Code reader recommendation - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Code reader recommendation

Been busy as of late helping my neighbor with some several Gen II Exploders. What is a Code reader that can read Tranny and ABS codes and ideally perform diagnostic routines I used to on OBD-I. Also is this something Quarter Horse could ?

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 06:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
Been busy as of late helping my neighbor with some several Gen II Exploders. What is a Code reader that can read Tranny and ABS codes and ideally perform diagnostic routines I used to on OBD-I. Also is this something Quarter Horse could ?
Gaining access to the OBD2 will be far easier than trying to access the ECU for a QH module. I don't think that's the right tool for you. OBD2 readers are CHEAP to read standard codes. A handheld is fairly convenient but the BT module gives you flexibility to do more stuff (if the car is capable of it)
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiSca...dp/B001LHVOVK/

For my Prius, I did some basic recoding (changing the behavior of the door locks and turning off the annoying reverse dinging) with a $2-4 OBD2 dongle from eBay
Pro ELM327 V2.1 OBD2 Bluetooth WIFI Car Auto Diagnostic Interface Scanner F0 | eBay
Plus the Torque PRO Android app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en

For some cars though you might need a more specialized tool. Example:
Audis have this software called VCDS (formerly VAGCOM) which was ~$200 (or you buy the knockoff cable and roll the dice with the "lite" $99 SW).
Alternative for $70.
https://shopdap.com/store/vw-audi-sc...Gy0aAmPp8P8HAQ

Quarterhorse is best for doing DIY tuning and turning off functions that your ECU controls. The downside is that unlike an SCT programmer, it does not reflash the existing ECU with your changes (when your ECU boots up it reads the QH module hung off of it's J3 interface. Instead, you must either leave the QH module in place on top of the stock ECU on the car or in addition to the $250 QH module (which lets you READ the ECU), you must also buy a J3 programmer ($75) to write to an F3v2 memory adapter and leave that F3 adapter ($75) hooked up to the ECU on the car. When you add in the cost of the QH module ($250) plus the Binary Editor SW $100 and the strategy (config file to interpret the ECU image) @ $25, it's not the tool you are necessarily looking for.
-g

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

Last edited by S4gunn; 03-29-2017 at 06:39 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
For OBD2 stuff I use the OBDlink adapters and Torque and Car Gauge apps depending on vehicle.

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:58 PM
3rd Gear Poster

If you are working on mostly Ford vehicles FORScan is pretty much free and will access almost any system and module. You run it on PC so you obviously need an OBD to laptop interface. It will do much more on any Ford vehicle then a normal obd2 scanner you can buy will do. Even lets you get into the PATS system if you have "key issues", and will get you into the air ride systems if you have it

96 Cougar Sport
96 Tbird LX
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 07:22 AM
PostWhore

Will the FORScan do anything like change WOT shift points back to normal after a J-mod, or eliminate the timing retard at shifts (really hate that one!)

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I mentions QH because it will have other uses, planning a EFI swap into a 63 Fairlane plus other things, though yes most everything right now is FOMOCO.

FORScan looks interesting.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:56 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
Will the FORScan do anything like change WOT shift points back to normal after a J-mod, or eliminate the timing retard at shifts (really hate that one!)

Al
Older cars it can't do any tuning or programing. From what I have read on newer models it can somewhat. It's popular on the Ford truck forums, that's where I found out about it.

TBH I have never hooked it up to my MN12s. Maybe I will soon and see if I does anything besides scan codes and read sensor data

96 Cougar Sport
96 Tbird LX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.