The computer thread! What's your build look like? - Page 4 - TCCoA Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 206 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Is that my old GTX480 ? I sold it to someone here when I got the 570 about 3 years ago. I'm too lazy to look up who it was.
Yyyyyep!

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 235k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #92 of 206 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Spent money?
Actually only about $150! Frame rates are nearly doubled in every game I play, so I came out on top for the power to performance ratio

-Daniel

My driving is a constant struggle between wanting good gas mileage and driving like I'm Mario Andretti.

http://forums.tccoa.com/30-videos-images/134659-pacific-green-bird-4.html

1997 Pacific Green Thunderbird LX- Stock 201xxx miles Daily Driver
post #93 of 206 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Is that my old GTX480 ? I sold it to someone here when I got the 570 about 3 years ago. I'm too lazy to look up who it was.
Quote:
Yyyyyep!
Cool. Glad to see she's still getting the job done for you!

It's kinda neat seeing a picture of it again - in its new home. I haven seen that card in 3 years.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #94 of 206 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 04:46 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperThunderbirdLX View Post
Actually only about $150! Frame rates are nearly doubled in every game I play, so I came out on top for the power to performance ratio
A dual GPU setup will do that. It's like adding a SC to our 4.6s

Personally though, I'd rather do a single high end GPU over a dual GPU setup. .....That is unless the GPU is already the high end GPU and a second one is needed, lol.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #95 of 206 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
A dual GPU setup will do that. It's like adding a SC to our 4.6s

Personally though, I'd rather do a single high end GPU over a dual GPU setup. .....That is unless the GPU is already the high end GPU and a second one is needed, lol.
I bought this computer off someone for cheaper than it would be to build it, but they had a 650TI Boost in there. Found one on Ebay for fairly cheap (~$150) and now I have about GTX 770 out of my setup for an extra 150. It maxes everything I can throw at it for now. But I plan on going to the EVGA 780 6GB edition when I get the money.

-Daniel

My driving is a constant struggle between wanting good gas mileage and driving like I'm Mario Andretti.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=134659&page=4

post #96 of 206 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperThunderbirdLX View Post
I bought this computer off someone for cheaper than it would be to build it, but they had a 650TI Boost in there. Found one on Ebay for fairly cheap (~$150) and now I have about GTX 770 out of my setup for an extra 150. It maxes everything I can throw at it for now. But I plan on going to the EVGA 780 6GB edition when I get the money.
When I was your age, the best GPU on the market was the GeForce 7900 GTX. I never had one, but I did get a secondhand 7900 GT for $150 when I did my first system build a year later. It was a good feeling.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #97 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 06:02 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I just upgraded the proc in my box

came from a i7 930 @ 4.2 ht on tooooo......
a Xeon x5650 Hex core 12 thread beast 4.4ghz ht on while using less power than the old 930 quad.

1997 Royal Blue Metallic 4.6l
Pioneer P8400H
Diamond Audio D6 5x7's Driven by Hiffonics 4ch
Alpine Type R 12's
PRB Brakes
Tweecer Tuned by me
post #98 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Too bad hard drives haven't advanced (at least in terms of speed) at the same rate processors and video cards have in the last 5 years...

-Brandon

post #99 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 06:31 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Too bad hard drives haven't advanced (at least in terms of speed) at the same rate processors and video cards have in the last 5 years...
Get a Solid State Drive and be amazed!

Hard drives are history! They're not going to get any better in terms of speed.

I'm just glad to see that their reliability has gotten so much better along with their capacity increases over the years along with a nice steady decrease in price vs.capacity.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #100 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:

I'm just glad to see that their reliability has gotten so much better along with their capacity increases over the years along with a nice steady decrease in price vs.capacity.
I've had one since 2011.

I have my OS only on it (about 1/3 space used). Programs, page file, other data is all stored on platters. I think it's a good compromise.

-Brandon

post #101 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:

While this is true for laptops and tablets, I'm not so sure that magnetic media is "history" and will be around for quite a while.

