cash for a mattress.


-g
You're welcome, glad I could help. It's great that you're doing this research now to avoid a costly mistake later.

I was very interested to learn about the mold issue since we have one of those beds. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Due diligence is key!

We're here to help.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-23-2017 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Merge posts
Trunk Monkey is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:22 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Moderator
 
Grog6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Harriman, TN
Age: 54
Posts: 8,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shumard View Post
Hey Ron, What do you use to clean your house?..Ours has a little green on it
Clorox or tilex is the secret sauce; 20:1 mix into the pressure washer, strips it all off clean and bright.


The back side of my house will do that on damp years; we haven't had rain until this month, pretty much.



As far as the bed goes; I bought a Sealy Posturepedic about 10 years ago, and it still feels new.

It has a pillowtop on each side, so I turn it over each time I change it; I can't tell that it's worn at all.

The HVAC blows up thru my bed to a small extent; just enough to feel good.

You will thank yourself for years for replacing whatever bed you are replacing, so unless you make a really bad choice, you'll be happy.
Mike Shumard likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams

Last edited by Grog6; 01-23-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Grog6 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 09:07 PM
PostWhore
 
driller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 1,228
Send a message via AIM to driller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
You will thank yourself for years for replacing whatever bed you are replacing, so unless you make a really bad choice, you'll be happy.
That's my thoughts as well. Replacing your old worn out mattress will seem really great with just about any replacement.

Much like suspension components. It annoys me at times when people ditch the air ride in Lincolns for conventional springs/shocks and then claim how great the ride is. Of course, replacing worn out suspension components with new shocks and springs is going to ride better!
driller is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
 
S4gunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF, CA
Age: 38
Posts: 2,097
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller View Post
That's my thoughts as well. Replacing your old worn out mattress will seem really great with just about any replacement.

Much like suspension components. It annoys me at times when people ditch the air ride in Lincolns for conventional springs/shocks and then claim how great the ride is. Of course, replacing worn out suspension components with new shocks and springs is going to ride better!
I think our new president felt that way about wives.
-g
Grog6 likes this.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
S4gunn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome