Originally Posted by Teal94thunderbird
Thanks I believe it's hairy glass with the doors. I will try to keep posted on the build how can I post pics here?
- 302 w/ M5R2
- no glass except front windshield
- no side mirrors
- no interior except corbeau seat
- No dash except small dash frame section to hold steering wheel
- Skinned doors with window surround cut out (just a shell)
- Skinned rear interior & parcel shelf
- All excess wiring removed back to the harness plugs (~80lbs worth IIRC)
- No carpet & all sound deadening scrapped up and removed
- Fiberglass skin instead of trunklid
- Second wiper arm removed (cut down wiper assembly)
- Windshield washer pump removed
- EVAP canister/emissions stuff removed
- exhaust modified (single 3" pipe going back w/ 1 cherry bomb and 1 flowmaster for mufflers. no cats)
- cruise control removed
- All HVAC stuff removed
- No spare tire well (26ga steel sheet cover)
- skinned hood (no subframe bracing)
- Full 6pt lemons cage. (~200LB) http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/image...eMons-Tech.pdf
When the car had a 3.8L N/A, I corner weighed the car and got exactly 3000LBs.
The engine added another 150LB to 3150LB total.
My subframe braces might have added a few LBs but the radiator swap (stock to griffin), the oil cooler, the hoses, and the accusump shouldn't have added more than 10LBs total.
Net result is NOT a streetable car.
Even if you swap out the hood and doors for fiberglass counterparts, the best you save is 10s of Lbs compared to the skinned ones I have now. Even lightweight wheels, an AJE subframe, and a MKVIII rear end won't save you more than a few more 10s of LBs. Perhaps the biggest savings would be to put in a small (like 1gallon) fuel cell but the net result would be a single purpose car (living your life 1 qtr mi run at a time between refills). If you went all out and went all aluminum on the engine, you could probably break under 3000Lbs but I doubt you will be able to get farther below that w/ a V8.
Bottom Line: this is a fat car. If you want to go light with a Ford V8 in a cheap RWD car with IRS, think SBF swap into a 1st gen RX7 or 240ZX or even a turbobrick Volvo 240DL. All those cars start at 2400-2800LBs and can go down from there.