Most folks (myself included) cannot afford to buy terabytes worth of SSDs to store entertainment media (video, etc). Furthermore, for a PC that sits in a closet acting as a home server, it's not really necessary.

With 3TB drives under <$100 now, you can easily buy two of them and setup any stupid machine to mirror the drives and have fully backed up (although wasteful) storage for less than what a 500GB SSD would run you.

That's not a bad deal.
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #102 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 06:50 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
I've had one since 2011.

I have my OS only on it (about 1/3 space used). Programs, page file, other data is all stored on platters. I think it's a good compromise.
If you have enough RAM in your system, 8GB (minimum) or more for most people, then a page file really isn't needed unless a program complains about there not being a page file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Most folks (myself included) cannot afford to buy terabytes worth of SSDs to store entertainment media (video, etc). Furthermore, for a PC that sits in a closet acting as a home server, it's not really necessary.

With 3TB drives under <$100 now, you can easily buy two of them and setup any stupid machine to mirror the drives and have fully backed up (although wasteful) storage for less than what a 500GB SSD would run you.

That's not a bad deal.
-g
If I had the funds, 2x 240GB - 256GB SSDs RAID 0 for OS, 2x 512GB SSDs RAID 0 for games, 5x 4TB RAID 5 in a NAS for storage .

Last time I priced something like that out, it came out to something like $2,500 just for the storage devices....

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #103 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 07:01 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

I fixed a solder joint yesterday for a guy who still has a computer running with core memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic-core_memory

A 1k section was a board ~11x17, covered with wire-wrap wire and ferrite donuts.

A wire was broken, so I soldered it back.

Lol, so now I can say my soldering skillz are so roxorz that I can fix ram.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #104 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 08:08 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I've had one since 2011.

I run my OS and programs off of my 250GB SSD (73% utilization) that I installed in January of this year, with other data stored on platters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Quote:

While this is true for laptops and tablets, I'm not so sure that magnetic media is "history" and will be around for quite a while.

That's not a bad deal.
-g
Yes, I agree. Thanks for expanding upon what I said.

I understand that SSDs are pricy and that speed for general storage isn't really necessary. You're preaching to the choir.

What I said is that magnetic media is "history" as far as having reached its relative speed pinnacle compared to Solid State Drives.

"Hard drives are history! They're not going to get any better in terms of speed. " -tm

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 08-06-2014 at 08:43 PM.
post #105 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 12:28 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
If I had the funds, 2x 240GB - 256GB SSDs RAID 0 for OS, 2x 512GB SSDs RAID 0 for games, 5x 4TB RAID 5 in a NAS for storage .
I had dreams of large storage, once upon a time.. those data requirements have since joined the way of sdr-SDRAM (edit - forgot 'sdram' is still technically correct, just I think 'ddr' is more used than the other) in recent years (gone). Since a large raid5 was mentioned here, a little long but definitely worth a read: http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1670144

tl;dr
Spinning disks have gotten so large in capacity, but improvements in error rates have not kept pace or not improved at all. This increases the likelihood of a rebuild failure as the size of the array grows. Raid5 is 1 disk-equivalent of parity, Raid6 is 2.

Seagate 4GB ST34321A error rate is 1e-14
Seagate 4TB ST4000DM000 error rate is 1e-14.

That's 3 orders of magnitude increase in size with no increase in reliability of reads.

And just so I'm on-topic.. my funds are limited these days, so I'm on:
Intel i5-4570
8GB RAM
GTX750
128GB SSD
1TB HDD

a black car.

Last edited by Sophosis; 08-07-2014 at 12:30 AM. Reason: sdram
post #106 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 04:15 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
We finished it up about 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon. Many thanks to Red97Tbird for his help and expertise and most of all patience!

First of all the MSI Z87-G45 Gaming motherboard that I got was to big to fit in my tower apparently it has an "M" board in it so we had to get a GIGABYTE Z87M-D3H board to take it's place.

We had a compatibility issue with the card reader we were trying to install and had to back up and punt. The guy at INTREX computers wanted to see the issue so we had to drag my case over there and "show" him.

