2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 09:28 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Well, the 4K monitor came without the hot Korean model as expected ... and I excitedly took it out of the box and carefully set it upon my desk top. Dropped the Titan X in the tower, made all the connections and pushed the power button!

Voila! More pixels than you can shake an Epic Red camera at! Visual bliss! But wait? What's that? 3839 x 2160 not 3840 x 2160?
I've got a friggin' vertical line of dead pixels right outta the box!

I called Samsung up right away and they recommended that I return to NewEgg for a swap vs. making a warranty claim. So I set up a RMA with Newegg and they sent me a return shipping label. Dropped it off this morning and here's hoping for a quick turn around. Samsung said if NewEgg gives me any trouble to let the know.

I went to reinstall my old monitor and found that the Titan X doesn't have a mini HDMI port and I don't have an adapter. So I had to pull it too and put the old graphics card back in. No steps forward and two steps back!
The Titan X is sitting in a corner wrapped in its static proof bag .... it seems so wrong to just leave a Titan X sitting around.
Round 2 ...

Got home from vacation and took delivery of monitor #2. Out of the box it's got some pretty noticeable back light bleed on the left hand side of the monitor in two locations. I ordered up another RMA and will swap again. I'm hoping that the 3rd time is the charm. It's a gorgeous monitor but for the price it better be friggin' perfect!

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 06:57 AM
Seasoned Geek

Third time is usually the charm Ron Good luck

Last edited by Boston-Bull; 06-16-2015 at 11:20 AM.
post #183 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Round 2 ...

Got home from vacation and took delivery of monitor #2. Out of the box it's got some pretty noticeable back light bleed on the left hand side of the monitor in two locations. I ordered up another RMA and will swap again. I'm hoping that the 3rd time is the charm. It's a gorgeous monitor but for the price it better be friggin' perfect!
Monkey, how big is too big? The AMH A399U is 39 inches but highly praised by all the reviews i've seen!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o553bTyFElQ

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMH-A399U-UH...-/321724749333

The EBay link is actually where they are sold through.

-Daniel

My driving is a constant struggle between wanting good gas mileage and driving like I'm Mario Andretti.

http://forums.tccoa.com/30-videos-images/134659-pacific-green-bird-4.html

1997 Pacific Green Thunderbird LX- Stock 201xxx miles Daily Driver

post #184 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 09:18 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Round 3 ...

I have achieved digital viewing bliss !!! Who needs multiple monitors when you can pack all of the pixels onto one!?

The 3rd of these monitors arrived today and she's a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperThunderbirdLX View Post
Monkey, how big is too big? The AMH A399U is 39 inches but highly praised by all the reviews i've seen!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o553bTyFElQ

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMH-A399U-UH...-/321724749333

The EBay link is actually where they are sold through.
The AMH is a really nice monitor. It looks like its got some pretty impressive specs. This 32" on my desktop is plenty big enough! I"m sitting about 28" inches from it and it fills my field of view.

I couldn't imagine sitting in front of a 39". For $580 though you can't beat it! Just make sure you've got a graphics card that can push 4K pixels and the desktop realestate to park it on.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 06-25-2015 at 10:47 PM.
post #185 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
The AMH is a really nice monitor. It looks like its got some pretty impressive specs. This 32" on my desktop is plenty big enough! I"m sitting about 28" inches from it and it fills my field of view.

I couldn't imagine sitting in front of a 39". For $580 though you can't beat it! Just make sure you've got a graphics card that can push 4K pixels and the desktop realestate to park it on.
I think I'm going to get a 4k TV (Maybe that AMH, I need to check for VESA mounts) and another 970. That'll be plenty of power for 4k and I really only want 4k for movies and such. I'll still probably use 5760x1080 for all of my gaming needs.

-Daniel

My driving is a constant struggle between wanting good gas mileage and driving like I'm Mario Andretti.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=134659&page=4

post #186 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Finally got a laptop for school. I scored a deal on a nice used one!

Dell E6430
i5 3320m 2.6Ghz dual core hyperthreaded (turbo 3.1ghz)
8GB 1600Mhz RAM
240GB PNY SSD
Modular bay for 320GB HDD in HDD Caddy or DVD-RW burner (hotswapable)
14 inch 1600x900 screen
Backlit keyboard
9 cell 97WH battery

All for $250 shipped to my door, not bad for a 2 year old business laptop retailing over 1000 dollars.

This laptop will mainly be used for the microsoft office suite and for use with MultiSIM.

It is nice to have something other than a cellphone on the go.

-Daniel

post #187 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 06:29 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Sounds a bit like my T420. I scored one on feebay at the beginning of the year for a mere $200. I've upgraded it since....

