How the hell is a US Navy ship struck by a container transport? - TCCoA Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grog6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
How the hell is a US Navy ship struck by a container transport?

Any of you Navy guys care to answer this one?

BTW, my condolences to the families of the missing/dead crewmen and/or women.

What a sad day for the US Navy.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Not a Navy guy, but I suspect there were numerous parties at fault on both vessels.

If only one hadn't been paying attention, the other should have been able to maneuver out of harm's way...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 235k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:46 AM
4th Gear Poster

I spent some time aboard ship, 1963-65. One of my occasional assignments was on deck watchman. This involved being equipped with high powered binoculars during the day, but at night, I had to keep my eyes on the radar scope. Any vessel within our range would show up on the scope. When one did, it was my duty to report it to the officer on deck, and continue tracking it on radar.

Someone fell asleep at the switch, so to speak.

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird Bob View Post
I spent some time aboard ship, 1963-65. One of my occasional assignments was on deck watchman. This involved being equipped with high powered binoculars during the day, but at night, I had to keep my eyes on the radar scope. Any vessel within our range would show up on the scope. When one did, it was my duty to report it to the officer on deck, and continue tracking it on radar.

Someone fell asleep at the switch, so to speak.
Yea, that's for sure. Probably that and an over reliance on modern electronics to do their job(s) for them. Personally, I hope, and expect, that some individuals will be held criminally responsible under UCMJ. It will be interesting to follow the investigation and the follow up and see what or who exactly they blame it on.

So sad, ... I read that the bodies of the missing sailors were recovered from flooded compartments on the ship and all are accounted for.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:45 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Yea, that's for sure. Probably that and an over reliance on modern electronics to do their job(s) for them. Personally, I hope, and expect, that some individuals will be held criminally responsible under UCMJ. It will be interesting to follow the investigation and the follow up and see what or who exactly they blame it on.

So sad, ... I read that the bodies of the missing sailors were recovered from flooded compartments on the ship and all are accounted for.
Ponder this: I was discussing the situation with a friend. Now mind you, back in my days aboard ship - there were no women on board, no female distractions. My buddy wondered if some sexual hanky panky was taking place before the collision. Does anyone know if they use security cameras on ships now days? If so, maybe the tape will tell the tale, if someone was getting some tail.

Here is a link to an outstanding article I just read about this incident. There is a lot we know -- and don't know -- about the USS Fitzgerald collision - CNN.com

My take away thoughts: Perhaps Gordon Lightfoot would add a verse to The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. My second thought, if only our countries leaders would accept as much accountability for wrong doing, as we expect from our military leaders.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 06-19-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Merge posts
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Interesting article. Thanks for the link Bob.

I can't imagine that anyone ON DUTY would be participating in such hanky-panky. Especially those in critical CIC and operations positions such as the radar operator, navigator or whatever equivalent positions have anything to do with knowing what the hell is around the ship at any given moment. Even if someone were looking for a liaison I'd imagine that that sort of activity would at least be reserved for off duty time.

As the article says, all we can do now is wait for the answers that should be forthcoming in the next weeks and months.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:45 PM

It is strange as even on a sporty boat you can set sonar and radar alarms.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:13 PM
4th Gear Poster

Maybe there was distracted cruising, texting while on duty, and not paying attention.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:15 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

The North Koreans put Stealth coatings on all the front surfaces of the cargo boat, so it was invisible!

That's pretty crazy, but I bet we'll hear something close to that before it's all over.
Tbird Bob likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 06:42 AM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

Possibly the container ship was behaving badly.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
11.97@ 109.35
3880 lbs. w/driver.

Bradenton Spring Brake Shootout 03/04/2017.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:51 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
What's tragic, they found the lost sailors...all dead.... RIP
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:06 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r429460 View Post
Possibly the container ship was behaving badly.
You would think if you saw a ship bearing down on you, you would treat it as an attack; full alert, and all.

These guys got hit amidships; it looks like an oblique hit, or they were turning, but still ... right in the middle.

I know WWII battle ships could reverse fast enough to make a torpedo miss; we can't outmanuver a freaking container ship?

We should put turbines on the old Admirals; they're probably spinning fast enough to make some power...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 09:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv View Post
What's tragic, they found the lost sailors...all dead.... RIP
Yep... and one of them lived down the road from here (Elyria). News around here said he went back into the berthing area after the impact and helped save some 20 sailors before he got trapped.

http://fox8.com/2017/06/19/he-died-a...ald-collision/

I also saw that the container ship made a sharp turn at 0130 local time, then shortly after that made a U-turn and returned to the area it made the sharp turn. Hmmmm....

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 235k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 06-20-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.