30th cougar on ebay - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

30th cougar on ebay

1997 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Sedan 2-Door | eBay

A good looking 30th on ebay, It's located in Ohio, I'd be concerned about some rust underneath or hidden somewhere, but she looks real nice.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 05:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Wickliffe, eh? About 40 minutes from here.

I can take a look in person for anyone seriously interested.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 235k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:19 AM
PostWhore

Damn, that looks nice! A 97 with climate control, auto headlights, sunroof, that is rare. And I am jealous.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
Damn, that looks nice! A 97 with climate control, auto headlights, sunroof, that is rare. And I am jealous.

Al
Al, We could do a road trip if you like.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Looks like there might be some rust issues. Just looking at the front shock towers
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 06:37 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
I don't see any rust....
Man it's nice to see a car taken care of. You know a grandma and granddad had that car and treated it nicely! Tiny bit of wear on the driver's door, but that's easy to fix. The leather's holding up nicely.

That's a cruising machine!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 08:13 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The shock tower to apron seams have rust, but it's really not a problem area.

-Matt
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

That shock tower is minimal, mine was from Ohio and daily driven from my understanding. The rear sunroof drains badly damaged the body and the shock tower where the fingers meet the frame rusted. Then ultimately the rear subframe to frame rotted away. Hidden things would be brake lines also. All in all, that is a very beautiful car and is extremely nice for 20 years in the north.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:34 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd-7 View Post
Al, We could do a road trip if you like.
People from the North travel to the South to buy cars, not the other way around! I grew up in the rust belt. Even if you park the car inside, they get a little rust on them out of sympathy.

I just noticed the shock tower rust on that car, that is not a good sign. It is amazing how far water travels into the engine compartment. You don't realize it unless it contains salt.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 11:07 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd-7 View Post
That shock tower is minimal, mine was from Ohio and daily driven from my understanding. The rear sunroof drains badly damaged the body and the shock tower where the fingers meet the frame rusted. Then ultimately the rear subframe to frame rotted away. Hidden things would be brake lines also. All in all, that is a very beautiful car and is extremely nice for 20 years in the north.
The sunroof drains would have no effect on the shock tower fingers, the front hoses drain into the front of the rockers under the fender, the rails under the fingers rust because Ford in their infinite wisdom sprayed a blob of expansion foam in there, directly above the hole where the wheel liner clips in and the whole thing turns into a sponge in a humid climate. The sunroofs effect on rust is debatable in general, of all the rotted out Chicago area MN12s I've looked at model year has more to do with the severity than the presence of a sunroof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
People from the North travel to the South to buy cars, not the other way around! I grew up in the rust belt. Even if you park the car inside, they get a little rust on them out of sympathy.

I just noticed the shock tower rust on that car, that is not a good sign. It is amazing how far water travels into the engine compartment. You don't realize it unless it contains salt.

Al
Humid climates can wreak havoc too because of all the fabric sound deadener and foam Ford slathered these cars with, my friend's SC came from Florida and it has significant floorpan rust from the inside out, salt will only really start playing havoc after the steel is already compromised. If I wanted a truly rust free car I'd look west, not south.

The shock tower rust isn't a big deal. Look inside your wheelwell, the seam between the panels is clearly exposed to the elements, the wheel liner ends just below it, and the panel gaps are all over the place, allowing for plenty of splash intrusion. The good news is it's mostly just surface rust on the top extending from the bare spotwelded unpainted metal inside the seam, not rust through.

-Matt
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 11:29 AM
1st Gear Poster

Didn't know they used Super Coupe style seats in those years. Personally I think the T-bird looks much better aesthetically but to each their own. It's definitely been taken care of.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjohnston View Post
Didn't know they used Super Coupe style seats in those years. Personally I think the T-bird looks much better aesthetically but to each their own. It's definitely been taken care of.
The seats were only used on the 30th package, not across the line. Ford was probably trying to clear out inventory.

Cougars > Thunderbirds

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.