Lenovo ThinkPad T420
Intel Core i7-2640m 2.8 GHz (3.5 GHz turbo)
nVidia Quadro NVS 4200m/Intel HD 3000 switchable graphics (Optimus)
8 GB RAM
240 GB SSD + 320 GB HDD
BD-RE UltraBay drive
14" FHD IPS display
9 cell primary + 9 cell slice battery (good for up to 19h hours )

Until Lenovo releases the "Retro ThinkPad" with classic trackpoint, LEDs, and keyboard, this is the newest laptop I'm going to own. No wonky chiclet keyboards or buttonless trackpoint systems for me!

... Have I mentioned I now own 16 (soon to be 17) ThinkPads?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 230k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #188 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:06 AM
Seasoned Geek

Received my new one yesterday as well, Handles all my work with ease! It moves like lighting

• HP Pavillion 17 G015DX
  • 5th Generation Intel i7-5500U with Turbo Boost Technology
  • 750GB HD
  • 6144MB DDR3
  • DVD+RW O Drive
  • Windows 10
  • 17.3 Display
  • Hi Speed Wlan
  • 4-cell, 41Wh lithium-ion battery,
post #189 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Sounds a bit like my T420. I scored one on feebay at the beginning of the year for a mere $200. I've upgraded it since....

Lenovo ThinkPad T420
Intel Core i7-2640m 2.8 GHz (3.5 GHz turbo)
nVidia Quadro NVS 4200m/Intel HD 3000 switchable graphics (Optimus)
8 GB RAM
240 GB SSD + 320 GB HDD
BD-RE UltraBay drive
14" FHD IPS display
9 cell primary + 9 cell slice battery (good for up to 19h hours )

I was considering a Lenovo but backed out because of how sketchy they've been lately, and Dell doesn't whitelist wifi cards like HP and Lenovo does. So you'd have to hack the BIOS to change the wifi card.

Also I like to play with OS X so I wanted to make sure that I could turn this into a Hackintosh, Latitudes are the most popular laptops to Hackintosh.

I actually was very picky about getting one, it had to have a 9 cell and a backbit keyboard, but I didn't want dedicated graphics for battery saving purposes. I have a desktop for horsepower. I have Teamviewer on both, so I can connect whenever I need something.

I do love how Thinkpads look though, just wish IBM was still making them.

-Daniel

post #190 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yeah, they got a lot of bad PR with Superfish on their non-ThinkPad products recently, and in the T/W/X 30, 40 and 50 series laptops they've moved away from the "classic" IBM-devised design cues and features that most "ThinkPadders" take for granted - hence my comment earlier about my T420 being the newest I'll ever use until the enthusiast-started "Retro" project gets off the ground. Anything 50 series or newer has no ODD - and since I work in educational IT, I need access to burn/read discs at a moment's notice to work with the older technology most schools still have in everyday use.

Backlit keyboard? ThinkLight FTW!

The beauty of this model's discrete option is nVidia Optimus. The driver controls whether the discrete GPU is turned on and which applications trigger/use it. 90% of the time it's off and I get exemplary battery life on this thing. With it on it uses about 30% more power, not surprisingly. I can get about 5 hours of gaming on one charge with it on though.

The BIOS WLAN whitelist is a bit of a pain, but there are modded BIOS ROMs out there for just about every model to remove it. I've considered an AC adapter for my T420, but since so few clients have adopted it...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 230k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #191 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Just set up Rainmeter! Easily my favorite utility.

Backlit keyboards are sexy, Thinklight is meh

Optimus is nice, but I don't need this thing other than writing papers and staying busy between classes. Just played it safe. HD 4000 Graphics drive 1600x900 easily. Good enough for me
CDsDontBurn likes this.

-Daniel

post #192 of 202 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 03:45 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Rainmeter is awesome. I discovered it last spring (No pun intended) I'm running it with the Archs and Enigma skins.

I run it on my office laptop but when I tried to run it on my desktop at 4K it doesn't want to play nice with high pixel counts. Unless they've changed it since about May of last year ... ???

post #193 of 202 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 02:15 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
Corsair H110i GTX Liquid cooler should be in tomorrow with some Cougar fans, time to put the chill on this i7 5930K. Also now have 32Gb of RAM.

I drive an endangered species...they are being crushed at an alarming rate. Please do your part to preserve the Cougar species, and ensure they live on into the future.

1995 Mercury Cougar XR-7 4.6L 2V 5 Speed
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Collector's Edition Car#94
post #194 of 202 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:38 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Upgraded my sound card yesterday from the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi to the ZX.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-05-2016 at 09:07 AM.
post #195 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 10:32 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Added another 16 GB of RAM a few days ago. I'm now up to 32GB.

Anybody else beefing up their systems?

