• 2 Post By RalphP
  • 1 Post By Grog6
  • 3 Post By driller

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Tools you can't live without

What are some tools/ shop equipment that you have discovered that you now refuse to live without.

Mine is this hose clamp removal tool- I can't believe that I used to use a channel lock for this?...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1111.JPG (22.7 KB, 94 views)

1995 T-Bird. PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Big MHS cams. 4,200 Dirty Dogg converter. Kooks headers. Full exhaust. 4" Drive Shaft. 4:10s.
Waiting on a tune.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII FX2 Sand Dune Machine.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC- stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:36 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
That is definitely a good one, and would be on my list as well. I would also include an air hammer on that list. And when it comes to UCA's on our cars, I would never do it again without an 18mm gear wrench.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:39 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Big hammer.

/end thread
FranklinMint likes this.

-Matt
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:05 AM
4th Gear Poster

Ditto on the 18mm gear wrench, and the hose clamp removal tool for the bottom radiator hose. And although possible, I don't ever want to again adjust my headlamps without the Lisle 4mm long handle ratchet.

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:57 AM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Hmmmm
Electronic torx bits with the darned part in the middle still there.
Jeweler's screwdrivers
Electric drill (plug in) with lots of amps!
A magnet pick up thingy

But I'd have to say a good flashlight/shop light. Nothing's as annoying as when you can get light on a part you're trying to work on!

Last edited by Natesriv; 03-14-2017 at 03:52 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Shop press, drill press, vise, bench grinder. All of those have saved me money upon initial purchase and have paid for themselves multiple times over by now. I wish I had a good welder.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now on the road!!

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:53 AM
PostWhore

Garage
A good, low profile, high lift hydraulic jack and jack stands.

I LOVE being able to both slide my jack under the car effortlessly AND being able to jack up either the left or the right side completely and get stands under it with the jack on the frame rail without having to move the jack.

Ratcheting box wrenches are also a godsend.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
PI Swapped NPI motor with some port work on the heads, PI cams, 80mm MAF, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:26 AM
Lightly Seasoned

Garage
I would say a Scan Tool is a vital tool to have!!
Woodman, CDsDontBurn and Natesriv like this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:36 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shumard View Post
I would say a Scan Tool is a vital tool to have!!
I agree, but I prefer an Xcal2, personally.

That said, you can't really work on these cars without an obdII reader; you'd be guessing, or paying someone else to fix it for you. (Who will use a code scanner to see what's wrong, lol.)

My Boss bought a Scantool that hooks to his phone by bluetooth, and will show you whatever you want; if I ever get a smartphone, I'll buy that asap.

I like being able to take a drive and make a datalog of everything important, then sit somewhere and eat something and see what's going on.

When tuning, I make changes, and drive somewhere else.
Woodman likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Big hammer.

/end thread
Yes but I must add one

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I would practically kill for a heated garage with a lift...

That said I love my air tools. Must be a northerner thing.
RalphP and Woodman like this.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 230k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:26 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post

I need a better compressor and some good air tools. I had to get my motor mounts apart because I found one of mine (driver's side) was broken when I pulled the engine. My impact wrench wouldn't even try to get it off, so I took it to my alignment guy and he had it off in seconds.

PI Swapped NPI motor with some port work on the heads, PI cams, 80mm MAF, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:40 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
My garage wasn't a real garage until I had a lift and a compressor.
Woodman likes this.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:21 PM
The Parts Guy

I sincerely don't know where to start. I might be a tool/equipment junkie.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
rodsv6cougar@cs.com
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller View Post
Do you have a 2 post or 4 post lift? I think if I bought one today I would go with a 4.

1995 T-Bird. PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Big MHS cams. 4,200 Dirty Dogg converter. Kooks headers. Full exhaust. 4" Drive Shaft. 4:10s.
Waiting on a tune.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII FX2 Sand Dune Machine.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC- stock
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:22 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post

Yah. I'm waiting for summer so I can upgrade back to a shade tree mechanic

RwP
Andy625UK and FranklinMint like this.

Fuelly
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:45 AM
Veteran Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck95 View Post
What are some tools/ shop equipment that you have discovered that you now refuse to live without.

Mine is this hose clamp removal tool- I can't believe that I used to use a channel lock for this?...
Those hose clamp tools are a godsend, but I'd also have to nominate ball joint splitters (fork type or the lever type), trolley jack, extra long breaker bars. I guess it depends what was the most recent job you've done where something saved the day.

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:28 AM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

Impact gun.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
11.97@ 109.35
3880 lbs. w/driver.

Bradenton Spring Brake Shootout 03/04/2017.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:14 PM
PostWhore

The tool I can't live without, for me at least, is electricity. My house is an older house and I only have two outlets in my garage and said two outlets in my garage have shared power with my 3 bedrooms. This being the case, whenever I use my air compressor, I have to make sure that there is nothing plugged in / in use in the bedrooms or else the breaker trips. I would LOVE to have a 220v outlet, more outlets, and dedicated breaker for my garage.

After that, my list of tools would definitely change, LOL.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:06 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
The tool I can't live without, for me at least, is electricity. My house is an older house and I only have two outlets in my garage and said two outlets in my garage have shared power with my 3 bedrooms. This being the case, whenever I use my air compressor, I have to make sure that there is nothing plugged in / in use in the bedrooms or else the breaker trips. I would LOVE to have a 220v outlet, more outlets, and dedicated breaker for my garage.

