GPU Cards - NVIDIA 1070 vs ATI RX 480 vs ???? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
GPU Cards - NVIDIA 1070 vs ATI RX 480 vs ????

All:
I'm not a super serious gamer (don't have the time for it anymore) but i do notice that even when I'm playing even some less graphically intensive games, my fans in my HTPC start going full blast. It's a decent machine (i5, 16GB RAM, SSD) but the GPU is a 2 generations old R9 270X that was a handmedown from a friend. My display is the Samsung TV @ 1080p.

Anyway, while I'm not serious enough about gaming to want to spend $400+ on an NVIDIA 1070, I was VERY intrigued when I saw that AMD missed their performance targets and really went the value play to drop the pricing on their RX 480 GPUs.

I recently pulled the trigger @ Newegg on an XFX RADEON RX 480 w/ 8GB for $175+tax @ Newegg (after MIR and AMEX OFFER). That's >66% the performance of a 1070 for <50% the price w/ the promise of better DX12 acceleration once games move to that API.
UserBenchmark: AMD RX 480 vs Nvidia GTX 1070

Considering this card is still decent enough to do VR (if I ever get a handmedown Oculus/Vive - no way in hell I'm going to spend $500 for one of those HMDs) and I'm not going to spend $400-500 on a GPU or buy a fancier 4K TV anytime soon, I think it's a helluva buy for my needs.

Regards,
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:32 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Sounds like you got what you needed and nothing more. Good choice.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Would a 1060 have been a better choice?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:50 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
The 1060 comes with up to 6 GB of VRAM @ $240. For $30 more and 2 less GB of VRAM than the AMD you bought it move you up three notches from 16 to 13. Yes, for $30 more it would have been a better card - if you're bench marking.

For what you do? You wouldn't notice the difference except your wallet would be $30 lighter.

UserBenchmark: AMD RX 480 vs Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 06:04 AM

NVIDIA 1070 should be a pretty good choice for you.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 09:31 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Are you using the stock Intel fan? What case are you using?

If it's a low profile one I recommend this Cryorig, or this Noctua.

The Cryorig is cheaper, cools better, but is a little louder at max temp and the fan can't be flipped to blow air away from the heatsink.

I own the Cryorig and love it. It never gets above 75C when stress testing and in games I float around 55C. The fan is not noticeably loud at all and my computer sits on my desk. I had the Intel stock cooler for almost a week and I thought I was going to go insane, even a 4k Youtube video made the fan ramp up to louder than I'd like.

The RX 480 is a great bang for buck card. The Nvidia 1060 performs a little better for a little more money, but we'll see how DX12 changes things up. Overall it sounds like you have a very solid system!

-Daniel

My driving is a constant struggle between wanting good gas mileage and driving like I'm Mario Andretti.

http://forums.tccoa.com/30-videos-images/134659-pacific-green-bird-4.html

1997 Pacific Green Thunderbird LX- Stock 201xxx miles Daily Driver
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
This is my HTPC and really the only "gaming" platform i use (don't game that much).
@rf-harris : Sure, a 1070 would be a good fit for me but it's also >2x more expensive.

@SuperThunderbirdLX : I have a water cooled setup - Corsair H60. This allowed me to eliminate 1 fan (on the CPU) and just have one 120mm fan pushing air through the radiator and out the back. I switched to this a year or so ago and it has worked well

The case is an old Coolermaster HTPC case I've been using for the last 8 years; it apes a piece of home theater equipment and has served me well. The PS is some fancy high dollar, high efficiency PSU I bought at Frys when the last one died.

-g

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 05:27 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

I just bought a Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 with 8Gb of gddr5; it's Way faster than my 7970 crossfire rig, and Way cheaper+less power.

A year from now I can buy another one for crossfire even cheaper, like I did with the 7970's, lol.

Nivida could run a free promo for head and I'd stay home; they pissed me off years ago.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:52 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
How'd they piss you off?

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
How'd they piss you off?
They promised but never delivered video capture drivers for WinXP64 for a GTX card I blew a bunch of cash on.
I actually talked to a rep at the time, otherwise, I wouldn't be pissed.

I bought an ATI card, and their drivers worked fine.

This was at least 10 years ago, lol.

I've done ATI and then AMD crossfire systems for years, with few issues; stuttering and texture popping being the worst ones.

Texture popping was Video card memory related (pair of 7970's=6GB), and the stuttering was fixed by changing a setting.

I have a pair of 7970s, and the 480 is supposed to be faster, with more memory, 8GB.

I'll find out, lol.

Have any of you guys played the new Doom game?

It's an old school shooter; with both single player and multiplayer, but by playing Arcade Mode, you get around the fucked up leveling, (with 500 levels, no shit) and play straight-up full speed all-weapons version against demons, for points.
It's Insanely fast; when you get killed, it's usually a surprise, lol.

And it's all "RUN!!!", all the time; stop to aim at something in the distance, and something behind you will eat you.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 04:10 PM

Garage
What do I write first??
A: that's a great deal you scored on the card.
B: I've been in I.T. since 1989...second job was inventory manager for San Diego's largest independent chain of computer stores for a few years. I've seen hardware come and go, learned when to buy RAN and CPUS. Always said "I'd never..." and always did. But when it comes to video cards, I can't see spending 175 for video card, let alone 2 4 a thousand dollars on. Video cards. I game a little.
I'm running an i5 4th gen, 16GB DDR3, and 2 GEForce 9800 gtx+ SLI.
Even one is excellent. If Nvidia had just kept up the Direct X support on them...
They run fastener, better and cooler than the R9-270 I got for my kid, and they are, what, ten years old??
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoville619 View Post
What do I write first??
A: that's a great deal you scored on the card.
B: I've been in I.T. since 1989...second job was inventory manager for San Diego's largest independent chain of computer stores for a few years. I've seen hardware come and go, learned when to buy RAN and CPUS. Always said "I'd never..." and always did. But when it comes to video cards, I can't see spending 175 for video card, let alone 2 4 a thousand dollars on. Video cards. I game a little.
I'm running an i5 4th gen, 16GB DDR3, and 2 GEForce 9800 gtx+ SLI.
Even one is excellent. If Nvidia had just kept up the Direct X support on them...
They run fastener, better and cooler than the R9-270 I got for my kid, and they are, what, ten years old??
For the NVIDIA fans out there, the best BF deal I saw for a GTX 1070 w/ 8GB is now ~$335 w/ a new AAA game (Watchdogs 2). I still can't justify the $$$ vs the RX 480 for me but others might want to jump on this deal.
https://slickdeals.net/f/9436427-asu...src=SiteSearch

If you want a second R9 270 card for your kid, PM me with what you think it's worth to you (all of my friends who care have faster cards now and I really don't need that for my server). I just pulled this card out of my HTPC and there isn't even dust on the card (which goes to show that i probably really didn't need to upgrade).

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 06:58 PM

I like the RX 480, it's a nice card.

It draws less than half the power my 7970 crossfire setup did, and runs ~20 fps faster in the games I've checked; There's no texture popping in Rage, and Doom rocks Ass.

The Arcade Mode is the most fun for me, no artificial shot modifier, hit-what-you-shoot-action.

That's the part I miss from the old games; the 'percentagee' is a spillover from the consoles, which have auto aim.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.