I saw that Black cat got the new NVIDIA 1080 ...

post #196 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Added another 16 GB of RAM a few days ago. I'm now up to 32GB.

Anybody else beefing up their systems?

I saw that Black cat got the new NVIDIA 1080 ...
I'm not building a new desktop until after I graduate, but I am building a server

Dual X5670 Processors, 96GB of RAM, 8x2TB (perhaps in the future I'll buy 8 more 2TB drives, getting a 4U case) HDDs in RAID 6. Going to cost somewhere around the 1000 dollar range. Buying used parts, but passmark is in the 12k range. Mainly going to be my Plex box.

I have ESXI free though the school so I will be using it to run all of my VMs instead of having them on my desktop.

-Daniel

post #197 of 202 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 03:38 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
One of the 120mm fans on my CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i CPU Cooler has started making noise so I ordered up a pair of Corsair Magnetic Levitation Fans to replace the stockers with ...

Corsair CO-9050039-WW 120mm ML120, 120mm Premium Magnetic Levitation PWM Fan (2-Pack) - Newegg.com

Anybody else done anything new with their systems lately?

post #198 of 202 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 04:42 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
Ugh, I already need to get another GTX 1080 to SLi with, some games play at 90 FPS in 4K on my TV, and others run at 29; seems to depend on the Engines these developers are using. Ubisoft sucks, and Epic Games Unreal engine is awesome. I think it'll be the last thing I do to my machine.

I drive an endangered species...they are being crushed at an alarming rate. Please do your part to preserve the Cougar species, and ensure they live on into the future.

1995 Mercury Cougar XR-7 4.6L 2V 5 Speed
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Collector's Edition Car#94
post #199 of 202 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 08:20 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
I was at Micro Center here in KC yesterday ... Drool! I'm telling you it was like walking through a Newegg wonderland.

I didn't buy anything but left lots of drool on the floor, the cases, the monitors, the M.2 cards, etc.

They had a 3 TB SSD for like $800 it was insane what you could get there.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

post #200 of 202 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 12:31 AM
PostWhore

I've gotten out of this for the most part now. I just have my puny....5yr old laptop that is has been showing its age now for the last 2yrs. My desktop is still dead and I have no real incentive to rebuild it as rebuilding will require me to replace the motherboard, CPU, and likely the RAM, DDR3 to DDR4. The GPU, I'd be able to bring over, but it's an AMD 7950 so it's also dated by today's standards.

If I do anything, I'll take the CPU, RAM, and storage from my desktop and make a 2U server out of it with some WD Blacks for storage in RAID 5. Doing that though, won't be for a long time....

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #201 of 202 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I'm in the process of building a new computer. I'm not very active on here anymore but I am more so on the Facebook group.

Anyways I decided to build an mini-ITX full power desktop!

Xeon E3-1241 V3 (OCing base multiplier to lock processor at 4Ghz on all 4 cores)
Cryorig C7 CPU cooler
Gigabyte H97N-WIFI Mini-ITX motherboard
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
16GB GSkill RipJaws X DDR3
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (Boot/Program Drive)
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD (Game drive)
Samsung Spinpoint 5400RPM 1TB HDD (Media storage)
Panasonic Blu-ray drive (Free from old laptop)
Fractal Design Integra 450w SFX PSU
Silverstone Raven RVZ02B Mini-ITX Case

I didn't go Skylake because I didn't see a huge benefit in going with DDR4, the Xeon chips run a little cooler than their i7 counterparts as they do not have integrated graphics. I actually bought a lot of this stuff used with receipts online and total cost was right around $900. Overall I'm happy as I was able to sell my old desktop for $700 to a friend.

Size comparison to an Xbox 360 Slim, and a Xbox One (non S)

From all the reading I've done the CPU and GPU will stay under 75C at 100% load, with average load temperatures being around 50-60C

-Daniel

Last edited by SuperThunderbirdLX; 10-25-2016 at 01:19 PM.
post #202 of 202 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 07:18 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

I've been doing upgrades, as stuff gets cheaper.

Xeon upgrades are also popular; I've upgraded my old Pentium D and Core2 duo computers to Xeon dual core 3.7G processors, that was nice.

They're only about 20% below the stock i7-920 now.

I'm looking at upgrades to my beast, an i7-3930k that runs at 4.7GHz most of the time.

There are newer processors that fit; some below $300, with 8 cores.

I want to blow ~3Gs on a 16-core behemoth, but I can't justify that.

It's fast as fuck already, and the Xeon may not overclock as well, lol. Decisions, decisions...

I do know from experience: 4 cores at 4GHz beats 6+ cores slower than that, in 99% of games.

And 6 cores at 4+ GHz beats 4 Cores at 4+ GHz, from experience, same mobo and memory and all.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.