He gave us another card reader off the shelf to try and it did the same thing so it was a compatibility issue and not a problem with the card reader itself.

I must say the new CPU and 16 GB of RAM at 2133 Mhz kicks azz! I'll upgrade the GPU later this year and probably add another 16 GB of RAM bringing the total up to 32 GB.

So here's the final build:
  • Alienware Aurora Case
  • GIGABYTE Z87M-D3H Motherboad
  • Intel Quad-Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W - Not Overclocked
  • 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM @ 2133 MHz (PC3 17000) Timing: 10-12-12-28
  • NVIDIA Titan X
  • Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium sound card
  • CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i High Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler
  • 850W Power Supply

Some of you had asked, so here's a picture of my new build. Still plenty of room to grow. I like this Alienware tower.

Thanks again to Red97Tbird for putting it together for me.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 11-26-2015 at 06:25 AM.
post #107 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Where I'm at right now:

i5-3570k @4.5 GHz watercoolered
8GB 1600Mhz Corsair RAM
Z77 Sabertooth TUF Motherboard
2x EVGA GTX 650 TI Boost 2GB VRAM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
LiteOn 24x DVD/CD writer
Corsair 550D
Antec nonmodular ( ) 750w Bronze 80+ PSU
3x Asus VS239H-P IPS 23" monitors

And I picked me up a pair of these

and one of these

Links:
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Profession.../dp/B00E8CEW7I
http://www.amazon.com/Topping-TP30-M.../dp/B00J2P9I2A

The speakers are actually a half inch taller than my computer monitors

-Daniel

Last edited by SuperThunderbirdLX; 08-07-2014 at 05:22 PM.
post #108 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 PM

Guys, this is what I use to rate my systems:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

ftp://ftp.cpuid.com/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.70-setup-en.exe for Windows...

My current setup; back to stock until I get thru with some DVD operations, lol.
http://valid.x86.fr/p15xiu

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

post #109 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 09:50 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Wow! Nice rig Grog.

... In related computer news I stumbled upon this article today. Scary things are a foot!

IBM = Cyberdyne!

We're still a long way from brain level computing but they're working on it!

Reminds me of this:

post #110 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
Quote:
Wow! Nice rig Grog.

... In related computer news I stumbled upon this article today. Scary things are a foot!

IBM = Cyberdyne!

We're still a long way from brain level computing but they're working on it!

Reminds me of this:

Ron that is pretty wild, also reminds me of when I stumbled upon this, oh the irony...those Japanese.

http://www.cyberdyne.jp/english/

I drive an endangered species...they are being crushed at an alarming rate. Please do your part to preserve the Cougar species, and ensure they live on into the future.

1995 Mercury Cougar XR-7 4.6L 2V 5 Speed
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Collector's Edition Car#94
2009 BMW 535i M Sport Package
post #111 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 12:00 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Cat View Post
Ron that is pretty wild, also reminds me of when I stumbled upon this, oh the irony...those Japanese.

http://www.cyberdyne.jp/english/
I actually met a marketing representative from that company a few years ago when I used to work in the Industrial PC / Data storage enclosure company, HabeyUSA.

He told my collegues and I that the Terminator movies is where they got the name for the company since they were a robotics company. They felt it went in line with their products.

post #112 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 07:53 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Red97Tbird
About to start building my new rig.. Going to probably take 2 months to get it all done. Water cooling my current rig. Going to use ridged tubing ( acrylic hard tubing). Also using acrylic to cover all the cables in the case. So there will be no visible cables when looking in the side window of the case.
Here is my current parts so far.
3930k Intel Hex core @4.7ghz
4x4gigs ram Quad channel
dual amd 290's 4gig .. Soon to be tripple
Gigabyte ga-x79-ud5 Mother Board
EVGA 1300 G2 PSU
96gig SSD at the moment about to upgrade to a 256 SSD
Huge 9x140mm Radiator love this thing lol larger then most car radiators lol

Just got a 21:9 ratio monitor 29inch, 2560x1080.. Love love this monitor.

