Best $200 i ever spent on pc stuff...or was it $1000....or was it $10,000??? - TCCoA Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By guitar maestro

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Best $200 i ever spent on pc stuff...or was it $1000....or was it $10,000???

I bought these Focal JMLXSBOOK XS Book Music System for a 2.1 system for my office. Jaw dropping. Buy a set for yourself before they're gone. They were worth the $500 they were selling for when they were still being produced, let alone the measly $200 Amazon is selling them for. The midrange is so transparent and revealing, its downright scary. I can't even fathom what their Grand Utopia, $188,000-a-pair signature loudspeakers sound like.

I combined them with this Infinity Primus PS38 150W Powered Subwoofer (Black), and its bar-none the absolute best sounding self-amplified 2.1 system I've ever heard.
Woodman likes this.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro

and no, I did not pick the color for the walls in my office, lol.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:20 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks for the review. I'm in the market for a set of desktop speakers. I'll keep those in mind.

BTW, I love Infinity speakers. I've got a bonus room full of them ...

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Thanks for the review. I'm in the market for a set of desktop speakers. I'll keep those in mind.

BTW, I love Infinity speakers. I've got a bonus room full of them ...
No prob. The other choices I had in mind were the B&W MM-1s. Also retail for ~$500. Supposedly they are on-par if not better than the Focal XS's that I bought, because they have a high-quality internal DAC that takes the [usually mediocre] PC soundcard out of the equation. But they have smaller woofers (3") vs the Focal's 4" woofers. Even then, using my laptop's standard headphone output and a low-grade $20 headphone-to-RCA adapter cable from Amazon, the Focal's sound amazing. I don't even have to mess with the EQ or anything----they are perfectly balanced and neutral across their entire range. Obviously the bass drops off sharply below around 70Hz, but that is expected from small midwoofers in very small enclosures---but that's where the Infinity sub kicks in. Now, I don't mind working 12hrs a day. I kinda look forward to after-3:45pm because I can crank it up a bit. Everyone that passes by my office compliments me on how good my music sounds, even if it's metal. They don't even know what I'm listening to, but they can tell there is something about the sound that makes them notice it.

The only other choice would be Dynaudio MC-15s. $1299/pr, retail. I'm not convinced they would sound better than the Focal's, although I bet they would certainly sound way louder. They have something like 50WPC, where as my 18WPC is plenty for an office.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 06:30 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

I bet the staff at your school loves Napalm Death and all.

My co-workers all liked Marilyn Manson, until they knew who it was.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

hehe, I play everything really. I find myself going back and listening to old recordings and enjoying them more than ever, now that everything sounds so much better.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 06:12 PM

I managed to dump all my CD's to hires audio files years ago; as my taste changes, I tend to listen to different stuff.

The last albums I've bought were all Vinyl. Amazon gives you digital copies, so it's all good.

I have one mix that I love; it drives Everyone else insane, lol.

It includes: Onslaught, Snoop, Taylor Swift, Frank Sinatra, 2 live crew, Motorhead, Eminem, Metallica, Megadeth, and many others.

Best line I've caught from a video:

Beware of Platitudinous Ponderosities - Rick from Cheap Trick.

You still in a band?

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

So I upgraded the office speakers to Focal Aria 905's. Running of a Peavey CS800X (one of THESE), being fed from a Behringer Ultragain Pro MIC2000 Vacuum Tube Pre-amp. Love it.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
Love it.

Don't you work for a religious school?

Do they have any Idea how loud that would go, before the speakers burned?

I bet Your desktop has more power than their whole system, unless you built theirs , lol.
Can I send you a mix tape?

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Don't you work for a religious school?

Do they have any Idea how loud that would go, before the speakers burned?

I bet Your desktop has more power than their whole system, unless you built theirs , lol.
Can I send you a mix tape?
Nah it's not a religious school, it's a S.T.E.M. charter school. Some staff knows how loud it can go, if they stay late enough in the day/evening

Yea, the P.A. "system" here is aweful, lol. Mixed tapes are fine, so long as they're in digital format.

So, I guess I should change the title of this thread to the "best $1000" I've spent on PC stuff. But really the best was getting my Asus G752. Love this thing.

Last edited by guitar maestro; 02-02-2017 at 04:11 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:06 PM

Cool, IDK where I got that idea.

I'd be jammin too, if I'm working after hours in a mostly empty building.

I'm in at 6, out at 3; but from 6-8 I can jam, most days.

My janitor won't let me listen to rap anymore; got caught singing along, uncensored.

Everyone know if I have my door closed, and am jamming to a metal mix, not to disturb me unless it's an emergency.

I have this one mix for finalizing a set of PCB files, and that job has to be done in a perfect sequence; if it's not right it won't work correctly.

Disturbed, manson white zombie; if I get to the wrong song at the wrong step point, I know I've Fucked up somewhere, and have to start over.

It's a strange way to deal with highly repetitive tasks, but it works for me.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

I temporarily swapped out to B&W 686's and added a dbx 234xs crossover unit to get better integration between the subs and speakers without relying on guesswork.

As you can see, I have much more clutter on my desk during my busy season.....

I also added a cheapie vacuum tube headphone pre-amp upstream of the already nice Behringer tube pre-amp.

...but I can't decide which speakers to keep using. The B&Ws, or the Focal's........ugghhh...life's difficult choices for me......Lord have mercy on me, I'm only one man, my mind can only handle so much.....

Mission Control. Houston, we have lift-off....

Here is the vacuum tube pre-amp at home, with no flash to obscure the raw powah of the toobz...

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:28 PM
̇

Garage
That little tube pre-amp looks sweet..

Judging by your taste in audio gear, I think it would be safe to assume you're listening to more than just metal..lol

It would be a pity, not to enjoy other types of music on such fabulous gear..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Absolutely! Listen to the crisp, amazing sound of baritone/bass male vocals on this British-origin symphony/concerto.....

Please select 1080P and crank up your speakers to listen to details and nuances like you never have before....

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 04:12 PM
̇

Garage

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Vacuum tube upgrade complete. The Behringer got the gold-pin Tung-Sol 12AX7s, and the Douk pre-amp got the Tung-Sol's I took out of my Behringers. Used 12AX7-to-6N3 adapters from Ebay, and they worked perfectly. And a big ol' Sovtek 6AS7G.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.