2018 Thunderbird - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

2018 Thunderbird

Don't know how reliable this is but I haven't seen anything posted here about it.

New Ford Thunderbird 2018 Release date, Price, Design, Specs

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Doubtful. We've seem similar rumors in the past, all the designs were photoshops from hopeful souls like the one in the linked webpage (what they show us is essentially a Taurus, is it not?). If Ford was to resurrect the nameplace it would've been bigger news for sure, and with the market once again being taken over by bigger and fatter trucks and SUVs there's no marketable reason to resurrect a personal luxury segment chassis.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 235k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:22 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Doubtful. We've seem similar rumors in the past, all the designs were Photoshops from hopeful souls like the one in the linked webpage (what they show us is essentially a Taurus, is it not?). If Ford was to resurrect the nameplace it would've been bigger news for sure, and with the market once again being taken over by bigger and fatter trucks and SUVs there's no marketable reason to resurrect a personal luxury segment chassis.
This.

Interesting article though. Thanks for sharing.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:35 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
FWD...nope. That goes against the Thunderbird's DNA.
AWD... I can see that.

It's time for a new T-Bird anyway.... long overdue!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 10:04 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Fake news.

-Matt
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:16 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv View Post
FWD...nope. That goes against the Thunderbird's DNA.
AWD... I can see that.

It's time for a new T-Bird anyway.... long overdue!
Fake news.
It's an opinion page and not an actual Ford statement. The dead giveaway is that of of mad grammar fail in the second sentence...

Quote:
This is mostly because the personal luxury car market was in the bring of extinction.
Anyway, IF Ford were to bring back the T-Bird, like it or not, I can see it being put on an FWD platform such as the Taurus simply because that is the way things are going. I can also see it being put on a Mustang platform and have it be slower than the Mustang. The problem with the latter one though, is that I don't see Ford putting another car in the same platform as the Mustang because it's Ford's bread and butter in the sports car segment (The Focus ST / RS don't count because of where it's priced and only people looking for one of those will want it).

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Not to mention Mustang sales are already shit and no automaker is investing money in car lines when the crossover segment is exploding. I've said it in every one of these yearly revival threads, the Thunderbird's best chance of coming back would be just that, a luxury CUV.

-Matt
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 01:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Not to mention Mustang sales are already shit and no automaker is investing money in car lines when the crossover segment is exploding. I've said it in every one of these yearly revival threads, the Thunderbird's best chance of coming back would be just that, a luxury CUV.
Like it or not, the Tbird as a CUV makes sense when you see that Ford did the same thing with the Town Car. I know the first time I noticed those Lincoln MKT's labeled as a town car I did a double take.

Bottom Line is that Ford and not the enthusiasts own the brand and they will do whatever makes them the most money.
Cougars already went FWD with that Eclipse knockoff before they killed off that marquee.

BTW, don't bother clicking on the link as this is merely google search bait (make crap news, generate links, generate revenue).
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 05-01-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Merge posts
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 05:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Between NASCAR rule changes and the SUV our T-bird is dead and those that want/remember the non LTDs are dieing off, its not coming back. Lincoln is on life support so there is no market for it, or a Mark IX.

The Mustang is competing for budget performance, Ecoboost through the GT350R and Shelby. Dodge and GM beat it but at a very high premium.

The only way I see a T-bird to exist is a Miata clone.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
Between NASCAR rule changes and the SUV our T-bird is dead and those that want/remember the non LTDs are dieing off, its not coming back. Lincoln is on life support so there is no market for it, or a Mark IX.

The Mustang is competing for budget performance, Ecoboost through the GT350R and Shelby. Dodge and GM beat it but at a very high premium.

The only way I see a T-bird to exist is a Miata clone.
1) Since when has the small sports coupe market made much money (or enough to entice Ford)?
- The miata JUST made their 1 millionth car in 2016 after being in the market since 1990 (27 years).
Mazda builds 1 millionth MX-5 - Autoblog
- In comparison, the tbird that Ford killed shipped >1.1M units in 8 years and was still killed.

2) Competitors would include the BRZ/Toyota 86. The production # are micenuts.
deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2
Subaru BRZ US car sales figures

CA is apparently the biggest market for this car and while I do see them, they aren't that common.

Bottom Line: While I think Ford could make a more luxury focused/softened car on the mustang platform and call it a tbird, they almost certainly won't bother.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:14 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

I still want an MN12 3D printed in Titanium.

I only need the unibody...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
1) Since when has the small sports coupe market made much money (or enough to entice Ford)?
- The miata JUST made their 1 millionth car in 2016 after being in the market since 1990 (27 years).
- In comparison, the tbird that Ford killed shipped >1.1M units in 8 years and was still killed.

CA is apparently the biggest market for this car and while I do see them, they aren't that common.

Bottom Line: While I think Ford could make a more luxury focused/softened car on the mustang platform and call it a tbird, they almost certainly won't bother.

-g
Agreed. Ford ditched the notion of the Thunderbird being a two seater after three years and sales of the big 4 seater 58-60 luxobarge replacements were triple that of the 55-57s. Plus the Miata is a truly pure bred sports car, the 55-57 Thunderbird was really a typical 50s Ford with sports car styling, it was not dynamically close to true British/Italian sports cars of the era(which the Miata is copied from) or even the Corvette after the improvements in 56.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 05-02-2017 at 07:53 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:42 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post

-g
IDK how many Lincolns you see out in NorCal, but here in SoCal I see lots of MkZ around. The other Mk's I see are the C and X, but not nearly in as large numbers as the MkZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I still want an MN12 3D printed in Titanium.

I only need the unibody...
Buy yourself a large enough 3D printer and raw titanium to feed it? Here's the winning lotto numbers: 13, 25, 28, 45, 59 | 20

My required cut for those numbers is just 2% of the jackpot winnings

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.