4.6 explorer motor,Water meth injection, V1 Vortech, 3.48 pully,BBK 78mm, Dirty Dog 9.5 converter 3500 stall, RobertP built trans, 8.8 rear with trac lock, 3.73 gears, BrainCoating manifolds, Dual 2.5" exhaust.
post #113 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:30 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
LOL No doubt about the size of that car radiator~! I never imagined that you could cool a PC with a car sized radiator until I saw yours!

Tell me more about your new monitor ... I'm wanting to add another monitor to my set up.

Oh, and BTW, did you put that motherboard I left you in your wife's PC? Is it working good for her?

post #114 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:10 PM
6th Gear Poster

Haha yea it's a little big but cool's nice and quiet. The new monitor is great. Perfect color out of the box. Calibrated the contrast and brightness a bit. But other then that great monitor. You would love it because it's so wide it's like having 2 17 inch monitors side by side with no bar in the middle. Comes with a program so you can click it and it will take 2 programs and split them down the middle or up to 4 programs. Work well for your video editing. It's a LG 29UM65-p. On sale right now at best buy for 399 usually 499, got one open box for 335.

Yea I put that board in my wife's computer...
msi z87-g45 Gaming
CPU pentium g3258@4.5ghz Killer fast for the 50 bucks I paid for the cpu
8 gigs of ram
96gig ssd
amd 270x 2gig video card
corsair 750watt PSU
LG blu-ray drive.
Corsair H50 all in one water cooler
Rack mounted case

Yes my wife games lol Was kicking my ass in Plants VS zombies garden warfare tonight.

4.6 explorer motor,Water meth injection, V1 Vortech, 3.48 pully,BBK 78mm, Dirty Dog 9.5 converter 3500 stall, RobertP built trans, 8.8 rear with trac lock, 3.73 gears, BrainCoating manifolds, Dual 2.5" exhaust.
post #115 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:33 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
LOL

One of my Co-workers is a big fan of that game. I watched him play for a few hours one night laughing my ass off the whole time.

Did you figure out what's going on with your home theater? Your projector didn't take a crap did it?

post #116 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 08:44 AM
6th Gear Poster

Yea I had a hdmi cable on the tv upstairs that wasn't making a good connection messing up the whole system. Unplugged and replugged and works fine now. I hate hdmi hand shaking. That game is fun. I have a copy on xbox one for my son and 2 copies on pc one for my wife and one for me. It's on sale for 18 bucks right now great game.

post #117 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Do you have steam? Silly question probably!

What games do you usually play? Hopefully not some crap like World of Tanks.

I also have Garden Warfare, really fun game!

-Daniel

post #118 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 12:39 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red97Tbird View Post
Yea I put that board in my wife's computer...
msi z87-g45 Gaming
CPU pentium g3258@4.5ghz Killer fast for the 50 bucks I paid for the cpu
8 gigs of ram
96gig ssd
amd 270x 2gig video card
corsair 750watt PSU
LG blu-ray drive.
Corsair H50 all in one water cooler
Rack mounted case

Yes my wife games lol Was kicking my ass in Plants VS zombies garden warfare tonight.
Although it's a good performer for its value, the CPU is still bottlnecking the video card for gaming. Later on, I'd say upgrade her at least to an i5-4670 or i5-4670k to open up the GPU .

post #119 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 06:35 PM
6th Gear Poster

So far the cpu has only been sitting around 50% usage. Havnt seen it bottle neck on anything she plays yet. If it starts to I'll toss something bigger in there. Plants vs zombies runs on the same engine as battle field 4 so I think she is good for a while. Granted that's running mantel and not dx11.

post #120 of 206 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Guys, this is what I use to rate my systems:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

ftp://ftp.cpuid.com/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.70-setup-en.exe for Windows...

My current setup; back to stock until I get thru with some DVD operations, lol.
http://valid.x86.fr/p15xiu
Man, I feel bad.

No one even mentioned the 1203.16 MHz (12 * 100.26 MHz) speed reported on that link, lol.

It slows down if it isn't doing much; like browsing.

http://valid.x86.fr/t66dap

This is the OC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.