After that, my list of tools would definitely change, LOL.
I have this same issue; my garage has no power, as of yet.

I have a huge pile of stuff to put a 200A service in the garage, but I'm going to have to deal with utility stuff.

My 120V compressor is nice, but it won't last.

My favorite tool of all is being ambidextrous.

Some things are right-handed, some are left-handed; being able to do both rules.

As a bonus, when working on a computer, I can use either hand as a mouse hand, no prob.
Woodman likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:58 PM
PostWhore

Garage
I think the best thing I ever invested in was the Makita LION LXT set: in particular the impact gun, angle grinder, and drill are all heavily used. I no longer have to wait for power.
Other little tools are obvious: compression tester for compression and vacuum testing, you need the etorx to drop the subframe or the bigger Torx to pull things like the tensioner but I only learned the value of some of them after people showed me how much easier they make life for you.
Examples worth mentioning:

- Good headlamp: discussed here. best work light for cramped areas?

- Detachable zipties: this might be more useful in a racecar than a show car but did you know they make zipties you can detach without any tools? I didn't until a buddy who works at 3M showed up with a few packets for me for my first race. I now keep them in stock and buy more when. Example
60 Pcs 12" inch Heavy Duty Releasable 50 Lbs Nylon Cable Zip Tie Black Wire | eBay

- 9mil nitrile gloves: another item I keep regularly stocked up on from HF. Perhaps I'm a pansy here but I don't like getting covered in grime. I use them until they tear and get another pair. This isn't a condom here so I don't see the value in thin or powered ver.

- Coveralls: I often don't have much time to work on the car (30 min here, 1 hr there) so being able to go from under the car to presentable in a short amount of time is useful. I've torn the knees out of a bunch of them (to the point where even using old jeans as patches wasn't sufficient) but the last pair I've bought seems to have lasted far longer than the previous sets. I think I looked for the thickest weight possible since I never found full coveralls with double knees. It also helps that it hardly ever gets hot enough to sweat in my garage in SF. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SW3Q7E

- 40 or 60pc Tap and Die set from HF: working on an older car means dealing with crudded up bolts/holes. This $40 set has been invaluable for the # of bolts/holes I've been able to clean up before reassembly. Since I bought this set 3-4 years ago, the only addition I had to make was a set of NPT taps/dies (<$8 from HF) so I could install a plug in my GT40/Explorer lower intakes EGR piping.

- Offset Hose removal tool: makes removing rubber hoses without cutting them even if they've been attached to a metal pipe for a long time a TON easier.

- Shop vac: don't just get the cheapest 5 gal one from HF; spend a few more bucks and get the one with a higher HP rating and it will still give an acceptable amount of suckage for a longer period before you have to clean the filters. I didn't learn how awesome this was until after I bought one and was given the opportunity to upgrade to a friend's unit (sold mine on Craiglist for a few bucks).

- Crows Feet sockets: Sometimes you get in a random spot where you can't quite tighten a given bolt (key example: bolt ut that holds the distributor down is hard to reach with a socket or even a wrench on a 5.0).

- 6pt sockets (deep and shallow) in addition to 12pt sockets: after completing a set and buying all the missing sizes in a given set of 12pt sockets, I found the next good investment of money is buying a 6pt set. Why? No more rounding bolts. I reach for the 6pt set whenever it's convenient and for the tbird, I found I mostly use the 3/8" tools vs 1/2" and 1/4" drive.

I don't have the room for a monster compressor and considering my garage is also my basement (living on a hill), running a compressor would be too disruptive for my toddler sleeping (when it was just my wife I didn't worry about it so much).

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:30 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I have this same issue; my garage has no power, as of yet.

I have a huge pile of stuff to put a 200A service in the garage, but I'm going to have to deal with utility stuff.

My 120V compressor is nice, but it won't last.

My favorite tool of all is being ambidextrous.

Some things are right-handed, some are left-handed; being able to do both rules.

As a bonus, when working on a computer, I can use either hand as a mouse hand, no prob.
Year before last my garage suddenly lost power. Dug up the line to find out it was indoor romex buried about 3" deep around my driveway, and it broke where it goes into the house because they poured a concrete step over it, and when the ground froze, thawed, froze, thawed it broke the romex. So a lot of digging and some underground PCV later, I have a properly buried outdoor rated power line on it's own circuit breaker run out to the garage.

Really not that hard to do, just make sure you're in conduit, and at least a foot deep underground. Keep it in conduit using elbows, etc until it gets into the garage and your house.

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 06:52 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller View Post
My garage is a driveway and I don't have the lift so my air tools might be the most help like not having the hit the ground to remove lug nuts every time or....

My Homer Simpson bottle opener with audio "HE HE HE BEEEEER".

I got super dirty today but it was finally nice weather. Did LOF on the truck and changed springs in my Detroit style rear locker with fluid change and changed out the winter spare tire.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:32 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck95 View Post
Do you have a 2 post or 4 post lift? I think if I bought one today I would go with a 4.
4 post.

Accessories include a pair of hydraulic sliding jacks, led light strips and a 110 volt winch that bolts to the front which is handy for winching disabled vehicles up onto the lift.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:57 PM

Having the spanner wrench for the Super Coupe is a MUST have. Gotta get an 18mm box wrench for the LX when it comes time to UCAs for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.